What happened to YoyoJam?

Honestly YYJ comes out with cool stuff its just some of the aesthetics and such that kill it for me.

The theory is nice.

The next level looks the most attractive to me.

Yoyojam has many attractive options as well as… Well unattractive ones. Let’s look at all the good and just forget about all the redundant hybrids for a second.

Entry level:

The Classic is without a doubt one of the best yoyos for the money. It’s customizable and perfect for beginners.
Surge: Nice step after the Classic still very inexpensive.

Mid level:

Dark Magic 2 Easily the most iconic yoyo of all time. Lovable shape, design, and playability do I need to say more?
INSPIREIf you haven’t tried one then you should. Extremely underrated yoyo. It has some really cool features and dare I say it… Innovative design.
Phenomizm: A toned down Phenom that still keeps it’s crazy fast Tin-canny like appeal. People love em for what it has to offer because the phenom/phenomizm is definitely a unique feel.

High end:
H3X A spinoff Metal DM2. If you loved the DM2 You will love the H3X it’s a simplistic design but it’s a joy to play. Very high end feel with nice packaging!

Collid3r: The dark horse. This yoyo is incredible!!! People, don’t knock it till you try it. Seriously the Collid3r gets so much play time out of me and for good reason! It’s just absolutely superb. I love it. It’s a breath of fresh air from what you’re used to seeing from YYJ. If you haven’t tried one you need to.

DiamondbackEveryone loves the Diamondback. It’s the nicest throw YYJ offers. Has that Avalanche-Majesty Vibe to it and is a joy to play. Seriously a VERY high end feeling throw. Screams quality. I’m actually looking for one! Another Must try.

PhenomYa love it, or ya think it’s eh. It’s a speed demon. It has an attractive feel as well as a surprising playability that is unique to the phenom. It has it’s following and for good reason.

Next Level: A bi-metal yoyo that keeps with the times its an innovative design that shows YYJ is on the right track.

To sum it up: Bina, I think saying that YYJ only has 1 good yoyo in the Dback is just a bit ignorant. While I’m not saying that you aren’t entitled to your own opinion it’s just that I feel they have many many superb yoyos on the market that haven’t gotten the attention they deserve. Whether it’s poor marketing or advertising or any what have you, they still make some incredible throws. So please, go pick up each of the throws I’ve listed above and if you still keep to your claim of the Dback being YYJ’s only good throw then fine. It’s just that I feel some people are blinded by the flashy CLYW and Onedrops that it’s all they can see when YYJs really are diamonds in the rough.

Also the ringmaster is Awesome for 5a and 1a.

You do realize that YoYoJam was the first company to use stainless steel rings. The ‘original’ Night Moves.

2 Likes

You Won’t

Rule #1 for enjoying a Low Stress life <> Never Regret buying anything that costs less than a Cheese Pizza.

Ever.

1 Like

Gotcha!

How does the ringmaster play? It looks like a bimetal classic.

I still throw my speed maker quite often
I think YYJ is still one of the biggest yoyo company out there, anyone that think metal yoyo rules all is kind of wrong.
metal yoyo exist because of performance market, and that is just some fraction of the community.

I’ve just never been a fan of YYJ’s styling myself. The wacky fonts, the mirror caps, the fancy engravings… it’s never appealed to me. I’ve never seen a single YYJ that has really made me go “woah, so much want!”… au contrair I find some of them somewhat offensive to the eyes.

I’m sure they’re all great playing yoyos, but I wan’t something that I like the look of as well as the play, and I’ve yet to find a YYJ yoyo that meets both criteria.

The Surge was an amazing plastic yoyo, I just wish they hadn’t made the gap so narrow.

I was wondering whether YYJ had ever experimented with stainless steel. Thanks for answering that question.

The bronze generally favored by YoYoJam for bi-metal yoyos has a comparable if not slightly higher density than stainless steel.

1 Like

Here is a good list for contrast.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/metal-alloys-densities-d_50.html

Dale has some pretty interesting things, ‘cookin’, at the moment.

Pretty sad, to me, that he doesn’t get much respect for all that he has done. And he is not done yet.

Practice saying … ‘wow’.

2 Likes

I still find it unbelievable that the have the 3 greatest 4a players out there each with their own amazing signature model. In my opinion that’s what yyj is great for today. It seems like almost nobody else has the balls to make offstring yoyos, except for jetset and Aero-yo both of which will probably never match the play of the fiesta and go big which play like they cost way more. Delrin seems like such a fad, a durable offstring yoyo just needs some flexibility in the shape of the cup and a decent plastic like celcon.

However, I do feel as if yyj is dominating the 4a market so hard that other companies are daunted by the mere thought of the task of delivering yyj 4a quality at a yyj price point.

Japan technology, Chico, Crucial, and Yoyojoker all have good high end offstring yoyos.

Yeah, seems to be a lot of solid 4A choices out there these days, heck, doesn’t Japan Technology make strictly 4A yoyos? However, for a very long time it was pretty much just YYJ, and for good reason; most other companies attempts sucked coughYYFcough. I always preferred my Panda with a wide silicone recess, though. But the Aquarius and Big Ben were good, as well as the BigYo if you’re into that kinda thing.
Can’t really speak to any of the new offerings from YYJ or others, though, haven’t really played 4A for a couple years, :-.

Regardless of what anyone may think of how “big” they are or whatever (which is always hilarious to me, since none of the people in this conversation are privy to the business details of YoYoJam’s operation), one thing that should be noted:

Everyone of note in this industry agrees that YoYoJam is one of the most consistently innovative and adventurous companies that has ever existed. Period. Some of their designs may have fallen flat or proven to ultimately be just not commercially viable, and a few have turned out to be just utterly ridiculous, but they have consistently tried more new ideas and concepts than pretty much any five other companies combined.

For that alone they should most definitely have everyone’s respect…in an industry where tons of little companies pop up that are just someone with the phone number of a machine shop and the willingness to copy other peoples designs and ano jobs, YoYoJam has blazed their own path at every possible opportunity.

It’s pretty incredible that they are not only still around after 15 years, but they’re still coming up with new shapes and refinements and concepts every year. Considering how many people willingly throw fistfuls of money at garbage knockoff manufacturers that pop up every year, selling recycled shapes with other people’s colorways, it would be super awesome to see more respect given to the real innovators in the industry.

YoYoJam will always get a high-five from me for being a true original from the very start, and never giving up on that for any reason.

10 Likes

Also, going off of what Steve said about other companies with similar designs, compare the shape of the Peak to the Dark Magic. Shape is almost identical. Not calling out CLYW or anything, it’s just the Dark Magic seemed to be way more of an influence for the Peak than the Hitman or 401k.

1 Like