YYF Horizon: First Impressions Review

(Note: I originally posted this review in a different thread, but bought I should post it here.)

I just got this yoyo at MER, so here’s my mini review.

Short: I LOVE IT.

Long:
First, this is a heavier yoyo, so it does play more solid than floaty, and if you’re used to lighter yoyos, you may need to play the yoyo for a couple minutes to get used to it, like I did. Thankfully, the guys at the YYE booth were nice enough to let me play it for a couple minutes before purchasing. Once you’re acclimated to the weight however, it’s smooth sailing from then on out.

The shape seems to be a hybrid H/V shape. It has a very easy to hit catch zone, so landing tricks is a breeze. It comes stock with YYF's blue "grippy" pads and a CT bearing, which is a set up that works well. It is also surprisingly comfortable to hold, at first it has a seemingly violent shape, but the rounded rims make it quite comfortable when returning to your hand. The anodization is a deep red, flawlessly done, and the engravings in the catch zone actually look quite nice, IMO. They are minimalist enough to make this yoyo feel high end, yet they still help identify it.

The yoyo is very smooth on the string, I wasn’t able to find any vibe really. The one bad thing I found in the construction of this yoyo is the bearing seat; it is VERY tight. I needed to stick the yoyo in the freezer for a minute to get the bearing out.

This yoyo is incredibly stable. Like seriously, one of THE most stable yoyos I've had the pleasure to use. The shape does a good job of keeping the string away from the walls, so sloppy string hits aren't punished as much. This combined with the weight and size make a yoyo that is very forgiving. Spin times are fantastic. It is one of the few yoyos I've tried that, when making new tricks, allows me to just let the yoyo sit on the string for long periods of time while trying to make up a trick. Also, despite the weight, this yoyo can play fast fairly easily, too.

Now, the fingerspins. Oh, the incredible FINGERSPINS. This is hands down the best yoyo I've ever used for them. I am able to easily get the yoyo to spin for 30+ seconds on my finger. Bravo Yoyofactory.
 The Horizon is no slouch at other types of horizontal play, either. Paul Kerbel's influence in the design of this yoyo is really apparent in how well this yoyo plays horizontally. I'm not the greatest at horizontal, but this yoyo makes the few tricks I can do fairly easy.

If I had to give one word to describe this yoyo, I would say: [b]power[/b]. The incredible stability, spin time, and horizontal play make a competition beast that I would easily pay $100+ for. It's [b]that[/b] good. Bravo, YYF, bravo.
2 Likes

Thanks for the great review! I came to the review section specifically to look for something on the Horizon. :smiley:

You’re welcome!

Paul kernel… Lol

I blame autocorrect… :stuck_out_tongue:

pix!

is it any good for 5a?

Oh yeah I have on! The on downside to the Yoyo I know of is the axle is REALLY short.

I just got mine today~ It really IS short haha :slight_smile: I still need help with the beginner tricks

I’m kinda questioning on wheter to by this yoyo or not. So just for reference, what other yoyos have to played that can compare to it stability wise?

f

from my experience the yoyo is very very stable almost as stable for the shutter so its fine.

Did you mean to say that the Horizon is almost as stable as the Shutter? ???
Because of the extra weight and the diameter, the Horizon should be much more stable IMO

long story short its a stable yoyo sadly i don’t own that many H yoyos so its hard for me to compare to other yoyos.

Well you just mentioned the Shutter, so i guess you can compare it to that? Like stability? :slight_smile:

Great review. I bought a Horizon a couple months back, and I think it is a great yoyo for its price. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I got my Horizon a few months ago, and it was when I was still pretty bad (well, worse than I am now) so I dropped it a few times, though I should mention it was only at max 2-3 times. I didn’t realize it at first, but there was this wobbly look to the yoyo when I threw it. Did my dropping the yoyo cause this? I don’t actually know what “vibe” is supposed to look like so I can’t actually tell if this is what’s considered vibe or not. Also, There’s what seems to be a protruding dent smack-dab in the middle of the fingerspin area. The size of the dent looks like it’s the size of the diameter of the axis… is it possible for the axis to somehow make a visible dent on an aluminum yoyo? Please help, I really like the Horizon but now I’m rather disappointed at the idea that it’s not playing at the optimum playability everyone seems to be complementing this yoyo for.

The look of wobble often comes from throwing a wide gapped yoyo and not actually the yoyo but If you smacked it hard enough you can bend the aluminum.

throw the yoyo.

touch it with your finger gently.

does it look smooth now?

If it is damaged we have all the parts in the world to help you get it back to 100% performance. contact@yoyofactory.com

1 Like