Zach Gormley Tension Hook Trick **NEW TUTORIAL**

Hey guys I remade the tutorial for the tension hook trick. Hopefully it helps out some more people. It’s an awesome trick that everyone should learn.

1 Like

If you are right handed, how do you interpret the tutorial?
Do everything inverted?

Just mirror everything I do I guess. Sorry dude. Not skilled enough to do this trick right handed :smiley:

Thank you for redoing this tutorial Alex! I hope I can get it down now. I don’t understand what’s taking me so long! Lol :smiley:

All that counts is that you learn it. It took me a whole weekend of rewinding Zach’s section of the Summit Documentary to figure out how to do it.

Its ok, I’m not skilled enough to do it left-handed xD (Nor right-handed…)

You could do what I did and download the video for offline viewing and reverse it in a movie editor. :wink:

Still can’t get the trick yet, mind you… haha!

Thanks for doing the tutorial over, it’s very well done. Sometimes language gets in the way of explaining tricks.
If a picture is worth a thousand words, imagine how valuable a tutorial with multiple camera angles and
slow motion is.

Ok, I got a question for the right handed people whom have accomplished this trick. When you land the trick, does it land you in a trapeze like shown in the vid, or in a bind setup once the thumb segment is let go?

I think I’m landing it, but once I let the thumb segment go at the end, I’m in a bing mount, not a regular trapeze. Any help please?

Trapeze, and occasionally green triangle which I presume happens when the string tangles up mid air due to tension.

You interpret it the way it is shown. Figure it out. You cant find out how to do a trick from watching a tutorial alone you need to actually try it. This is a simple trick that is very easy to figure out and this tutorial did a great job of showing how to do it. It really doesnt matter what hand he used lol

I have NO problem with the tutorial, but I still don’t “get” it. As I work my way through it, I’m hoping the combination of tutorial and practical application reveal the trick to me, but those of us who aren’t particularly good yoyoers aren’t going to intuit how to do it. :wink:

I agree it doesn’t matter what hand he used, though. I just don’t find it a “very easy to figure out” trick!

So completely wrong. Half of of the tricks I learn, it is all done in my head alone first. Often land it first or second try. It is a skill that you have to develop, but have not been forced into so it is natural that you haven’t developed the skill.

At OP: Love the tut! I completely misunderstood what was going on before, but now I get it!

Just in case some people hasnt downloaded the video to replay in slow mo

Realize that the NTH hasnt moved from 1 through 3. With this in mind, observe the yoyo’s position relative to the NTH during 1-2 and consider the possible coordinated movements of TH/NTH that can result in the yoyo following such a trajectory, especially the direction of the TH, and to a lesser extent also the time to let go the NTH string and the yoyo’s position at this point of time.
In OP’s video the yoyo is raised up in a separate step relative to the NTH at the first step, essentially serving the same purpose but can be confusing for a learner trying to feel the natural flow of this trick.

Cool, thanks. Yeah, I was landing g it in a green triangle multiple times, as well as a reverse way in a bind position. But, I have financed it a few times the correct way. I just gotta practice to get it to land the right way more often.

Greg, what part are you having trouble with? I’m glad I’m not the only one having so much trouble with this trick! Lol

Oh, and thanks kadabrium for the extra pics and the more in depth breakdown of what’s going on. All I can do is keep practicing.

The all of it. :wink:

I lose track of all the string segments while getting into the mount, so I can’t even land THAT part consistently. HOWEVER… I know I can do that with enough practice and clearing my head, so I’ll circle back around to it.

In the meantime, I cheat into the mount by doing a double-or-nothing and then rolling onto the throwhand trapeze. This produces the same formation.

Once in the mount, things continue to go wrong:

1. If I’m not super careful, I start to tilt out
  2. My NTH forefinger feels “jammed up” by the string segment near the knuckle… so it’s hard to apply tension to the part near the tip of the finger, and uncomfortable to “release” it.
  3. When I finally release the loop from the NTH forefinger, it flips around about 270 degrees… the loop stalls out when it’s pointing outward on the NTH side, about a quarter revolution from being able to hook onto the yoyo
  4. The yoyo seems to fall too fast for a loop to ever get around it even if the “whip” didn’t stall out

So yeah. Every single portion of the trick is where I’m having trouble.

Yeah, I just been getting into the formation from a double or nothing as well. I can land into the mount the correct way shown in the vid, but it’s just easier for me to practice landing the whole trick for the double or nothing since it’s a little faster. Once I can consistently complete the trick, then I’ll start performing the trick the correct way as being demonstrated in the tutorial.

But you and I seem to being having the same exact problems with the learning of this trick. I can get the loop to swing around, but the end trick has been mostly landing in a GT which isn’t right. I’ve been practicing this for awhile now and should have it down at this point but just can’t seem to get it. :frowning: lol

1 Like

Ok, it’s been a few weeks since I last posted in this thread about needing help with this trick… And I still can’t seem to land it in the correct way. I get everything down the right way, including the tension loop, but when it swings over and lands, it always, for the most part, lands backwards, to were you can just do a normal bind right from that position. In the vid posted by the OP, it always lands in a trapeze position with a segment tucked back with the thumb on the nth.

Now, I know the OP is left handed which means the tricks is basically in the opposite direction of a right handed thrower. Now, is a throwing that’s right handed supposed to land the trick like how I described I’m landing g it, or should it still land like how the left handed OP is?

Please, any righties who can do this trick, please chime in and help. This trick is really stressing me out! >:(

Happens ALL the time to me, still. I haven’t solved it and it’s causing me some pain as well. It’s going to be a matter of experimentation and finding the right formula. And that’s hard when the string whips around and catches in a way that feels less controlled and more like magic.

But the bottom line is simply: it depends on which part of the loop hits the gap, and whether it hits the front or back.

Here’s a low-quality video of both the “success” and “failure” if it helps. I did the sequence kinda dumb… I should’ve gone: fail, fail slow-mo; good, good slow-mo. But instead I did fail, good, fail slow-mo, good slow-mo. It’s a counter-intuitive order. Sorry bout that!

So, the video helped me solve how I WANT the loop to hit the yoyo to do it “right”. However, I still don’t know how to adjust the angle of my fingers, the "forward/back"ness of each finger relative to the yoyo, or whatever is needed in order to get it to work.

It SEEMS to work better if after “pulling the trigger” with the NTH I am extra-careful to keep it pointed straight forward or slightly outward, while my instinct (as you can see in the “failure” one) is to point slightly inward… it’s totally reflexive, my brain trying to “guide” the loop; however, pointing inward does not guide the loop the way my brain thinks it does. It’s been a tough habit to break!

Plus, I just still fail a lot. Period. I don’t know how to get this trick consistent or consistently correct.

1 Like

I find it interesting how your yoyo does not go anywhere as near the NTH index as mine does.
just a curious thing to point out, not saying either one is wrong and i dont think my accuracy is any better than yours anyway.