Hand turned yoyo: HTYY#0.44 (reply #186)

Hi everyone.

This is about the yoyo I mentioned in my last post…

I mentioned in my reply#96 that I would like to make a simple yoyo that feels comfortable in hand and fun to play with. I think this is it, my best shot so far, not about how it plays, but it is created with all my thought ,experience and skills that I have developed/acquired in the past 10 months. So, this is the one, my HT version of “54”.

Specifications:

Diameter = 54mm
Weight = 64.78g
Width = 41.65mm
Gap = 4.65mm

Photos:

Honestly, in terms of play, I think some of my previous models with weight rings (especially HT#0.15 and HT#0.16) play just a little bit better, but I prefer this yoyo over the others.

Thanks for reading this…

ck

dope once again! this is my favorite thread on this forum.

1 Like

I am really in awe of this thread, the professionalism, the modesty, the politeness, and most of all, the yo-yos. I’ve never really seen such clean yo-yos made as first attempts.

How much would it cost to have one of these custom made?

1 Like

Hallo!

This is a simple project, weight ring! Weight ring (especially of metal type) have been an usual add-on to plastic yoyo (and now bi-metal yoyo) to enhance its play characteristic. Beside adding to the weight of a yoyo, weight ring also changes its weight distribution. But in this project, there is one more consideration i.e. the acoustic properties. In my opinion, the change in sound of a spinning yoyo is due to the hub design. This is based on my observation in comparing my own HT#0.15 http://yoyoexpert.com/forums/index.php/topic,70236.15.html and HT#0.16 http://yoyoexpert.com/forums/index.php/topic,70236.30.html. One major difference between these two yoyo is the thickness and placement of the weight rings. And I found that the spinning HT#0.15 has a solid sound but the HT#0.16 has a hollow sound that I like. So I thought may be I can made a weight ring for my beloved latest creation HT#0.21 (54) (as mentioned in my previous post that the play of other HT with delrin weight rings are slightly better than HT#0.21). I chose delrin instead of aluminum as the material for the weight ring as I have to keep the total weight around 68g plus it’s much happier working with delrin than aluminum ;D.

Here’s a diagram showing the yoyo with and without weight ring:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/tm82rJTLkLFYNTr2WUWpLGHtauCZAK0aTX8jiQ6Uz6M=w584-h390-no

I purposely create a space between the weight ring and inner ring in hopping that it will affect the acoustic of the yoyo and adding weight to the rim.

Here’s the weight rings:

Here’s the yoyo with weight rings (please refer to my reply #99 for the same yoyo but without weight rings):

The outcome? Total weight increased from 64.78g to 68.15g. Playability, I notice an increase in solidness and sluggishness (as aspected :’(). How about acoustic properties? It seems like no obvious difference :’( :’( :’(. I have tried placing the weight rings at different depth in the hub but still no significant difference (difference is there but very small). I believe the hollow space in the hub is too small to create a hollow sound (assuming that my idea of hollow space in a yoyo hub affects the acoustic of the yoyo is true). Experiment failed…

Ok, thanks for reading my post. Till next time…

ck

Hello again.

It’s been 2 and a half months since my last update in this thread. This time, I would like to share with you a custom made yoyo and 2 HTYYs.

Here’s the first one, a custom made yoyo for a member in this forum (thank you so much!):
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/4KWl-Q46N3_cSDvHDxK_xGA6LXP9XL268xIfDBqDmXs=w922-h427-no
It is the forth custom made yoyo so far. It may not be the toughest to made, but definitely a tougher one. Here’s the requirements from this forum member: a yoyo with shape of a YYR Six, diameter  54 - 56mm, weight and width around 67g and 42.5mm respectively and finally a mix of black and white delrin. I studied the YYR Six and proposed a diameter x width of 54mm x 44mm in order to retain a close diameter/width ratio of the Six. However, during the making, I have to reduce the width a little bit due to vibe issue. It took me about 24 working hours to complete the yoyo. Let’s look at the photos now…

I am quite happy with the yoyo. It plays well, not too heavy and relaxing. It has a significant amount of vibe but luckily I was able to reduce it by teflon tape method. I sent this yoyo out in mid of October but due to unforeseen reason, it only reached the buyer today, the buyer even helped me to log a report to USPS (thanks again). Despite of the delay, the buyer is happy with the yoyo, and so do I.

