Exciting Books

Yeah, not the least of which is the utter ridiculousness of Quidditch. Rowling could have come up with a more believable and interesting “flying around on a broom” sport than that.

Philip K Dick in general. But do Androids dream of electric sheep(turned into Blade Runner) is great and so are his short stories which became movies.

I also love The Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy, a great short read 1000000000000 times better than the movie makes out to seem.

I don’t read much but those are my favorite authors and books.

Now Graphic Novels well more novel but still.

persepolis is a great insight into the the Iranian revolution and what happened as a nation transitions to a Theocracy.

That is pretty much all I got, again not much of a reader.

check target they have the divergent series for sale there. (or at least at my local ones)

Yeah I see your point. Maybe they should have said the first in like 10 or 20 years that would have been believable. I guess it was planned to make us like Katniss more haha.

Me too -.- but oh well can’t please everyone lol. A lot of people also do that with the last book it seems. Just to make us suffer and wait I guess lol

Well at least you read. Unfortunately, most people do not even read, which I think they just have not read the right books. And those books sound pretty good, I’ll give them a read sometime :slight_smile:

What I didn’t like about the Hunger Games was the pacing. Collins would slow down the book at really mundane moments, then important scenes would be over in half a page. Then she would skip ahead in time a couple weeks. It just didn’t sit well with me.

Also, this book was published a year or two before the Hunger Games (at least where I checked), and the similarities between the book/concepts are eerily similar.

Speaking of “mundane” moments, i suggest the mortal instruments. (The movie was horrible btw)

Omg how could i forget pendragon? Read that! In my top 5 favorite series.

His Dark Materials (known to some people better as “The series with The Golden Compass”) is rather good.

Wow that is rather interesting about that book, but nowadays what is original? I see what you mean about the pace. Especially in the third book I noticed the pace was not fluctuating quite well, but I still enjoyed the content. Somebody had suggested Pendragon before too, so I will be checking that out when I am finished with the 60 other books I gotta check out haha :wink:

READ STEELHEART! It’s amazing!!!

man haven’t seen this thread in a while lol and what is steelheart about?

I like pretty much anything by Sanderson. Try reading the Mistborn trilogy.

heres some books i just finished reading from the summer

The Foundation Trilogy by Isac Asimove
1984 by George Orwell
Zen and the art of Motorcycle maintenance by Robert Prisig
The hunt for read october by Tom Clancy

anywho all old books but there Fantastic!!! ;D

EVERYONE should read 1984 by George Orwell.
Animal Farm and Lord of the Flies are incredibly good as well, but I assume most of you already read those for school.
The Jungle by Upton Sinclair is a favorite of mine.

AND YES THE LORD OF THE RINGS BOOKS. AND THE HOBBIT. SUCH GOOD BOOKS.

I’ve been wanting to read A Song of Fire and Ice for a while now but just can’t find the time.

oh yeah i forgot this year im reading animal farm and lord of the flies!!!

Ok I’ve got a lot of suggestions XD

The Discworld series by Terry Pratchett is absolutely AMAZING! It’s not everybody’s thing, but most likely you’d enjoy it. It’s generally fantasy, but it’s really quite hard to force into a genre.

If you like interesting old fashioned fantasy and science then I highly suggest “the big three”. H. P. Lovecraft, Clark Ashton Smith, and Robert E. Howard. These guys were amazing and prolific short story writers who primarily wrote for Weird Tales. Most Lovecraft and Smith’s work is horror, and it’s some of the best that I’ve ever read. There are 2 things I’ll warn you about them though. Lovecraft and Smith use a lot of “big” words, so you may want a dictionary handy if you find yourself stumbling over many of the words. The other thing I’ll warn you about is Lovecraft was a bit of a racist jerk and occasionally that comes through in his writing. It’s usually not too bad and I try to ignore it, but there it is…

If you like thoughtful Science Fiction, Orson Scott Card is absolutely amazing. Most people would suggest his Ender’s Game series, which is amazing, but I would first suggest reading some of his short stories and Wyrms.

If you’re looking for a totally different way to read something I would suggest Gamebooks. Gamebooks are a very interesting style of book where you are the main character. About every page (sometimes more, sometimes less) you are given a choice. Depending on what choice you make you go to a different page. This allows many stories to all be in the same book. My favorite Gamebooks are the Choose Your Own Adventure series, and Steve Jackson’s Sorcery! The Sorcery! books are more mature and also include a simple dice combat system and you keep track of items you’re carrying.

That will probably keep you busy for a while. Have fun! :slight_smile:

Actually it is now the Foundation Series, as he wrote more after the first three. Here’s the list:
2.1 Prelude to Foundation
2.2 Forward the Foundation
2.3 Foundation
2.4 Foundation and Empire
2.5 Second Foundation
2.6 Foundation’s Edge
2.7 Foundation and Earth

Then later his estate authorized three authors to fill in the blanks with three more books which are worth a read:
Foundation’s Fear - Gregory Benford
Foundation and Chaos - Greg Bear
Foundation’s Triumph - David Brin,

I have them all.

hmm then i guess i have some reading to do…