Yoyos and physics

Hi guys :smiley:
Someone knows if yoyo companies are run by people who knows how physics works in a yoyo?
I mean Chris is an engineer, but i don’t know if the designers of other companies (yyf, yyr, recrev, OD, oxy, g^2, bist, ilyy, x^3, werrd, c3, and all the others) have a degree in something, and i want to know that :slight_smile:
Any help is appreciate

Do you want to know if they know physics? Or if they have a degree in “something”?

Judging from the designs, I do believe some actually understand physics to the point they don’t have to make too many prototypes to finish the design, and some simply make a lot of “blind” prototypes with the shape they want then test which plays the best.
In fact if you have access to CNC lathe (and good machinist) you can just make one, as long as it’s not too different than most yoyos out there, it will play well.

I don’t know about their degrees, but if it helps to know some of their professional backgrounds:

Carlo, the guy who runs Oxy, has a background in automotive engineering from working with/running his family business. Dale Bell from YoYoJam runs a company that designs and produces injection molded plastic fans, and used his injection molding experience/capabilities to start YoYoJam. The guys who run One Drop ran their machine shop for some years before using that to launch and produce their line of yoyos. RecRev was started by a teenager (as B.I.O. Industries) before he was in college.

1 Like

Thank god yoyos don’t have weight distribution to factor in

Both!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

Usefull! thanks :smiley:

Was that supposed to be sarcasm or I take it in the wrong way?

It wasn’t that hard to design a good working yoyo (from a yoyoer perspective), been there, done that… as long as you have capable machinist and don’t make some strange designs, it will work, granted. However, it’s not that simple if you want to make a yoyo behave in certain ways.

What I meant by “blind prototypes” was that, you can just make a design you think is good, test it, then alter the yoyo shape based on how it plays, test again, until you meet your need. Maybe saying “blind prototypes” is a bit an overstatement (my bad). Being able to “predict” how a yoyo will play based on the design will cut a lot of prototyping cost.

I know that Ernest Kaiser is an aerospace machinist. That’s why Gen-Yo is always so smooth. Alex from recrev makes vapes but he was making yoyos way before that and I’m not sure if he even went ot college, but he probably did.

1 Like

This may be contentious, but imho, making modern yoyos nowadays is more art than science.

Thats the truth ;D