YoyoFactory Horizon - New Paul Kerbel Signature

^ That sounds cool, it would be nice to see another 3A player on YYF team. Good observation on your part. I bet a lot of people will be waiting to see.

With minor sizes differences it looks just like a Shutter.

We aren’t looking at the same yoyo, then. :wink: “Minor differences?” More like “there are a few passing similarity to the Shutter” but they aren’t really that close at all.

YYF Shutter Specs:
Diameter: 56 mm / 2.20 inches
Width: 44.40 mm / 1.74 inches
Weight: 67.8 grams
Bearing Size: Size C (.250 x .500 x .187) CBC SPEC Bearing
Response: 19 mm CBC Silicone Slim Pad

YYF Horizon Specs:
Diameter: 59 mm / 2.32 inches
Width: 42 mm / 1.65 inches
Weight: 67.5 grams
Bearing Size: Size C (.250 x .500 x .187) CBC Center Trac Bearing
Response: 19 mm CBC Blue Slim Pad

The Shutter is in the full size category and is 2.4 mm wider than the Horizon, 0.3 g heavier, and has a more straightforward shape having less steps.

The Horizon is in the oversized category and is 2.4 mm narrower than the Shutter, 0.3 g lighter, and has a more complex shape and more obvious steps.

They have completely different specs and shape from each other. They are not that close.

1 Like

Plus the cup is different.

1 Like

Rixtify, I am glad you found the specs. I guess looks can be deceiving, Thank you.
And thank you GregP for your info.

Even the looks are different, though. :wink:

I concur. Photo credit from Yoyofactory ask.fm page:

Horizon vs. Shutter. As stated, different size, shape and weight.

http://photo1.ask.fm/704/974/728/150003025-1rp3boh-7tk3emiof72ecj5/preview/file.jpg

1 Like

With the photo you can really see the difference. Now I have something to think about.

Just ordered mine!

Is the Horizon good for fast play or is it better for a more relaxed style?

Disclaimer: I’ve never played one.

It’s big and it’s heavy-ish. Not two things I think of for “fast play”. But I mean, lots of “fast”/“light” yoyos are 65g… the amount of effort it takes to push around an extra 2.5g is appreciable but not the end of the world. Watch the Kerbel promo, and you can see that it’s not just lazily moving around. The yoyoer will determine how fast it goes!

If you truly want a yoyo that lends itself to zippy play, though, there have got to be better options.

Now, the dilemma is what color to get. I want to buy more gold throws, but then there appears to be the perfect shade of red too.

#throwrich

I have had my Horizon for over a week now. I found, that for me, it feels heavy and big and uncomfortable. It is a nice looking yoyo and performs as subscribed. It is just not the yoyo for me.

I just got this yoyo at MER, so here’s my mini review.

Short: I LOVE IT.

Long:
First, this is a heavier yoyo, so it does play more solid than floaty, and if you’re used to lighter yoyos, you may need to play the yoyo for a couple minutes to get used to it, like I did. Thankfully, the guys at the YYE booth were nice enough to let me play it for a couple minutes before purchasing. Once you’re acclimated to the weight however, it’s smooth sailing from then on out.

The shape seems to be a hybrid H/V shape. It has a very easy to hit catch zone, so landing tricks is a breeze. It comes stock with YYF's blue "grippy" pads and a CT bearing, which is a set up that works well. It is also surprisingly comfortable to hold, at first it has a seemingly violent shape, but the rounded rims make it quite comfortable when returning to your hand. The anodization is a deep red, flawlessly done, and the engravings in the catch zone actually look quite nice, IMO. They are minimalist enough to make this yoyo feel high end, yet they still help identify it.

The yoyo is very smooth on the string, I wasn’t able to find any vibe really. The one bad thing I found in the construction of this yoyo is the bearing seat; it is VERY tight. I needed to stick the yoyo in the freezer for a minute to get the bearing out.

This yoyo is incredibly stable. Like seriously, one of THE most stable yoyos I've had the pleasure to use. The shape does a good job of keeping the string away from the walls, so sloppy string hits aren't punished as much. This combined with the weight and size make a yoyo that is very forgiving. Spin times are fantastic. It is one of the few yoyos I've tried that, when making new tricks, allows me to just let the yoyo sit on the string for long periods of time while trying to make up a trick. Also, despite the weight, this yoyo can play fast fairly easily, too.

Now, the fingerspins. Oh, the incredible FINGERSPINS. This is hands down the best yoyo I've ever used for them. I am able to easily get the yoyo to spin for 30+ seconds on my finger. Bravo Yoyofactory.
 The Horizon is no slouch at other types of horizontal play, either. Paul Kernel's influence in the design of this yoyo is really apparent in how well this yoyo plays horizontally. I'm not the greatest at horizontal, but this yoyo makes the few tricks I can do fairly easy.

If I had to give one word to describe this yoyo, I would say: [b]power[/b]. The incredible stability, spin time, and horizontal play make a competition beast that I would easily pay $100+ for. It's [b]that[/b] good. Bravo, YYF, bravo.
1 Like

^ Wow, now that’s how to write a review. Well done String King, very informative and concise. If you posted that in the review section, I rarely visit that section, so I may have missed it. It’s not a review to be missed.

I was confused what color to get, but it looks like you’re enjoying that perfect shade of red. I hope they use that shade more often…it’s a great true red, not the rust colored or pinkish colors I’ve seen on throws lately. I’m getting a Horizon this week, for sure.

Thanks!

Honestly, I would have chosen the gold, but they didn’t have it at MER. The red is still beautiful though; it’s just that I’ve had several yoyos in this shade of red and no gold yoyos.

None of that should have surprised you if you looked at the specs and pictures.

You are correct, but, even with all that information you do not know until you try it out for yourself.