Auldey Ares and Auldey Magnum. Signature yoyos of Marcus Koh.

I realize most of their throws are terrible, but so are Duncans and people still love Duncan. Ducan puts out yoyos to market American movies. Why can’t a Chinese company do this?

I’ve never seen Blazing Teens but it wouldn’t affect my impression of their modern high performance yoyos even if it’s the worst thing ever.

Auldey was only created for blazing teens, and Duncan doesn’t copy other ccompanies throws.

Auldet Magnum and Ares was created for Marcus Koh. Not blazing teens. He told me that. He designed it, not Auldey’s Blazing teens department.

I know, auldey is associated with the cheap stuff by most people though.

They both look sick! I like the Magnum.

Duncan doesn’t need to copy yoyos since they’ve been the #1 selling brand since the dinosaurs began yoyoing.

Although their latest release the Torque does look suspiciously like several Yoyomonster designs.

By the way Maxdarx7FD, my Ares Star did come in Blazing Teen packaging. I’ve heard the packaging varies from blue to pink so maybe this is only for pink models. I don’t care though. It’s a great yoyo irrespective of the packaging or Auldey’s past marketing techniques.

It is blazing teen packaging, but it has nothing to do with Blazing Teens. Auldey did that for publicity.

I can name tons of companies newer than Auldey that have never copied anyone.

Hi guys,
My name’s Brian and I’ve been supporting Marcus way before he even became famous, you might’ve seen some of his promo videos done by me.

At the end of the day, people are going to hate and continue to hate Auldey for their shady history. I have no associations with Auldey whatsoever but this is just what i have to say about MK’s 2 sigs.

I honestly think that Auldey is trying to pull something good and original for a change with this 2 throws, though i hate to admit I really hated that weird mercedes benz spike that’l probably rip your finger off you to try to do finger grinds, I honestly thought it was a top class throw.

I, like many people initially thought he was absolutely nuts jumping from Turning Point which was widely regarded as one of the top manufactures in the scene to one with a terrible reputation. However, he has his own personal reasons for doing so. See the thing you guys don’t see about Marcus since all you get are the glory and championships on youtube is the fact that he lives a very simple life in reality and doesnt come from a family background that people would consider wealthy, however yoyoing is something he takes very seriously and travelling from where we are (Singapore) to the US every year for worlds is financially pretty rough. All I can say is that most yoyo businesses arn’t making loads of money, and that led him to finding one that had the capability to support his travels.(I mean that’s what a sponsor’s meant for after all right?)

The actual words that Marcus said to me when he first got the first prototype of the Ares is.
“If you close your eyes and play with it, it feels just like a japanese yoyo” Which truly was the case.
Though I was still quite unhappy that he made the jump back then, I found myself oddly drawn towards the Ares’s play and I constantly got him to let me have a few throws on it when we met.

And then the Magnum came about, which is hands down awesome and original.

My only issues with the yoyos is that they come with this pretty nasty pads and generic k-pads don’t fit them, and I think they priced it a little too high. (Probably using marcus as marketing)

But at the end of the day,
It’s pretty clear that Auldey’s trying to make honestly good and original throws ever since Marcus came on board and to a certain extend, they did. If you guys are going to continue to bash the company for their past mistakes and not move on then well, I’m afraid that’s a rather shallow way of thinking. If you haven’t noticed, Auldey is now supporting and sponsoring alot of the big competition’s that everyone watches, which is something some famous companies arn’t even doing.

It’s time for a mindset change.

2 Likes

Duncan and YoMega a have a reputation for crappy yoyos too, but with Duncan’s recent De-Luxxe yoyos and YoMega’ Prodigy and Glide, they’re stepping up and showing that they can keep up with modern yoyoing. If you don’t bend, you break and Auldey’s showing they can follow too.

Duncan was never seen as “bad” company, the Fhz was always loved. After worlds 2009 a lot of people lost respect for Yomega.

