Best Strings?

If you do lots of layers in the gap or like regular thickness string go with Type X. Ammo is a thicker version of Type X with the tension tweaked to JD’s preference. It’s great for slack and due to its thickness it feels softer. (Oh, and it’s fun to be able to pull them out of the tube one at a time down to the last one by just grabbing a knot and holding the rest in with your thumb.)

Didn’t 100 packs used to come in larger tubes too? I think my friend used to have a 100 pack tubr

100’s are bundled with a laminated tag to identify the type. Like the tag shown in this travel bag. http://instagram.com/p/M_09c3G3Q-/

I’m glad this topic got brought up. A few years ago i bought a few hundred alchemy string and I’m finally starting to run out of them. I’ve used a number of different strings but nothing has been like alchemy strings (which i think may be 100% nylon but it does not feel like nylon kitty string). I love how slick they feel and how they last forever. Are there any strings out there like alchemy at all?

That may be where we get into variable milage. In the summer I can’t get any string to last more than 2-3 days. They are playable, but playability is noticeable degraded. I’d say best case I can regularly get premium strings to last about 2 times longer than kitty nylons.

When winter comes around I do treat myself to premium strings more frequently. I love toxic snakes. I bought 5 packs last time I found them in stock somewhere.

I find with my Kitty and Werrd strings that one lasts about half an hour with consistent play. Could they be used beyond that? Sure. They aren’t frayed, but they become less resistant to tension and have lost a lot of elasticity. I find slack routines to become a real chore after that.

By the way, does anyone know what string comes with the Gravitsky Protostar? That lasted at least 3 times longer than Kitty string and played and felt great. It couldn’t have been YYF string because I recognize the feel of that straight away (and toss them).

I’m glad this thread came up. I didn’t realize String Lab came in bulk. I might have a new string type next time I order strings.

Only sold on YYSL’s website. I bought a 100 pack of ammo myself a few weeks back.

$40 for Type X, $50 for Ammo, $55 for venom

Does anyone have the answer to my Gravitsky Protostar string question?

I’m almost positive it’s YYF string :stuck_out_tongue:

Well that would make sense, but It Is vastly different to any yyf string I’ve used. My Shutter came with some very horrible, fluffy string…

strings, we all think about strings…

I am a big fan of AMMO strings (read all yoyo String Lab strings,) I have some Type X that I have not used yet but will try out on one of the yoyo’s from my Mystery Pack I pick up today at post office.

I have many others packs of strings, I buy some with every order I make. love the things and some of the colors are just wonderful.

but AMMO and Kitty are my favorites.

ginny

matt is letting me try out all the strings ;D

1 Like

If you’re up for it, make your own! I started making strings pretty recently and I already favor them over anything else I’ve tried. Plus they’re cheaper than buying pre-made string.

Where the heck do you get the polyester from for it?

Any local sewing shop should have spools of polyester. Personally I 50/50 blend polyester with rayon for a type 8 string. Works great for me!

Sweet. By the way; I really dig the Werrd Hour too. So smooth, stable and easy to use. It is so close to being my favourite yoyo. Great choice!

Big fan of Epic String Magic Threads. Super soft and silky, and binds like a dream. Also easy to toss in a pocket and run through washing machine. I know it sounds weird but it works wonders on these strings.

After about an hour of yoyo play I notice the string doesn’t hold its shape as good as it first did. I tried washing it with a bit of dish washing liquid and warm water by hand (takes less than a minute). Takes a few mins to dry and it plays almost as good as new. Not sure how many times you can re wash but I’m guessing at least 2. Also gets yellow and green strings bright again.

Worth trying if you use premium string as it only will cost you a few cents worth of soap. If your using 10 cent bulk string just replace it.

I tend to prefer the thicker strings as I’m still learning advanced tricks and I feel it helps with binds. The kitty xl is nice for the price. I actually don’t mind the yyf string they give you with their yoyos. I tried some zeeiko and that was my least favorite. Just got some inverse type x and slack line chubby lemon that I’m gonna try out next. Once I decided what I like the best I will prob buy it in bulk.

On a side note my cat seems to prefer the kitty string (ironically) but he goes after pretty much any string. I lassoed some used up string together and tied some rubber bands to the end and that’s his new favorite toy.

I got some #82 string not too long ago, its 50% poly, 50% kevlar. i’ve had the same string on my chief for at least 10 hours of play and it plays the same as it did out of the package. it is less grippy than some other strings like 100% poly, but i like that with my chief because i was getting frequent knuckle dusters on a few tricks and now i don’t. still gives perfect binds. It’s expensive, $10 for 10 strings, but i have heard of people going over a month on one string so… yeah.