Hand turned yoyo: HTYY#0.44 (reply #186)

That looks really nice good job

1 Like

That looks awesome. The shape reminds me of a P-Wave.

1 Like

That’s pretty cool.

1 Like

If it plays as good as it looks you build a real winner.

1 Like

Hi again.

This is the making of my latest hand turned yoyo. I planned to made a large V-shaped yoyo, with weight rings. Okay, let’s go…

First, the design and drawing. I must admit that I referred to YYF Protostar for the body profile.

Now, work time. Let’s start with the yoyo halves first…

And followed by the weight rings. I forgot to take pictures while making the axle hubs.

Okay, rings’ done.

Now, yoyo parts almost complete.

Time to assemble all the parts, and here’s the yoyo.

Time to test the yoyo. Oh no, the wobble and vibe, it was terrible. And it was about 62.8g, lighter than expected. What have I done wrong with the yoyo?

I couldn’t sleep well that night. I was sad and frustrated, but I knew I mustn’t give up and should do something with it. The next day, I came out with some ideas of remedy. The wobble should be the consequence of weight placement, so the rings must be placed deeper into the halves to make it more stable. And the weight, I have to made heavier axle hubs to increase the weight and hopefully stabilize it and reduce the wobble. So, after a few hours of work, here’s the modified yoyo.

Now the wobble has gone, vibe’s still there but has reduced significantly. But the weight still remains at 62.7g, as I didn’t count in the weight loss of the yoyo halves while deepening the rings. How does it plays? It plays like a lighter version of Protostar. Here’s the photos.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/GXQvpZuoEXK3j931uR3gkWOSmmGPqNcjGV5MHMeg8jI=w600-h450-no

And also comparison with my previous yoyo.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/6RNdLeddUjiw7czZE2U-L5fqbfEcKcG5rOyfD5cLFXw=w600-h450-no

Thanks for reading and your comments are very much welcomed.

Awesome!

Will you be selling these or what’s your plans with these??

Thank you.

Many thanks for the question.
Yeah, I am more than happy to sell my yoyo as this is one of my objectives in hand turning yoyo. I will consider making duplicates (not the one shown in this thread) if there is a demand.
A hand-turned yoyo, anyone?

I’d be down for it if it fits my preferences, all I need is something between 63-66 grams, 41-44 mm width, 53-56 mm diameter, a shape like what you got! I’d be super interested in trading some of my bst items for it, but if the price is right I’d buy it :slight_smile:

I really appreciate your interest in my hand-turned yoyo. My yoyo #0.14 seems to fit all your preference except for the weight, my bad luck. :cry: (But I can always add a bit more weight to it, this is one of the beauties of hand-turning yoyo) Please check your personal message.
I am working on an all delrin yoyo and will share with all of you soon.

I would be interested, especially in a very light one, perhaps like the last one you made.
They are very nice.

Oh the less the better! the 62 grams would be fine by me!

First of all, many thanks for the comments on my hand-turned yoyos, I appreciate it very much.

I would like to share will you all my latest yoyo, the HT#0.15. It is a “soft” V-shape delrin yoyo with aluminum axle hubs. Specifications as followed:

Specification:

Diameter = 56 mm
Weight = 64.10 g
Width = 41.90 mm
Axle = M4 x 20
Bearing size = C
Response = Flowable silicone

Photos:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-yStfHfBUVNE/UtlcSrveBEI/AAAAAAAAAcI/dbKAZVMakTg/w600-450-no/P1170322.JPG

And, here are the 3 yoyos that I have shared with you all so far:

Thanks for viewing and your comments are most welcomed.

Looks really nice! My suggestion for the third would be making the rims a slight angle to make them more effective for catching the string. If the string hits the flat it may or may not end up where u want it. Other than that looks sweet!

Hmmm, interesting axle system you have. How tight is it on the yoyo? If it’s anything like the YYJ Solid Spin system, I could see some problems. If it’s not tight enough, the insert can actually side out of the yoyo when force is applied to a side. Looks amazing though! Could you do mods like re threading throws or hub mods? If so, I have a messed up Bassalope that could use a new hub!

Thanks for the suggestion, and I agree with you. I have to compromise to a certain design, like this one, due to my limitation in lathe operation skills and other consideration like easy produce.

The hubs are press fitted to the yoyo halves. I must admit that I have faced problems with the hubs and I have worked hard to overcome them. So far I am pretty happy with the hubs, they are tight enough, no problem at all. Thanks for the valuable comment.
And for re-threading a yoyo, honestly, so far I have only done on my own HT yoyos which I am familiar with. But I will made some researchs and come back to you. Thanks.

Aw man! I just drooled all over my keyboard.

Nice job! I particularly like that most recent one.

As far as I’m aware, pretty much every hand turned delrin is press-fit, so you’re fine there.

Will you be selling these they look stunning!

1 Like