Things not to say to a yoyoer

I’m definitely of the same approach as skitrz. But what yooldman said rings true, too. I’ve had a few “shake my head” moments when people occasionally say that.

“How many tricks do you know.”

Walk up and tell them. Talk about your favorite tricks, throws, and other things of the nature. I doubt any respectable thrower wouldn’t beleive you, especially if you sound informed.

Yoyoer replys: "yes, yes of course.

I usually say ‘no it doesn’t but it does go pretty long.’

“Is that thing still spinning?”

The only question that drives me insane, I have to hold back sarcastic comments like: “Nope my breathing just sounds like an un-oiled motor” or “Nah, it’s my phone. I have the ringtone set to ‘jet engine’”

Any other questions I’m more than pleased to answer, and maybe someone I talk to will decide to yoyo themselves and I will see them again at some point and can talk about tricks and other stuff. It’s all about that ‘Pay It Forward’ way of thinking. ;D

“Oh, yeah I remember yoyoing in 4th grade”

“Oh that’s easy.”

“Why would you spend that much money on a yoyo?”
Well what would you rather have, a 500 dollar iPhone or a cheap 20 dollar flip phone?

Oh your a “yoyo master” (I REALLY don’t like that term "yoyo master "even though it’s nice of people to say I’m good but there’s just something about that term/name I don’t like.

Also how people suggest Ideas like “there should be a show on tv about yoyos just like they do cars.” It’s cool that there interested or trying to make conversation but in my mind I’m just saying "no no no that’s not how it works you don’t understand. " I just can’t help thinking that (obviously I don’t say it in front of people but I just feel that some people don’t know what there talking about (mainly other kids/teens) I do like it when older people ask “is that a Duncan?” Because then I know that they a least kinda know what a yoyo is and it’s easy to explain to them what these new/modern yoyos are.

“Your and addict!”

“I am sorry but its true.”

“Who would spend over $100 on a piece of metal?”

My personal favorite is " does it do tricks by itself?"

I’ve been asked that at least 3 times.

I mean c’mon!!! It’s pieces of metal hanging from a string

I swear that’s the most annoying thing. WHen they say that, they try to imply “Yeah I am a grown up now and what you’re doing now, I have done that 15 years ago”.
Its the same when someone sees my fishes and have no clue about anything, they say “Oh yeah, I used to keep fish when I was in 4th grade”.

“Hey it’s a diabolo?”

1 Like

“You suck dude” seems like that would not be what I would want to hear.

Or the good ole “just keep at it, I’m sure you’ll get it”, although not much more to say other than that for encouragement sometimes.

*you’re *an *it’s

“Too bad that talent is useless.” I hate it when people say this.

Sounds more like they’re trying to find a way to relate to you.

I was once told that i “needed to get a hobby”.

Thanks.

1 Like

I get

“what’s that whizzing sound is it a motor?”

“can I try Abby I am a Yoyo master I have my fiber X in the mail coming soon I promise!” (this is from a kid named Connor in my grade who lies straight to my face and I know it)

“can you walk the dog?”

“how many tricks do you know?”

“wait how much is the Yoyo again?”

“oh yeah I remember when I used to do that as a kid”

“why won’t your Yoyo come up?!?!?”

“oh yeah I have a Yoyo it’s made of carbon dioxide”

“If I were doing that it would be in a huge knot!”

Things I’d hate to hear would be mainly deragatory things such as:
“Get a life!”
“You have too much time on your hands”
“I’m better than you”

Fortunately, I’ve heard nothing but positive even from teens who look like they could care less about yoyoing, hearing them say “Wow, that guy’s a yoyo ninja over there!”

I’ve even had lines at the amusement park stop as people would be mesmorized…I could be my local amusement park’s entertainment!