Grammar point

I know there’s already been a grammar thread, but I have a specific point here. I here a ton of people say, “Try not to do so and so…,” instead of, “Try to not do so and so.” I consider the latter correct. What do you think?

I would say “try not to walk,” instead of “try to not walk.”  Either might be okay, depending on the context.  But, that’s how I handle it.

In your question, I believe you meant to write “hear” not “here.”

If you want to read further:

From what I’ve been taught, “not” is one of the few adverbs that usually goes before “to” along with other adverbs such as “never” or “always”. Even if both are used, I usually lose points in papers when I write “not” after.

Listen up, he’s used the correct word here…

1 Like

an infinitive in english has already been split into two words. And an infinitive is a noun, and adverbs do not modify nouns. also, think about the meaning. “try to not” means try to prevent from happening; “try not to” means “don’t try to.”

Nah, they mean the same thing.

I honestly don’t see much of a difference the only difference is that one is an infinitive. They practically say the same thing so my question is why does it matter?

No, think about it, not in “try not to” modifies try; not in “try to not” describes the word inside the infinitive.

There’s obviously a syntaxical difference, yet, I see no obvious difference in semantics.

Grammatically-correct speaking, Stuart is right and ya’ll else are wrong. But if I were to say either choice to anyone of ya, you would know what I mean.

Why is Stuart right?

Well, in Spanish, an infinitive is one word. In English, an infinitive is two words:

to + [the dictionary form of the word]

In Spanish the equivalent to “to study” is “estudiar” - one word.

Would you imagine splitting up one word: to not study = estunodiar (grammatically incorrect)

Another point: An infinitive is one part of speech.

Found this helpful.

1 Like

I was referring to this here, not that there. Now, how 'bout that?

I understand that you are expected to use proper grammar on the forum. This just seems like needless nitpicking to me.

I refuse to take advice on the English language from a person who says “ya’ll else”

Yet I’m dead right. :wink:

For your information, “ya’ll else” is a colloquial term, and I don’t believe any of us use standard formal English on this forum.