Rim weight vs. center weight?

Rim weight vs. center weight
It seems like most people prefer to use yoyos with a higher rim weight. My current understanding of the pros and cons of rim and center weight are that rim weight usually allows for longer spin times and center wight is more stable. However, I have heard the word stable used to describe advantages of both rim weight and center weight. Leave your thoughts/opinions on the subject. Also, would having a lot of rim or center weight contribute to a yoyo feeling “fast” or “floaty” or is that more determined by other factors?

Rim weight makes a yoyo spin long and be stable. long spin and stability mean basically the same thing.

Center weight makes a yoyo unstable and spin less. It also makes the yoyo unwind faster with less “kickback” than a rim weighted yoyo. Center weight also makes a yoyo an extremely tiny bit faster(less force required to accelerate).

I think a center weighted yoyo is more likely to be called “floaty”, but I don’t know because the draupnir is described as floaty, but it has a lot of rim weight. Float could be the stability to weight ratio.

Speed is the ease with which a yoyo can be accelerated. Lighter yoyos are always faster unless there is some friction from the shape that slow it down. With the perfect player, the weight is the overwhelmingly largest factor in determining speed.

1 Like

Its like rim weight vs. center ring weight vs. even weight.
center weight is a vague term

center ring weight like the Al5 and phenom/izm will generally shift toward a rim weighted but undersized yoyo, as can be felt in response snap/high swing speed etc.

I think you misunderstand what center and rim weight mean. Center weight is where the weight is close to the axis of rotation, not close to the center of the gap.
It’s the same with rim wieght. Rim weight is far from the axis of rotation, not far from the center of the gap.

Distance from the center of the gap effects how easy it is to throw a smooth throw(as opposed to a wobbly throw).

I meant a ‘center ringed’ yoyo will play more like an undersized (=smaller diameter=weight closer to axis) yoyo.

Distance from the gap also affects stability, as the source force of tilting is often exerted on the gap wall, and according to the lever moment rule itl be harder to move things that are farther away from the gap.

It’s always been my impression that rim weight adds to the stability and improves spin time. I have added rim weight to numerous yoyos and improved how they play IMO. I don’t have any yoyos that specifically claim to be center weighted. But what do I know about all of this?

1 Like

Phenom/izm and Al5 probably Ti5 are ‘midship’ weighted (but still concentrated), while im almost sure no modern yoyo s specifically made to be evenly weighted, as like same thickness across the whole yoyo.

I never thought about it that way, but the resistance against tilt is caused by the spinning of the yoyo, so I don’t think the width of the yoyo has enough of an effect on stability.

The width of a yoyo will affect the stability, in that a small disturbance on the rim (such as bad throw or slight imbalance etc) will be amplified. Too much rim weight will have the same effect. Take the X-con for example. It has a lot of rim weight and requires a good throw or it will wobble.

You guys type too much.

Rim weight - stable, long spinning

Center weight - less stable, shorter spins, makes the yoyo FEEL floatier and faster

That’s because we’re all so darned smart.

If center weight makes a yoyo feel floaty, then why does a pop star feel like a rock?

It doesn’t.

Highly debatable. Pocket yoyos almost universally feel that way to me, and I know others have said the same. Dingo, token, pop star all on the list

Rim weight is distance from axis of rotation… it means longer spin but a slower throw which will ‘feel’ heavy. Stability is a combination of rim weight and distance from gap.

Super wide yoyos will be less stable… think of it as a seesaw… the further you get from center the easier it is to tilt. This is why yoyos approaching a 1:1 width to diameter ratio are hard to even produce… tiny variations in materials or machining stay causing huge error rates.

Kyle

When you say “distance from the axis of rotation”, do you mean that in a sense that distance from the axis of rotation is synonymous with diameter?

Not necessarily, in the case of “double rimmed” yoyos like the Chief

By “feels like a rock”, I thought you meant really stable.

I didn’t realize that you might have meant “heavy for its size”, which makes perfect sense.

Yes, heavy feeling. As in, lots of weight in the center doesn’t equal floaty