A Year of Fixed Axle - "Fixed Axle '15"

Great video! I have bad legs so I sit when I throw also.

Thanks.

Fixed Friday DOUBLE FEATURE!!!
I’ve been playing with bearings all year, too, but pretty much all of the original content I’ve come up with has still been on fixed. A lot of this stuff is cut from clips I’ve shared on Instagram, but every so often I need to clear space on my computer and it’s easy to put clips I want to remember together like this. :slight_smile:

Anyway… Volume 7:

aaaaaaand my favorite so far:

2 Likes

What?

Sorry Zorro, I meant MikeEff.

So MikeEff, I hope the foot is doing better.

Thank you Ed for the terrific videos. I am constantly amazed with what you, in particular, and the many others are able to do with a fixed axle. Try as I might, I have yet to get beyond the basics.

Fixed axle Friday and got a tmbr Lovejoy. From yyf I really love it. Like really. Love it. Its so awsome.

thanks, holmes! it’s a labor of love.

For TMBR wood-thread yo-yos (Sullivan, Moxon, Eh 2014, etc.) how do you kids add additional response? A new string has almost zero response for me and I’d like to do a lot of shoot the moons and stalls with my Eh 2014.

I just learned over the weekend that you can apply a little beeswax lip balm to the end of a new string and for me it responds perfectly most of the time (that tip was HUGE). But I wouldn’t mind getting a little less thunk and a little more power off the throw and on regens.

What are you guys doing? What are my other options to try?

the baldwin has these response holes if your yoyo has that then fill it with flowable silicone. it worked on my yoyo but it starts off really responsive and takes awhile to break in.

Well, I hit a year of fixed axle only yo-yoing at midnight tonight. It’s ironic that the year I decided to be more intentional about my yo-yoing is the year that I ended up having far less time to yoyo than I have in a long time. Oh well. It’s been real nonetheless. :slight_smile:

Who else is has stuck with the fixed axle challenge?

I’m still at it. I’ll admit that my yoyo time has also been limited for the last few months too, though. You may remember that I had 2 separate foot surgeries that put a major damper on my throwing time this summer. I got back into it last month though. I primarily have been focusing on looping but still can’t loop with 2 hands (unless you count looping with both hands simultaneously 2 handed looping). Trying to alternate with each hand has only reached 3 loops for each hand before I lose complete control. I have also had some fun (I think it’s called) kick starting my ProFlys. I basically let the yoyo unwind to the floor and then stomp on one side causing it to shoot out, spin, and roll up the string into my hand. I can do it with both yoyos simultaneously using the side of my foot rather than my toe, so the yoyos shoot out to the sides and roll up into my hands. That’s probably the most fun thing I’ve done recently. :smiley:

I’m still working on my 2 handed looping though. I have had a Loop 900 for a long time, and I finally ordered a second one and some thick lube. They’re due to arrive by Nov 10th or 11th. But this means I’d have to abandon the fixed axles since the 900’s use a bearing.

I personally don’t think I would have made it this far with my looping if I hadn’t worked so long with fixed axles, though, so I’m really glad I took on this challenge. It has also made my most recent yoyo club at school a ton of fun because I have 14 kids and only 2 of them had any yoyoing experience. Having a bunch of fixed axles on hand was a great way to get the kids started with a lot of the beginner tricks. And after just a few weeks, a number of them have already purchased their own yoyos and are entering the 1A world. So all in all, it’s been a good experience all around.

1 Like

I never did commit but I have been throwing more f/a this year. One result of this interest in “fixe-axle” is that I have gained a really fine collection of Duncan Butterfly’s dating back to the fifties.

I’m still at it . My recent fixed axle project was to hollow out the inside of an fh2 to fit a profly axle. If worked and I’m so proud because I did it by hand literally with a hand drill and cutting tools. It came out great.

pictures? that sounds awesome

Just a little less than a week left of the Fixed Axle ‘15 challenge. It’s been a pretty rad growing and learning experience sticking with just fixed axle for almost 16 months now, but I have to say, I’m pretty stoked to go back to playing whatever I feel like playing when the mood strikes me. :slight_smile:

How’re things going with the rest of you who’ve stuck with it?

Time for Fixed Axle ‘16’.

i’ve probably played ~90% fixed this year. It’s kind of just become my default. Really stoked on the new “eh” model. It’s JUST a bit beefier and spins JUST a bit longer than last year’s (with broken in axles, obviously). Throwing fixed is definitely part of my daily routine. It’s amazing right now to have good people dedicated to the craft of making quality fixed throws AND good people dedicated to the craft of throwing them! Definitely was NOT the case just a few years back.

High five to anybody who set a goal and stuck it out!

A whole year of fixed axle is a little intimidating. But I plan on doing at least one month of just fixed axle during 2016. I haven’t purchased any fancy ones. I just a variety of cheapos. I have a ProFly, a Manta Ray, a plastic Butterfly, and a retro wooden Butterfly.

One year is quite a leap for those of us that are not experts, but like Ed, I was probably 90-95% fixed while a few times picking up the non-responsive throws to try some random stuff.

2016 will most likely be the same, no wacky challenges, just keeping the fixed love going and hopefully getting better.