Monkeyfinger Design Gelada 2: A High Speed YoYo Review

Dear lord, has it really been over two years since the original Gelada hit the yo-yo community? In that time there have been many great yo-yos to come out of MFD that I have enjoyed quite a bit, but the Gelada was always my standard when comparing their releases. In my original review I said I had a feeling that the Gelada was going to be the yo-yo that the company was known for, and for the most part I was correct. In that time though, there have been some changes to the company including some high profile additions to the team. One such new addition is former yo-yo reviewer, and owner of YoYoSkills, Chris Allen. He is not only a team member, but the brand manager for the company as well. I have been following Chris for years and people always thought he was my rival. That could not have been farther from the truth, it was his site and more to the point his reviews that inspired me to start writing them myself. Yes, without Mr. Allen and YYS High Speed YoYo would not be the site it is today. These days Chris is a blessed father and husband with a growing family, who is still leaving his mark on the yo-yo community through the Monkeyfinger brand. Today I am taking a look at the Gelada 2, a yo-yo that Chris not only had quite a bit of input on with the redesign but also was so passionate about it that he convinced MFD to go against their policy of not revisiting their previous releases. He and I had differing views on the original, I loved it while he thought it was lacking in certain areas; most notably the rim weight. The two reviews were a perfect example of how different players at differing skill levels perceive the same yo-yo. It is going to be interesting to see how I feel about the revised Gelada; the version that I believe Chris feels is the best representation of the design.

Click here to continue reading the review.

1 Like