Replacing 10Ball Bearing

Not all C size 10 ball bearings are created equal.
Try a Terrapin X…

I had the exact same experience with the Terrapin bearings that I tried as I did with the 10-balls that I own. Which is to say, they work great, then get loud and screechy and responsive.

Then they require cleaning (which is fine… I don’t care myself, but I’m just saying that’s the next step) before moving on. At least one 10-ball never recovered, and the Terrapin that never recovered was replaced at fjh’s discretion and his own expense (but it still didn’t recover).

Putting a drop of lube into a screechy bearing isn’t an awful thing to do… it’s certainly not “stupid”. Personally, I clean every bearing that ever goes screechy. That’s just what I do… I like starting from a clean slate. But LOTS of people (including JonRob as I recall) just put in a drop every now and then and keep on keepin’ on. There’s no holy commandment saying you must clean a bearing just because it gets screechy. Sometimes a bit of lube is all that’s needed for whatever reason.

2 Likes

Thanks, man.

Just a lot of mouthy little kids on this forum . . .

Strange, I haven’t done any kind of maintenance on my ten balls aside from putting a drop of lube on it every few months when they get loud. I’m betting something got stuck in the bearing. Remove the shields of the ten ball, and clean the bearing with soap and water, make sure you have a blow dryer or compressed air ready. Put the bearing on the end of a chopstick or pen, and either blow the water out with the blow dryer on high, or blow the water out with the compressed air. Do this right after you take the bearing out of the water. Apply a small drop of lube after, and you’re bearing should be like new.

Thanks. And what I wound up doing is this: replacing the 10ball with a yyj bearing.

But I will take apart the 10 ball, clean it, lube it, and see how it goes.

i visited onedrop and they were against putting any other bearing types into the yoyo for it can have a sat on effect. i have a question waiting about if i can use a center track bearing in a code 2.

As long as they’re the same dimensions, which is all I wanted to determine from this post, I’m sure it doesn’t matter.

Take a look at a 10 ball from One Drop then pretty much any other bearing, you’ll notice that the 10 ball has a noticeably bigger inner race than the other bearing. This prevents the bearing from crushing the shim of the yoyo when the yoyo is screwed together, since Side Effect yoyos need to be screwed together tightly. This is pretty much why I think One Drop recommends against using other bearings.

It’s time we got the calipers out.

I’m not saying the diameter of the inner race is larger, I’m saying the inner race itself is larger. The diameter of the inner race is the same for all C bearings. It’s honestly kind of hard to explain without pics, so I’m gonna use a few.

Here is a 10 ball. Take a look at the inner race, it’s larger correct?
http://www.latiendadelyoyo.com/130-5497-thickbox/10-ball-bearing.jpg

Here’s a regular C Bearing. The inner race is thinner than that of the 10 ball correct?

Sure looks that way from the photos.

Anyway, cleaned the bearing you know lighter fluid and compressed air. I could get to wind up liking the 10ball.

Glad it worked out for you! Just so ya know, you can use soap and water in place of lighter fluid, just be sure to immediately dry out the bearing.

Thanks!

Yes, based on those two pictures, the ratio of the outer diameter to inner diameter of the 10-ball is larger than that of the other bearing. However, the question is whether that serves any useful purpose or if it is simply One Drop’s marketing department trying to sell an arbitrary detail of the bearings they buy as a feature. I am definitely leaning toward the latter.

When has this ever been an issue? Even on yo-yos with plastic bearings seats like YoYoJams, you will strip the yo-yo long before crush the bearing seat.

All yo-yos get screwed together tightly. I have never found a need to crank a side effect yo-yo together any tighter than any other yo-yo.

1 Like

I’ve always had the issue of a bearing damaging the shim on the bearing seat, so it comes from personal experience, although I am probably tightening the yoyos too much lol

The “bearing” loonacy continues.

Wait, what?!? We have a marketing department? And they tried to sell you on a larger outside diameter on the inner bearing race?!?

2 Likes

To start this again, just dropped a 10 ball in my rally (bought BST) and the previous owner of course didn’t send the original. With a buddha wipple the throw was LOUD, rattly… 10 ball, pretty quiet throw now.

Cleaned both bearings, the 10 ball just sits better therefore spins better.

Funny, I had the same thing! Rally from BST didn’t come with original bearing (some kind of grooved concave instead) so I bought a couple of 10-balls at MA States and man they make the Rally smooth and silent even fresh out of the bag. I’m sure it’ll need cleaning at some point if the posts here are anything to go by, but right now it feels perfect in this yo-yo.

Rofl, I know.

You guys should hit it with a blow torch next after the acetone. Make sure you burn all that residue out because you never can know for sure otherwise.