A Year of Fixed Axle - "Fixed Axle '15"

Watched eds tuts and and while looping tried some tricks on my Duncan Pulse.

Was trying to get the trapeze stall but couldn’t get the yoyo return in mid air then tried undermount felt easier and yay I hit my first fixed axle trick then just hit it 2 times i think like in 20 tries. Really nice not literally fixed axle but the pulse is imperial modified shape so I think it balances. Is it easier to do on a fixed axle yoyo like outs tmbrs no jives proflys?

Hmmmm… very philosophical Ed. Also, where is eternal now?

The kickflip challenge is awesome, i think we’ll see some people really push the envelope on it.

Only had one reply to my question for a member run challenge… maybe another time.

I’d be into it, but wouldn’t be able to contribute at this time. Hoping I land this new job and then I could probably do a little something.

Today I realized that it’s been half a year since I started the fixed axle for a year challenge. For those of you who faced up to this challenge good luck for another 6 months of only fixed yoyos.

Ed? What ever happened with the No Jive Eternal video you started? Did the yoyo get lost? Or did no one have time to do it so it just came back to you? That would’ve been cool to see an entire video series made up with one yoyo and how different people play it.

Thanks, Sergio. I’m still sticking with it too. I mostly play when I take my dog out for his walks. I haven’t been practicing my 2 hand looping for a couple of months now, but I still always have a fixie with me. I recently chaperoned at our 8th grade field trip to Great America and got a lot of positive comments from people walking by while I was practicing fixed axle tricks. I even gave one of my ProYos to a 6 year old kid who forced his parents to let him stop and watch. The best part was seeing this kid’s face light up when I told him that the yoyo was for him. Totally made my day. His dad bought me a funnel cake as “payment”. Love those things.

No I still have it. Augie sent it back to me a couple years ago. He and Drew had it but weren’t able to finish a vid with it. That was 5+ years back. There are way more people into throwing fixed now.

Nice.

Sadly his pro-fly his first yo-yo into this journey broke. Thats fifteen dollars.

Had a great weekend. Carried my No Jive around all weekend, and worked almost exclusively on loops and Shoot-the-Moon. Happy to report I’m able to hit 20 clean loops right now, between a quarter to half with my left hand and Shoot-the-Moon is coming along great, think I hit 5 clean.

Work in progress, something I’ve neglected for a VERY long time. Was excited to be able to do these on a Butterfly shape No Jive also!

Love that people are still into this.

Still going strong with the woods. Perfecting shoot the moons is my current fixed challenge along with looping… 2A fixed axle…

I feel so bad cause I have been too busy and too tired to throw the past several days. I have to fix that. Perhaps with an old wood - wood axle - Duncan Butterfly.

I posted this on my instagram, but thought some here would get a kick out of it.

I’ve been searching for a San Francisco era Tom Kuhn No Jive or Clean Machine with no finish on it for some time now. I’ve found a good number of them, but no one wants to let them go. So I decided to take one of my SF era No Jives that I rarely play and convert it to an unfinished/raw No Jive. Here it is once I was finished, compared to another No Jive with the finish.

https://igcdn-photos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/t51.2885-15/11378001_900497936655247_2094589691_n.jpg

Since doing this I can’t put it down. The unfinished maple really plays different than the lacquered No Jives. So this has gone from just sitting in a box to being played.

I’ve got a small company in the works right now, and have thought about offering to do this for people if they were interested, but if there is enough interest I can post how I did it. Warning though, it took HOURS to finish it.

That looks awesome, Aaron! Nice work. It looks like it was professionally done.

Thanks Mike. It actually looks better now. When I took that photo it still had some rubbing alcohol that was evaporating from when I cleaned it up. I’m thinking of doing it to the other one in the photo also, but haven’t decided yet.

I can hit trpeze and front stall consistently but sometimes its too responsive sometimes unrespoany suggestions? Duncan Pro Fly.

I mean I can’t adjust tension with every throw. Lol.

I haven’t seen any progress reports. How are you guys who are only playing Fixed Axle for 2015 making out?

I’m not doing to well right now my higby profly cracked and I’m almost out of no jive axle one split in to 3 pieces. But other than that I’m using my tmbr baldwin and making alot of cotton strings.
Also I’ve been playing a lot of contra for the snes.

Is there anyone here that has done Fixie all year and nothing else? If so, congrats guys, that’s incredible.

I have been playing it all year.

3 Likes