YoYo WorkShop - Tornad-Yo v.2

I personally hate the design but the best of luck to both of you. I always like seeing new manufacturers.

LOOKS PAINFUL

Painful? A tornado is a destructive vortex of violent, rotating winds. To us, if a tornado is painful - the Tornad-Yo should be equally as painful :stuck_out_tongue:. Joking…of course.

To all that inquire about “the wall”, it looks ‘higher’ in the drawing (due to the angle) than it actually is. The wall itself sits just 1.82mm above the leading edge. Due to the angular shape leading up to the wall, friction will not be an overbearing issue (and if it turns out to be - we’ll fix it in prototype #2)

In a few weeks, when they arrive - we’ll post actual pictures for all to see. If the wall is THAT big of a deterrent for people, then we’ll remove it on prototype #2. We’ve got the money to make this project right - no matter how many tries it takes.

We’re experimenting - and want to share out experimentation with the yoyo community. We’re trying something unique and different. Time will tell guys! Thanks for taking the time to read!

-Wayne and Dave

So when do you guys think I’ll be able to try one of these? Do you guys have any other yoyo designs?

Now this is what makes a good company.
You need money to make money and that’s where most of the start-ups are going wrong.

I wish all the best to you guys. Good luck.

Thanks man! Maybe our second release will appeal to your “design-savvyness”! :slight_smile:

We’re at the 2 1/2 week point before they’re ready. I’ll certainly let you know when they’re available for your to try out! We have several designs that we’re holding onto closely…one of which is a more organic shape that we feel people will love! (We’re busy building the brand and working towards getting The Tornad-Yo in the hands of players) Thanks!

Looks incredible guys!!! Cant wait to see machined proto

Thank you for the kind words! If you want to try one out when they’re released - let us know!

Us either! Thanks!

The release date is fast approaching. Stay tuned for the drop date and photos of the Tornad-Yo prototypes! Of the initial run of 10 prototypes - only 2 are left!

Check out yoyoworkshop and follow us on Instagram for all the latest details!

-Wayne

Hello all,

We linked our website in our intial forum post (which allows people to buy our products), which is against the rules. We’re sorry about that…we just overlooked it :frowning:

Anywho, we’ve attached some pictures of our first prototype (version 1). They came out great! Granted, the shape is extreme and you will either love it or hate it - a sink or swim type of design, if you will. We did this on purpose - to try out something different. We knew it wouldn’t appeal to everyone, but thought the community could appreciate a company attempting something different and unique.
We’ll likely be experimenting with more design and prototyping with this yoyo, but we had a run of 10 made in this design. They’re vibe-less, spin long and stable, and are floaty. “The wall” is an issue for some people, of which we’ll certainly be re-working and making a more flowing organic shape in future versions. We’ll also be shaving a tiny bit of weight off of the yoyo’s to make them 66g-67g with axle and bearing.

Specs:
Diameter: 54.54mm (2.15 in)
Width: 43.55mm (1.71 in)
Weight: 65.64g (~69.5g with axle and bearing)
Response: 21mm Ring of Flowable Silicone for Prototype Run
Axle: 8mm Set Screw
Bearing: .250 x .500 x .187 Flat Bearing
Material: 6061 T6 Aluminum
Finish: Raw

With this being said, if you want to contact us - shoot us an e-mail or PM us here. We’d love to hear from you and talk yoyos!

-Wayne
YoYo WorkShop
Instagram: @yoyoworkshop

Althought there is zero interest here (or so it seems) - the yoyos have sold out…each with a very happy new owner.

YOYOEXPERT EDIT:
Removed mention of store.

Thank you! I don’t know if you were part of the our other thread (got deleted due to my inability to follow rules…haha), but we took a gamble on this shape - on purpose. Sometimes, people are afraid of change…and other times, people jump on change. I think we were lucky to find a bunch of guys who jumped on change! I’m glad it was a hit! Thanks for reading!

-Wayne

I have a few questions:

1. Why the weird shape? I am not against it, I think it’s really cool, but what lead you to try that?
  2. Is the first picture the yoyo with different weights? How did you change that and what is the difference in play?

Hey Zorro!
The weird shape is just to try something different. Surprisingly (to most people), it plays really well! It’s different, fun, fast - and although it’s a few grams heavier than most yoyos on the market now…you’d never know it ;). We were shooting for “odd”, “strange”, “bizarre”, and even a touch of “innovation.” I think we met the mark, but we can always be more innovative (who can’t!).

Which first picture are you referring to? The initial thread postig picture? Or the first picture of the machined yo-yos? The first picture on our thread is just a weird angle shot. The design hasn’t changed at all. We’re looking at making a design change, but it’s just to see what else we can accomplish with it before going into production.

I’m telling you - this thing is special! :wink:
Thanks!
-Wayne

The shape reminds me A LOT of the Envy. Just less “rounded.”

Attached, please find Tornad-Yo v.2 CAD screenshots.

Overall, we were VERY pleased with how well version 1 turned out. So happy, that we’re keeping the same width and diameter, but going a more ‘typical’ route with the shape to see what else we can squeeze out of it. The version 1 was well received despite it’s initial critique based on its wacky shape. We’re planning for the Version 2 to surpass your expectations. Below - please find the specs and the attached pictures. Thanks!

Version 2 Specs:
Diameter: 54.54mm (2.15 in)
Width: 43.55mm (1.71 in)
Weight: TBD (expect ~66.5g)
Response: 21mm Flowable Silicone
Axle: 10mm Set Screw
Bearing: OD 10-ball (used with permission of One Drop Design)
Material: 6061 T6 Aluminum
Finish: Raw, solid and splash anodized

Looks great. If I were you though I would give this a completely different name so the OG Tornad design can live on in the future if you’d like.

I think that is a great idea! We’ll see about doing this (we already have the boxes stamped and all. Haha!)
Thanks!