Duncan Metal Drifter

If I remember correctly (which I may not), the original Drifters with spacers came in black, blue and gold. The newer ones are green, orange, purple and aqua. I have both versions, and along with a dry bearing, I only keep one silicone sticker in each. Those things are dead unresponsive.

I’m still a big fan of the Metal Drifter, it’s a good throw for the price. I had a Metal Zero (40$) back in 2009, and I don’t think it played as well. The Drifter is a bit wider, and therefore easier to catch on the string. I have yet to see a Drifter that doesn’t wobble a little while spinning, but it’s always insignificant enough that it doesn’t seem to ruin performance. A 25$ metal Yo-Yo isn’t going to spin as smooth or as long as a high end model that costs five times as much, anyway.

Other than providing a cheap gateway into metal Yo-Yos for beginners, the nice thing about the Drifter is the fact that you can fearlessly take an aluminum return top into scenarios where accidental damage (or just losing the Yo-Yo completely) seems likely, or just uncomfortably possible. Yo-Yoing in public? Trying to learn 5A? Defending yourself against Joe Hursley? Bring out the Metal Drifters.