Rim weight vs. center weight?

Not necessarily, in the case of “double rimmed” yoyos like the Chief

By “feels like a rock”, I thought you meant really stable.

I didn’t realize that you might have meant “heavy for its size”, which makes perfect sense.

Yes, heavy feeling. As in, lots of weight in the center doesn’t equal floaty

Looping yoyos have a lot of centre focused weight because it’s easier to turn them over but it’s tuned so it has the perfect weight for that half-turn

I like this visualization.

Theres no force exerted to the rim of a yoyo during normal play as opposed to a seesaw (lel except for tilt changing/horizontalization tricks which are the exact opposite); here you’r more like pushing the seesaw very near the central pivot, and as such the longer the seesaw arms, the harder itl be to turn it.
The Clashcube, 6, and Hop King are all quite stable. The clashcube, specifically, is more stable than the popstar, which has the same diameter but smaller width.

If anything, very wide yoyos could have more vibe. The only way to have a force exerted on the halves of the yoyo and triggering the seesaw fom its ends is when a certain point on the yoyo is made heavier (or any equivalent asymmetry). Only in this case will the extra bit of centrifugal force will be exerted on the yoyo from that point.

Ah… yeah. If the seesaw is perfectly balanced and you add equal force to both sides at the same time, it’s still not going to tilt. Well, I liked it while it lasted. :wink:

1 Like

Kyo’s analysis is correct. A wider yoyo will have a tendency to be more susceptible to vibe or unbalance due to the longer moment arm, likewise for a yoyo w/too much rim weight. A longer moment arm or increased rim weight have the same effect.

1 Like

More vibe, yes. But that’s not generally what’s meant by stability, which is the tendency to tilt.

I’m just not sure there’s an analogy there. Just like the flawed analogy of the wide wheel base of a vehicle which isn’t apt either because the forces are acting upon the object in a totally different way.

I wonder if the analogy of a tightrope walker with a pole fits in here? They hold a pole in order to have something to hold onto to help stabilize themselves. The pole’s low tendency to “tilt” is the favourable property here. You wouldn’t see a tightrope walker walking with a short barbell (the weight concentrated near the grip, in a wider diameter).

1 Like

Wide yoyo’s rim weight isn’t the reason they tilt easier

The only reason wide yoyos tilt easier is because it’s harder to balance.

Think about trying to lift a barbell with one arm, yeah the weights are on the end but same with a dumbbell.

Also, why aren’t looping yoyos super wide if it makes tilting easier??

think about it!

Also, rim weight isnt just weight pushed to the width, it pushed to the maximum diameter!

1 Like

I think there’s more to the looping yoyo analogy than just wide vs narrow. I don’t know what it is, but I suspect it’s deeper than that. Even if a wider yoyo was more apt to tilt easily, I would think it would also want to keep tilting once the tilt began due to inertia.

I disagree w/that. Stability is defined as the ability to stay in a given stable state or to return to that state if disturbed. Tilt is more likely due to a bad throw. By twisting my wrist one way or the other I can cause a yoyo to tilt, and a stable yoyo will stay in the tilted position. A yoyo w/o stability will continue to tip until it is spinning sideways.

I think it’s semantics. We probably agree. :wink: But just to be sure: if you are in a trapeze (for example) and you push one hand forward and the other back, the yoyo will start to tilt. Or if it’s tilted, you can do this in order to correct it.

Moving the hands the exact same amount, with the exact same length of string, the more “stable” yoyo will resist this tilt. This has benefits and drawbacks. The benefit is that sloppy play doesn’t knock it off-axis as easily, which is what people mean by “stability”. The downside is that it makes intentional plane changes a little slower.

I don’t think the amount of vibe factors into this kind of stability.

While that is true some yoyos are designed for off-axis play (low wall, shaped for minimum string contact) is a characteristic of stability, I find one of the traits of stability is how much finesse you need to use when landing on a string. More stable yoyo’s can land on a tight string easier where as really unstable yoyos will tilt if relief isn’t made in the string.

You are both wrong in your definition or idea of stability. Neither of those examples require stability or lack thereof.

Yes, in this respect you are correct.

This is all about opinion… again. Rim weight, for me, makes a yoyo more stable (I guess it’s my throw or something) and better for 5A because of that. Center weight is not quite as stable and takes a straight throw to not cause slight vibe.

But the example is exactly what leads into this second part that you say is correct. They’re the same thing. :wink: The “forward and backwards” of the hands is just the example of how you can do it surely and immediately. It’s a representative of what happens over time with sloppy play.

The ability to stay on-axis is stability.

Definitely not about opinion. It’s physics, and physics does not change from one person to the next.

It may be opinion of what you like, but the fact of the matter is:

rim weight= Stability. less tilting when strings rub against walls of yoyo. Generally will lead to longer spin times. More rim weight requires a more precise throw in order to get a smooth spin.

center weight= generally less vibe on a sloppy throw, but will tilt more easily. Better for regens because the yoyo will flip more easily, and have less vibe after the regen.

in my testing, I’ve found no real advantage to having lots of center weight. some people claim to believe center weight makes a yoyo more floaty or faster, But I have concluded that isn’t always the case. My superstars play very fast, while my mutant DNA plays slowly. I find speed or floatiness to have more of a reliance on overall weight rather than weight distribution.

I’m almost sure that your idea for vibe with center weight and rim weight are backwards…