Do I have to sacrifice response for a longer/stronger sleep

I’m a noob and I have a stock yyj classic. Using thick lube and a 50/50 blend string And I want to increase sleep time but I want it responsive to a tug. Do I have to sacrifice my response for a for a longer sleep time. And if I don’t what can i do?

Well you do need some response for a sleeping yoyo. You cant make a yoyo sleep without response. In your case, however, how long have you been throwing? Do you have a solid throw or are you still learning?

I (IMHO) have a pretty solid throw. Had a yoyo in high school but never got serious about it and then picked it up again about three or four weeks ago

Switching to 100% polly should help increase sleep times without drastically hurting your sleep times. Switching to a full size C bearing should increase sleep times as well and if it’s lubed it’ll maintain responsiveness.

Like sparhawk said, a well-lubed full-sized C bearing will probably do the trick.

Notable, though-- the Classic comes stock with O-ring response that sticks out just a wee bit into the gap. If you replace those with silicone pads, you should be able to recover a bit of sleep time, too.

(any other 19mm OD slim pad will also work I believe)

The full upgrade kit is here:

The upgrade kit all by itself will make the Classic UNresponsive. You’d have to add some thick lube to the bearing to make it come back on a tug.

Thanks for the advice. The further i get into string tricks the nicer a longer sleep time sounds more appealing but I haven’t quite got the hang of binds that and i like knowing when I tug it’ll return back to my hand.

I thought about the upgrade kit but the key word there was unresponsive made me shy away from it. But if thick lube will keep it fairly responsive I’ll give it a try. Thanks guys. Big help.

In general, lube (or lack of) will make yoyos more (or less) responsive regardless of other conditions.

In my opinion unresponsive play is not much harder than responsive. I’ve only been playing unresponsive for about a month, and it’s hard for me to not do a bind. Even when I go back to my responsive yoyo, I usually bind out of habit.

Unresponsive play is easier. Learning to play responsive is key to making your yoyoing watchable. He’s asking exactly the right questions for a player starting to get the basics down, no need to muddy up the conversation with talk of low response.

For what its worth, I don’t like the feeling of a full size lubed bearing with flush silicone pads for a responsive setup. I would either go thin bearing with silicone pads, or wide bearing with o-rings, both with thick lube/3in1 in the bearings.

Other way around actually. the snappier the response the faster the yoyo will be spinning at the end of the throw.
So if you want longer sleep times you will want to work on your throw the most but having a stronger response will actually increase spin-time.

Yeah I think I’m going to keep the stock o ring response and just put the large c bearing in it to see how it does. I also realized that my problem may not be my throw or sleep time. It’s the gap of the narrow bearing. As I get more into string tricks i find my yoyo dying. I think I’m am just slowly out growing the setup and need to tweak it to my level.

Personally if I was you I would get a YYF “Whip” to learn unresponsive play it is a great yoyo for learning tricks and it is only something like $10.

I think the Whip is $10 well spent. HOWEVER…

There’s some subjectivity within the realm of what makes a good yoyo to learn on. The Whip isn’t stable enough to tolerate slop, and it doesn’t spin long enough for you to puzzle through a trick as you’re just learning it. In that sense, it’s an excellent tool because you have to be relatively good (not saying a full-on pro or anything… just good fundamentals) to hit longer or more involved tricks.

On the other hand, some people enjoy learning when they can hit a trick front to back with a bit of hemming and hawing in the middle as they try to remember what to do next. I know, because I’m such a learner. :wink: I much prefer learning tricks on a long-spinning and stable yoyo. That doesn’t mean I “rely” on those or I never get better. I can hit any of my tricks on any of my yoyos. But I work towards that difficulty level from the other direction. Get it rock-solid with the forgiving yoyo, and work towards being able to land it with the lesser-performing (but usually more fun!) yoyos.