A Year of Fixed Axle - "Fixed Axle '15"

I’ve got a couple of those that I pick up on occasion, but I don’t possess the know-how to pull off the wood axle swap.

Well ill be joining you guys… i just bought a tom kunz lightning.

Sorry, but, I have yet to try it. The earliest I know of any one taking one apart is JayVee back in 2010.

GUYS. Get a Playmaxx Cold Fusion. You can switch out the bearing and spacers for a wood axle. It plays like a dream.

Not sure if serious…

It’s easy

Thank you, yooldman! They popped out with ease. You and Nolan inspired me. I’ve been throwing these ProFlys for nearly a month now. I can loop 10+ times with my right hand and 5 times with my left. I tried with both hands simultaneously and got 3 loops each before I had to dive for cover! ;D

I’ve been using my wood yoyos too, but after jazzing these up, it’s hard to put them down.

ah the orange is especially dope. i think my idea turned out dumb, but at least its somethin.

i cant seem to find any clear ones like higby uses, are his proyos instead?

No I like the dollar. It’s cool looking. It’s just… did you cut up a buck to do that? It increased the cost of the yoyo if you did. :wink:

Oh and yes. Higby uses Proyos. I’m going to get a couple of those too, I think. But, I can’t paint like that, so I’ll probably just use them for looping.

One last one:

1 Like

Is that a pheonix? It’s awesome regardless.

And I also liked the dollar bill, it’s quite awesome.

2 Likes

well thanks dudes, i think i forgot that money isnt really that green… it would be like if i used a picture of a glass of water on a blue yoyo hah.

i gotta say the profly is a stall machine. its nice to have a super cheap wood axle yoyo. i definitely like the idea of butterflys more than i like them, but maybe i ought to throw a dowel in one.

also wondering if anyone has put some of those big o rings in their profly. ive seen it done online but usually its accompanied by a bearing conversion.

Now that you mention it, it sort of looks like a phoenix. But, no, it’s just a picture of some fire I found online. I made it to match the purple fire on one of the other ones.

Nolan, I have seen the O-ring mod, but have never done it. At this point, I think I’ll stick with the designed response of the yoyo. My only mod for now will be those caps. I found the original designs to be less than desirable, so I’m happy with them now. And you’re right! I can really do stalls with the ProFlys. I just can’t snap it out into another one. Still working on that.

Nearly one month down, guys! I’m going looping crazy!

ah i see what you saw. i was referring to bigger orings, or weigh rings more specifically on the outside cup, kinda like the tk rd weight rings.

like this:

I’d try that out on a Fixie. Any idea what was used for the rings? Maybe a little more weight would give it a better flip on a kick or varial. If you can figure out what that material is, I’ll be the guinea pig.

i’ve just heard that its a huge rubber o-ring from a freehand 2. maybe a hardware store would have them?

Looks like just a thick oring. Buna/ nitrile should be the least expensive elastomer to purchase, but I’m not sure of the exact size. You will need to know not only the diameter but the actual thickness of the ring. That one is probably size 3 or 4 for thickness, of course part numbers may vary.

Oh! I see. I was thinking of something else. Those are rubber o-rings, right? Yes, you can find those at many hardware stores. Or search for “o-rings sizing chart” on Google. There’s lots of results for sources. You might also find metal washers that might do the same thing.

Incidentally, what is the result of adding extra weight to the rims? Faster rotation? Longer spin time? Would that also result in wearing out the string faster?

you guys see these little mafs that yoyospirit made?

cant see myself using them but its great to see new stuff being made for old stuff.

http://i.imgur.com/4CNGpDQ.jpg?1

So I popped the caps out of one of my Higby ProFlys because the axle wouldn’t re tighten correctly and now I’ve got a Higby yoyo and a set of Higby caps. How in the world do I get these things back in the sides?

They’re card stock paper, right? Kind of thick paper? There’s a groove that they fit into and if you just push them in, they should pop right into that groove. Press it in at (for example) 12 o’clock and then work your way around pressing until they pop in.

If they’re not card stock paper, take a picture of them so we can see what you’re working with.