Potential causes of vibe?

As I look at my yoyo collection, I remember a few that I believe used to be dead smooth or very close to it. Now I can notice a small to moderate vibe. I don’t know what would have changed this. Do any of you know what might cause this or any potential fixes? The only problem I see is a scratched bearing seat on my M1 from trying to scrape out silicone with a knife.

A lot of contributing factors. Dings can make the weight unbalanced or an impact can warp the shape of the yoyo. A bent axel or wacky bearing can do it. I also believe time and use can cause a small margin of vibe (happened to some of my older YYF). As for fixing it, time machine, but another new one or learn to live with it. I believe vibration to be inherent in any object that is spinning as fast as a yoyo does it is just a varying degree.

Thanks. I haven’t left any major dings but I suppose they have had collisions with carpet that may have affected them.
I also believe vibration is expected a little bit, but I was hoping there was a way to smoothen them out a little to make them easier to sell.

[quote=“Walker, Yo-Yo Ranger,post:3,topic:69005”]
Easiest way to sell a yoyo is to price it low.

1 Like

A lot of yoyo axles are made out of titanium, which is stronger than the aluminum used to make the yoyo. Unscrewing a yoyo can cause the titanium to scrape off minute amounts of aluminum, allowing the axle more room to wiggle when it’s screwed back together. This wiggle room can be a cause of vibe.

A lot? I’m interested to know what companies do this. Please tell…

db

Actually, loose axle doesn’t contribute to vibe. If you look at the yoyo structure, the bearing seat is compressed to the inner bearing race, which is basically the part that keeps both halves straight. Axle only tighten the sides, not holding it at any angle, unless if the bearing post is really loose and the axle is locked stuck, not completely straight in one side.

The way I see it, most people tend to overtighten their yoyos, causing warp on the bearing seat. It’s easy to tell, disassemble your yoyo and look at where the bearing seat where the bearing inner race compresses. Most of the time it will show signs of wear or warp, this could be because of dings too (it did happened to me). It’s basically a bad idea to tighten the yoyo by grabbing both halves, the proper way is to put one half on your palm and tighten with your other hand until it starts slipping. That is how tight you want your yoyo to be.

There is a huge amount of pressure when you tighten the yoyo halves, enough to warp the soft aluminum… be careful about it.

Some, a couple, 1 or 2; what’s the difference? :smiley:

I’m just wondering what companies are actually putting that additional cost into their yoyos. As titanium is less ductile it’s not necessarily better than steel axles, but it is lighter for the same size.

db

Didn’t YYR use to use titanium for their axles?

Steel is the norm for axles anyways now, correct? The point still stands. Rizki, that’s the assumption I was basing it under - a loose bearing seat.

All the post above are all good reasons to why a yoyo will have vibe. Another reason is how you have it tightened. Tuning will sometimes really help how a yoyo plays. Start by just barely screwing the yoyo together. Do a couple of straight throws and see how it spins. If not to your liking, give the yoyo a slight more turn and try again. Just be careful not to tighten it too tight which can cause you to strip the yoyo.

I’ve seen people do that but never really see an instance where it works. That’s not a good way to tune the vibe IMO, it may and will cause deformation on the bearing seat. There is a huge amount of pressure in there…

That makes sense to me. I have actually done what jgarcia said in the past and maybe that could have contributed to it.