Advice on how to get better

Hey everyone! I’ve been yoyoing pretty casually for maybe 7 years or so but stopped trying to learn new stuff really early on. I really want to step my game up but the reason why I stopped before is because most of the tricks I wanted to learn incorporated whips/lacerations/pops, which I was terrible at doing and got really discouraged.

As of right now I can do everything up until Advanced 2. I guess what I’m asking is how did everyone learn what they know so far? Is there another trick list that you recommend? How do you get good at whips/lacerations? Is there a preferred string type?

Any help would be much appreciated.

As what most or all people will say, practice practice and practice.

Of course there will be some tricks that take quite a bit longer to learn. What I noticed with lacerations and whips tend to be a bit easier when the string is pretty neutral on it’s twist. What I mean is, say a brand new string, the twists in it would allow a slack that doesn’t start to turn within itself and instead allows you to make a U shape. When it starts to get tight on it’s twist, the string tends to want to twist into itself like a braid or churro twist which doesn’t allow the string to maintain a controllable shape for whips and lacerations as well as slack string tricks. I do notice that new to pretty new (around 2 hours of casual play) has the string still fairly easy to do these tricks, once you see fraying and wear on the string, they’re still doable, but it tends to be a little more difficult to control the string.
As for string type, I’ve had experience with basic 100% cotton, slick 6 and 100% poly. I think the only difference is the break in time of when the string starts to give you less control.

As far as I know, is don’t think there’s really a “set” of tricks to recommend. I mean plastic whip (which I didn’t know it had a name for it since I’ve been doing that since 2001) gives a nice feel for you to learn whips since I personally prefer using my thumb as a hook for my whips.

I learned pretty much by just practicing. Same goes with pops…but that can vary depending on what pops you’re trying to learn.

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

Practice and watch different tutorial videos. This really helped me, you find different perspectives and learn quicker if not super fast

Slacks and whips can be done on any string, however something slightly slicker such as YYSL Venom does whip and slack a bit faster and easier than standard poly, which can help slightly. It won’t make up for a lack of practice, but it can give you that slight edge over a normal string.

That being said, as was mentioned above, it all comes down to practice. I spent hours upon hours of tedious whipping trying to get the hang of Brent Stole, and only stopped when my wrist started spasm-ing. However eventually I got the hang of them and now I can hit them pretty consistently.

Try not to let it get to you too much. It can be frustrating when you’re trying to learn them, but once it eventually clicks it’s definately worth it.

Also, dont feel like you have to stay stuck to a trick list. Try experimenting with some of your own stuff or trying to combine what you have so far into new combos. Make sure the stress of constantly learning new things doesn’t take away from the fun of actually yoyoing.

CLYW have tonnes of ‘Cabin Tutorials’ on youtube that you can look at as well, but they range in difficulty so some of them may be a bit too advanced at this point. Still worth a look at any rate. :slight_smile:

There’s no answer other than “practice”. The only way to get better is to practice.

The only way to get more diverse is to learn (tutorials) or create (if that’s your bag) new elements.

And then get better at them with practice. :wink:

None of it means a thing if it’s not fun. “Practice” should feel like just playing, unless you’re in crunch time for a competition, at which time I understand that doing the same routine over and over again can be a drag but a drag that some people feel is necessary.

But if you’re not competing? Why pressure yourself? Learn at the pace that is fun. And if it’s more fun for you to get better and take it to the next level, it should feel fun to go hard at it. :wink:

The biggest help that I have had learning new stuff is from being around people that are better players than I am. Lucky for me, that’s a lot of people… If you don’t have friends that throw, try to make it to a contest, or if you travel, check for a local yoyo scene, the feedback from people watching how you throw can be invaluable. Going to a contest or club can be a huge jump start.
As for tricks to help you, my theory is to find any trick you like the look of with any of the elements you are trying to learn, then pick it apart. Look at each move as one section, and just start at it one piece at a time. Try to find all different examples or tutorials on that one trick as possible, some will be better for you than others
If I like the looks of a trick and start trying to learn it but I don’t like the way it feels, I go on to a different trick that is more fun to learn. Being a slow learner, I have to spend a whole bunch of time with some things, so while I don’t mind struggling through a trick for weeks or even months, it’s got to be something that feels more rewarding than frustrating.
Lastly, don’t be afraid to reach out to people. Most folks are happy to try to share what they know, but try to be specific when getting help. In other words, if you have a problem with Spirit Bomb, don’t just ask someone,“how do you do Spirit Bomb?” ask them, “what do you think I am doing wrong if the string is always in a knot after I do the second pop in Spirit Bomb?”

What has been said so far is pretty spot on, you need to practice practice practice. It’s like learning any other skill you might want to be a master at.

First things first, Knowledge is Key. So spend time watching tutorials, reading forums, reading Yo-Yo related literature, maybe some self help books to overcome limiting beliefs and any mental stumbling blocks you may encounter. Yo-Yo’ing can be a good tool to expand your awareness and mental aptitude.

Second, put what you learn into Practice. You have to BECOME to DO in order to HAVE. But first you got to believe that you can BE. I don’t think the “BE-DO-HAVE” formula was suggested yet but, it drives the point home that you have to Be It, then you have to Do It, and then you’ll Have It. That’s why constant repetition is really the only way to learn new tricks and enhance your skills.

Third, repeat over and over again. Constant repetition of learning and practicing over long periods of time is the only real necessity to get to the level of Yo-Yoing you desire. It is the constant repetition of the motions, the maneuvers, pops, flips, gyrations, saults, and on and on that build it With-Inward into Applicable Knowledge backed Skill that can be expressed With-Outward.

A good amount of your favorite music going on in the background may help you get there as well, so create a play-list of your favorite tunes and try to knock out 2-3 hour sessions a day if you have the time and stamina. It would be the same thing if you were trying to become body builder or working out.

“No Pain, No Gain”??

tutorials are overrated

Here’s what works for me:

1. Schedule a time for focused practice. Yoyo with the intention of getting better and reaching a goal.

2. Spend some time just enjoying yo-yoing. The goal being to have fun and enjoy yo-yoing, just being in the moment.

3. Whole / Part / Whole practice

4. Always stop on my best performance, never stop on my worst. This helps with muscle memory.

5. Remember why I yoyo.

6. If I had a group to yoyo with, I would. Use all resources for inspiration.

One word… PRACTICE O0

That’s actually the BEST advice you could receive, that’s how I developed my initial bag of tricks as a young man. A group to Yo-Yo with or Friends to Yo-Yo with is the fastest way to learn, hands down. This of course was easier in the 90’s when everybody was Yo-Yoing but try to get your friends involved if you can. There is also potential value to be had in showing others how to perform your own tricks, those who are willing to learn.

Okay i know alot of people are saying practice, but too much practice and focusing on how bad you are isn’t always the best thing to do it can be detrimental to your playing. something you should try is when you throw and you get this crazy idea follow that idea and if it doesn’t work just hold the mess of string in your hand look at what you did and try to see what you did wrong and what you could do to change it. This is how 90% of my personal tricks came about and 99% percent of my knots came from too. Do not be afraid to try new things, people didn’t like the automobile at first.

That’s all a part of practice. Or as I like to call all of it: having fun.