Hand turned yoyo: HTYY#0.44 (reply #186)

Very nice work man! That takes a lot of skill and talent to be doing that kind of work by hand. If you would start to produce more, I would really consider getting one. Can’t wait to see more.!

Those are beautiful. You’re an artist.

Those are some awesome yo-yos! Definitely true works of art yet awesome playable yo-yos.

That’s amazing, though think white in black would look a bit better.

Hi everyone.

Some forum members (many thanks to them) here asked me whether I will make an axle hub similar to the Yoyojoker’s EX-SYSTEM. My first thought about this system was that it is really a good idea, and it will save me a lot of time and work machining bearing seat and axle hub for each yoyo. But I also expect some weight distribution problem/limitation as the hubs may take up quite significant amount of weight portion from my HT delrin yoyo, hence, a centered weighted yoyo. However, at the beginning, I didn’t really work on this idea due to limitation in lathe machining skills. After some times, especially after the completion of a custom made HT yoyo for one of the forum members here, I have gained some new ideas in machining, so, here you are, the…

I don’t know what you think of the name, but personally I think it fits the main function of this system, to swap the yoyo body. And I must make it clear that I don’t own the idea, and my design is slightly differ from the one exists in market. Honestly, at present, I can’t manually machine the hubs without making some changes on the original existing design due to inadequate machining skill and tools.

So, similar to Yoyojoker’s, my HT SwapBody consists of…

axle hubs,

bearing seats,

and yoyo bodies/ halves.

To assemble them (for those not familiar to Yoyojoker EX-SYSTEM), put the axle hub in yoyo body (at the inner hub).
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/akCu6ipiDf5aZAHahVMXlqBV3rOWEVA56Gg1kOW23uE=w487-h366-no

Then, fit the bearing seat on the other side of the yoyo body.

Put in bearing and axle, you are almost there.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/QV_XYJoMrkf_mMow5y1RRgxpyJGOOT4_Qv7cSxazEt0=w487-h366-no

Work complete, a HT SwapBody yoyo!
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/GsJvQLQT-WVLkUtR0SVfxEL5ckPGWyeLwhI2hxSbBDM=w487-h366-no

More photos:

The weights of the bearing seat and axle hub are 2g and 2.8g respectively, a total of 4.8g. With bearing and axle, the whole axle and bearing system may take up to 20% of a 65g yoyo. As I mentioned above, IMO, that’s a significant amount. As expected, the yoyo shown in the photo is very much centered weighted. Of course, I have not really work on the rim and inner hub, may be aluminum rings will fix the problem, or may be reduce some excess weight from the axle hub. I am also thinking of using lighter material for the bearing seat, delrin will be a good choice. Anyway, this is my first attempt, I will try to improve it in the future. Oh, I just got a new idea (delrin HT SwapBody, aluminum body, centered weight problem solved, rim weighted,…an inverted XLR8???), better put it on paper now, so…

Thanks for reading. And your comments are most welcomed.

ck

Lol, right after i order a yoyo from you…

Sigh… Expect another one soon…

I want one of those!

Yes, you are right. The yoyo caused me a lot of trouble but I learned a lot from the project, thanks!

Seriously? :smiley:

Hi again.

This is a continuation to the HT SwapBody project, the yoyo bodies/halves. I have not touched on the halves in my post #58 on the HT SwapBody because they were not completed at that time. What I did on the halves were to remove some delrin from the side wall near the bottom of the inner hub and put in delrin rings. The rationals were to reduce center weight and put more weight on the rim. I was struggling in doing this as there was not much room in the hub to manipulate the weight distribution (for a 50mm diameter yoyo) as I wanted to maintain the total weight within 62 - 65g. I know aluminum ring can solve this problem better but my mini lathe (and the operator, that’s me) prefer working with delrin more than aluminum. So, here you are…

Specification:

Diameter = 50 mm
Weight = 63.56 g
Width = 42.91 mm
Gap = 4.9 mm
Axle = M4 x 20
Bearing size = C
Response = Flowable silicone (can also takes 19 mm pads)

Photos:

And some comparisons between this project and the HT#0.17.

So, that’s the complete HT SwapBody project. Hope you like it. And your comments are most welcomed. Thanks.

ck

I’m impressed! Looks fantastic.

Hey where did you get the hubs? I want to get one for when I mod my fhz.

he made the hubs lol

Great job on the new prototype

Many thanks for the positive comments.

Thanks to jbritter3 for the answer. Yes, I made those, and they can be used for modding FHZ. I think I will try that on my own, many thanks for the idea. I never thought of using them on modding purpose because all this while I was just thinking of using them on my own HT yoyo bodies/halves. Honestly, those hubs are not perfect yet (the yoyo vibes with these hubs, and I need to do some refinements on them), and I am not sure whether I can use them for commercial purpose.
Anyway, thanks for the interest and, again, the idea.

Inspired by Joralco (Thanks!), I quickly did a brief study on using the HTSwapBody for modding FHZ. I am very happy to find that the bearing seats can be used directly on the FHZ without using the hubs, but unfortunately the bolt was not long enough, at least 5mm shorter. Here’s the photo:

That’s mean, provided with a longer bolt, it can be used directly on FHZ without any modification. How convenient! I will try to work something out from this. Stay tuned…

When I come into some spare money I am owning one of your yoyos!

xxjohnsonxx, thanks a lot. You don’t know how meaningful is your support to me.

Now, back to the “discovery” on using my HT SwapBody on modding a FHZ, I must admit that this idea has been out there long ago, i.e. the SPR system (many thanks to jhb8426 for notifying me about this). In fact, Ricerocket has shown us a SPR’ed Duncan Wheel yesterday. I am so ignorant in this, sorry guys.

Joralco, you should get a SRP kit for your FHZ.

It is genuine interest. Need a nice playing delrin again, and I enjoy your work. Keep it up!

Man,this is very very interesting!good work on all the protos that you are making by hand! Iwould definitely like to get one of these from you. If you would like,please pm me if you would be interested in selling me one to try out. Keep up the amazing work!

The spr kits are like impossible to get