During the making of the custom made yoyo, I came across the YYF Space Cowboy. Its rim design is so beautiful and I thought of making a delrin version of Space Cowboy, here’s my design:

I am quite experienced with mixing black and white delrin now, so the rim is not a problem to me, but it nearly cracked my head to machine, precisely, the extra step just before the gap. I know it looks like a simple task to any experienced lathe operator but not a newbie like me. I don’t think I will include this extra step in my next designs, not until I have enough skill and experience to do so. Here’s how the actual yoyo looks like:

I really like the look of this yoyo, I thought a pair of caps will make it looks even better:

Wow, stunning. Personally, I think this is one of the most beautiful HTYYs that I have made so far. But sadly, it vibes beyond my acceptance level, even worse with the caps on. I wont say this project is a failure, but the vibe is just unbearable. I tried to tune it but to no avail. Must be due to bad weight placement.

I am quite sad with the outcome but life has to go on… Next, the HTYY#0.26. If you notice, each of my HTYY design is named with a sequential number. Between HTYY#0.23 above and HTYY#0.26 are actually HTYY#0.24 which is an improved version of HTYY#0.23 and HTYY#0.25 which is a delrin FHZ. But I skipped these two design and go straight to HTYY#0.26 just to test some of my ideas especially on the extra step near the gap.  Here’s the design:

In this design, I made some changes to the step near the gap to reduce the difficulty level of machining. I was hopping that the presence of the step will shift some weight outward, hence more stability. It also changes the look to my regular V shape design. If you are aware of my recent mod on my FHZ (http://yoyoexpert.com/forums/index.php/topic,79713.0.html), I have replaced the caps with weight rims, so I thought it will be cool to put the caps on this yoyo. So I made this yoyo FHZ caps compatible just for aesthetic purpose. Here’s how it looks like:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/P8Z78LpKPUncBfFxZwiK40CPb4GuNePcnSBuv4WSyls=w680-h510-no

*It is not my intention to decorate my yoyo with an ant, please ignore it  ;D

If you look at the axle hub of HTYY#0.23 and HTYY#0.26 above, they are drilled through in order for me to pop out the caps from the hole at bearing seat.

The hole actually has another usage, you can tune the yoyo from the outside without having to totally unscrewing the yoyo like so:

To tune the yoyo, all you have to do is to loosen the yoyo a bit and start turning the axle by using a hex key through the hole form the side. I found it useful and easier then the conventional method.

Ok, those are my latest project. What’s next? I now thinking of making one or a pair of delrin looper for myself. Stay tuned.

Thanks for reading my post. Hope to hear your comment.

ck

2 Likes

^Thats a really cool idea for the tuning method. And that yoyo looks awesome as alway’s

Impressive looking work.

Wow. The .23 I could get behind. Reminds me of the nova series, specificity the Delrin severe. Just heavier. I like it

Wow. I fully admit, I want them so bad. How do they play?! Are they for sale!? I dig this throw so much dude. Like a lot a lot

holy cow there is some excellent work in this thread. white and black look so good haha it makes all of your designs look even more bold when most of them are just simple, well done designs. bravo, i will be checking this thread more often because your work is just so appealing to the eye

I think all the possible congratulations have been said so why to be redundant.
I really dig your job, don’t get me wrong but would love to see an H shape after all that wing shape exploration.

I can get behind this easily.

These are all gorgeous! What are those green response pads that you are using?

My goodness, I nearly drooled.

I remember seeing this thread just when it came out, and was impressed. Now that I’ve seen your lathe skills improve to such awesome designs, I’m even more so. Have you tried hand-turning a wood yoyo of the same shape?

Any chance of catching the turning on a video?

Nice work.

This is honestly my favorite thread.

I sent you a reply via pm but since there are other friends here asking me question so…
I have not turned a wood yoyo because I am so used and comfortable turning delrin yoyo and I think getting suitable wood (especially in small quantity) may not be easy in my country. But I definitely would like to try it in the future. Many thanks for the idea and your kind action in bringing my thread back in the front page :smiley:

I don’t think I am ready for this at the moment. But I have just got myself a DSLR camera and I am still learning to shoot photo with it (that’s is one of the reasons why I have no time for yoyo turning lately lol), so the possibility of catching the turning on a video is there, but really not now. Thanks for the question.

Thanks for your kind support. I will TRY to share more of my HTYYs in the future (finger crossed).

ck

Really stunning work. Something about black and white delrin - makes them look so classy.