What happened to YoyoJam?

I still find it unbelievable that the have the 3 greatest 4a players out there each with their own amazing signature model. In my opinion that’s what yyj is great for today. It seems like almost nobody else has the balls to make offstring yoyos, except for jetset and Aero-yo both of which will probably never match the play of the fiesta and go big which play like they cost way more. Delrin seems like such a fad, a durable offstring yoyo just needs some flexibility in the shape of the cup and a decent plastic like celcon.

However, I do feel as if yyj is dominating the 4a market so hard that other companies are daunted by the mere thought of the task of delivering yyj 4a quality at a yyj price point.

Japan technology, Chico, Crucial, and Yoyojoker all have good high end offstring yoyos.

Yeah, seems to be a lot of solid 4A choices out there these days, heck, doesn’t Japan Technology make strictly 4A yoyos? However, for a very long time it was pretty much just YYJ, and for good reason; most other companies attempts sucked coughYYFcough. I always preferred my Panda with a wide silicone recess, though. But the Aquarius and Big Ben were good, as well as the BigYo if you’re into that kinda thing.
Can’t really speak to any of the new offerings from YYJ or others, though, haven’t really played 4A for a couple years, :-.

Regardless of what anyone may think of how “big” they are or whatever (which is always hilarious to me, since none of the people in this conversation are privy to the business details of YoYoJam’s operation), one thing that should be noted:

Everyone of note in this industry agrees that YoYoJam is one of the most consistently innovative and adventurous companies that has ever existed. Period. Some of their designs may have fallen flat or proven to ultimately be just not commercially viable, and a few have turned out to be just utterly ridiculous, but they have consistently tried more new ideas and concepts than pretty much any five other companies combined.

For that alone they should most definitely have everyone’s respect…in an industry where tons of little companies pop up that are just someone with the phone number of a machine shop and the willingness to copy other peoples designs and ano jobs, YoYoJam has blazed their own path at every possible opportunity.

It’s pretty incredible that they are not only still around after 15 years, but they’re still coming up with new shapes and refinements and concepts every year. Considering how many people willingly throw fistfuls of money at garbage knockoff manufacturers that pop up every year, selling recycled shapes with other people’s colorways, it would be super awesome to see more respect given to the real innovators in the industry.

YoYoJam will always get a high-five from me for being a true original from the very start, and never giving up on that for any reason.

10 Likes

Also, going off of what Steve said about other companies with similar designs, compare the shape of the Peak to the Dark Magic. Shape is almost identical. Not calling out CLYW or anything, it’s just the Dark Magic seemed to be way more of an influence for the Peak than the Hitman or 401k.

1 Like

There is zero YoYoJam influence in the Peak, and it really doesn’t look like the DM at all.

I mean, they’re both yoyo-shaped. But…no.

1 Like

I upgraded the bearing with one I had in my goody bag collection an am very happy with how my Classic now plays.

Yeah they do but you missed my point, they all sell for rediculous amounts of money compared to a fiesta or go big, and they probably don’t play that much better(I haven’t tried them). Which is a major drawback for me considering it’s going to be flying off of propane tanks in my basement and rolling down the rough pavement of roads weathered by Canadian winters. I don’t understand why they can’t get close to the price especially considering they are mostly produced in China and yyj produces in America. The closest I’ve seen from these brands is the $35 japan tech offstring.

Wait whaaattt lol Wasn’t the Peak supposed to be a cross between 401k and Hitman or something? Oh well, you’d probably remember better than me lol, I was a wee little lad when the Peak came out.

If I remember correctly, it has been stated by the creator that it was very heavily modeled after the Hitman and 401k…

Paul liked the HM, Chris liked the 401k or something.

The Chief doesn’t play that muh better then a Yeti, what’s your point?

Hadn’t ever heard that…nice to know after all this time I can still learn new things. :slight_smile:

I personally still think the shape is closer to the Dark Magic. Will take some comparison pics when I get the chance. Got to use a Peak and MA States, and compared it to my Trinity and Dark Magic, more similar than you would think :wink:

1 Like

While your sentiments are laudable; everything you use to describe YYJ is in the past tense. I think that is the point here. Respect is something that is earned. Once earned it must be maintained. I think many are questioning that maintenance.

YoYoJam has new stuff in the works and players behind it. What we have seen looks great. Just give them some time. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I will always have a soft spot for yoyojam (my kicksides in particular), they were the the first modern throws I aquired when I took up yoyoing again 5 years ago. I loved the old hitman and lyn fury style cap art; I was thrilled to see it again on the recent hitman anniversary ed.

I was just gonna ask that.

So… Is an Alexis JV sig in the works? (If you didn’t know, JV got sponsored by them back in Feb. after winning East Canadian Regionals with a Phenom)

1 Like

I’ll go out on a limb and say that Grant Johnson’s new throw - which I borrowed for extended periods of time while at KS states a month ago was easily my favorite YYJ I’ve ever played and that I’ll be quite happy to own one once it’s released.

Also, it’s got lots of new interesting design stuff going on there.

should be great! :slight_smile:

What happened to the synthesis?