The Shutter Review

Thanks

Great review, and I really enjoyed the backstory. Hey, that could be your specialty – give us a new thread with backstory on some of the major brands and recent releases! That would be some great reading!

Should I get one?

I know this review is sort of old now but I really enjoyed it. I feel like most reviews are done in the honeymoon phase in which the user can find nothing wrong with their yoyo (or people intentionally only review yoyos they really like), so it’s nice to see a review that is very honest and recognizes the weaknesses of a yoyo (even if they are partially due to personal preference) while also highlighting the positives.

If you like what you read in the review, sure!

You forgot about the Raptor, Echo, and Metropolis. Other than that, nice review.

Tried an Echo/Raptor. Shutters are on a different level. The shutter could easily sale for 70-80 dollars. I’d say it’s the first super high quality metal at 50 price range.

Not at all diminishing the play of those other throws, but the shutter is a different breed. Also those yoyos didn’t start a massive influx of budget metals upon their release. There have been other cheap metals, but the shutter was the first to raise expectations of a $42 dollar throw.

(Yep got mine for $42)

I just thought it was weird you mentioned the Echo2 but not the Echo1.

The echo had to be improved to compete. Duncan could feel it.

So what if I snubbed to echo2’s predecessor? I reviewed the shutter and mentioned releases that came as a response.

I know I was just confused.

^ Gotcha

I’m pretty sure the onedrop released the m1 before all of the yoyos mentioned above. For $60.

True Fact!

The M1 didn’t necessarily turn the entire industry on its head though. The shutter changed the way we thought about $50 throws. It paved the way for an array of other budget metals. Yoyos that play just as well as there $100 counterparts. Before the shutter, you’ve got Dv888’s, Dingos, and a Raptor. The Shutter’s released ushered in the golden age of budget metals. The M1 didn’t. At the time yoyo trends were different too. The Shutter fits today’s trends and fits the performance needs of today’s players better than an M1. M1 had its day. The sun has set on mid-walls, .555 response, and super narrow throws. Plus the shutter is $15 cheaper, but of course you already knew all that. :wink:

For it’s time, the M1 was revolutionary. Before it was released, the idea of a budget metal that performed as well as the premium yoyos of it’s time was unheard of. It made “budget metal” an actual category.

That’s not necessarily true. Are you just assuming that or have you actually heard manufacturers saying that? I wasn’t thinking about the super-cheapness of the shutter when I heard of it. Just saying

According to Steve Brown
“Manufacturers are saying ‘it’s all going down at the $50 price point’…”

I don’t have ties to companies, but I trust the word of Steve Brown. You may not be concerned with price, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t a selling point.

Nice review! The history part in the beginning was a nice touch. I agree about the finish. I prefer the blasted ones too.

I just got mine today and I’m gonna have to say the shutter is the t*ts (attractive female body part) of yo-yos… For it’s price…

great review! great yoyo!

Yoyos have t*ts? Are those inside the cups?