@ThatBrianLouis

So you think the Ares Star and Magnum are great throws, maybe as good as Turning Point, but priced too high? You can get these yo-yos for 13800 and 12800 yen, respectively. Most of Turning Point’s throws are 14800+, some as high as 29800.

One of the reasons I bought the Ares Star is because I thought it was so reasonably priced.

I do wish the pads were sized different but haven’t really had a problem with them. Then again I’m not that good.

Yes I do think they are priced rather high.

I am comparing the prices of these yoyos with other China brand yoyos
like Top-Yo or YoyoOfficer or even the new Vosun. (Which are all great throws btw)
Which all retail about half the price of a Magnum.

Pad wise, it’s personal preference.

That being said i’m not a big fan of marketing, you end up paying more for what you should be.
Look at Beats by Dre for example.
Endorsed by artists and you pay 300 bucks for it!? It doesnt even sound as good as a cheap $40 headphone. Audiophiles and studio recordists stay clear of that money milking gimmik. (bring on the haters)

I think the fact that it’s a Chinese brand is irrelevant. I think the focus should be put on the quality, finish and performance of the yoyo.

First of all, it looks amazing and if Shai thinks a yoyo is excellent, then that is saying something right there. It’s less expensive than a lot of other premiere yoyos and I’ve only heard great things.

Lower manufacturing costs should=lower price.

Too bad manufacturing costs have little to do with pricing in reality. If we all lived in Shouldland, then an Ipad would cost about $20.

Actually smart phones, etc cost a lot due to the price of parts. http://www.cnbc.com/id/101058725

You’re right. I was thinking of an article I read about IMacs a few years ago when Apple moved its manufacturing base to China. It said roughly that Apple only saves a few dollars per computer by moving to China. The Moto X costs Motorola an extra $4 to make in the U.S. Whoopee…

Anyway, the reason smart phones cost a lot, besides marketing costs, is because they have many components, which are all marked up substantially past manufacturing costs. Apple buys marked up parts. The parts manufacturers buy marked up components. The components manufacturers buy marked up ores. If everyone sold at or near manufacturing costs everything would be cheap.

Granted, I was exaggerating in that particular case, but my point was that most products are priced according to the laws of supply and demand and have less to do with manufacturing costs than advertising costs. A better example would be pharmaceuticals, makeup, jewelry, etc. I pay $300 a month for a medication that in most countries has a production cost of about $2. Those $3000 diamonds in engagement rings cost the mining companies about a dollar.

Items are generally priced at whatever people will pay for them. That’s why yo-yo costs have gone through the roof just like everything else. But comparing yo-yo prices, the Ares Star and Magnum cost less than CLYW yo-yos and are just as good, if not better. I don’t think they should be priced less simply because they were manufactured in China.

Also, I doubt it costs that much more to manufacture a yo-yo outside of China than in China. Typically low manufacturing costs are a result of sweatshops. I don’t think the yo-yo industry has any sweatshops, outside of the string segment perhaps. I can’t imagine the people hand-making Kitty String make much money…

G5s used to cost $120, when thy were made in USA.

Do you think that’s because of higher manufacturing costs or because YYF figures they can set a higher price tag for a yo-yo made in the U.S.? I’m guessing it’s both. People are usually willing to pay more for things made in the U.S. vs. China or third world countries. The U.S. Supernova costs us $40 more than the Chinese one, but then again the U.S. one was made with 7075 aluminum. Also, a jump in price to the consumer usually reflects a much smaller jump in production costs for the manufacturer. I would bet money that the $30 price difference in the G5 reflects about a $5 difference in manufacturing costs.

Anyway we’ve gone way off topic here. I’m just trying to say Chinese yo-yos can be just as good as American ones, even better, and that their prices are set more by market than actual production costs. The Ares Star when released was the best competition yo-yo made in China, and Auldey’s secondary market, after China, is likely Japan (not the U.S.), where competition yo-yos typically cost much more.

Bottom line…I have a lot of Japanese yo-yos, two Chinese yo-yos, and a few American and Canadian yo-yos. The Ares Star is really, really good. IMO better than my American and Canadian yo-yos and some of the Japanese ones.