Other people's tricks

So one thing I love doing in yoyoing is learning competitors’ tricks… for example, I’ve learned three of Gentry Stein’s old tricks/combos. Now I don’t mean tricks like Grandma Kimmit Sandwich and the such, I mean combos that don’t have tutorials or names… and I have a couple of questions for you:

1. Do you do this too?
  2. Who’s your favorite person to copy?
  3. What’s your favorite trick/combo (by someone else)(just post a video with the time the trick is at)?
  4. Is there any other similar information you would like to give?

I have been breaking down other peoples combos/tricks from videos for a long time. Yuuki Spencer and Jordan Cooper would have to be the throwers whose tricks I break down the most. Although I wouldn’t say I copy them (at least I try not to).

My favorite Yuuki trick would have to be the trick that starts at 0.25

I broke down this trick, along with several of his other 2004 & 2005 era tricks, a long time ago.

I don’t know where to begin with Jordan Cooper. I can’t decide on a favorite trick, so I’ll just post my favorite video of his.

Incidentally, I broke down the first trick he does a few days ago.

One thing I love about breaking down other peoples tricks are all the different avenues it opens for me to create my own tricks. I don’t know how many tricks and concepts I’ve found from just trying to figure out some of the mounts Jordan Cooper uses!

One thing that I’ll do is, I’ll be watching a video and if I find an element I like, I’ll try to copy the movements or mounts from memory. That way I’m coming up with what turns out to be an original trick, but it was inspired from someone else.

1. Do you do this too?

Absolutely, at last the less complex ones anyways. I see it as a form of flattery

1. Who’s your favorite person to copy?

Hiroyuki suzuki, yuuki spencer, john ando

1. What’s your favorite trick/combo (by someone else)(just post a video with the time the trick is at)?

That one Yuuki trick where he wraps around his arm then sticks his arm in a loop and then flicks the string over his arm to land in some cross-arm trapeze. Not very descriptive, but a lot of fun

1. Is there any other similar information you would like to give?

Many freestyles i’ve done for school shows and the like involve combos that i’ve learned from other players. Not carbon copies of the trick, just maybe 75% of it with some original (i.e. easier) stuff thrown in

Good answers… the other two were good too, but yeah, I know what yuuki trick you are talking about…

1. Yes

2. I’ve only done a few, Hiroyuki Suzuki, John Ando, Marcus Koh.

3. Marcus Koh’s wavy trick: [at 2:25] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_miPpSbJ4c

4. The trick is basically the last part of White Buddha.

I steal things and the I learn them well and then I modify them. Then I show off to my friends…and they dont yoyo so they smile politely and then walk away.