Yoyo Appraisal Thread

I’m terrible at yoyo appraising but my vote would be more towards the $75 price tag on the space bat, they don’t come around often.

Mint masamune with the tinyest amount of vibe

I’d say 80 easy, and an affogato at 100 easy. I love m1’s , they should bring it back.

Agreed on another run of m1’s! Pretty much jump started the wave of affordable metals. Would love a nickel one.

It’s responses like these that support why this thread needs to be shut down. Most ‘appraisals’ here are unwarranted BST lookups for yoyos still in stock here on YYE. And when a really nice piece like this M1 pops up, unqualified ‘appraisers’ bury its value.

This M1 is easily worth $120. How do I know that? Because I’m a collector, and although I’m not even looking for this specific yoyo, I’d happily pay $120 for it. So for someone who’s actually looking for this, it’s obviously going to be worth more than $120.

I’d love to leave you with a constructive idea, like to maybe do a little research before you post in this thread, but it’s useless to the swarm of newcomers who want to take part. Sorry if this comes off as pessimistic, but this thread really doesn’t fit in on these forums. It’s counterproductive to the large number of collectors who are trying to enjoy the history of the sport.

:-\ Maybe it’s time to put this thread to rest?

I’m not a newbie, and I would consider myself an amatuer collector, but I’m obviously not in your league of expertise. It was just my opinion. Obviously I was wrong considering you yourself would pay $120. There’s no need to react like I insulted a family member, and There’s no need to put this thread to rest. Instead, why don’t you make a new thread and call it LEDGERYOYO’s yoyo appraisal thread. Then you, and you alone, can make yoyo appraisals. You could be the sole arbiter of what a yoyo is worth.

I’ve been buying a lot of yoyos lately, and I’ve seen your BST thread often. I may have even bought a yoyo from you in the past, I don’t remember, but since you’ve basically called me out as a “Dufus” for being “counterproductive to yoyo collectors enjoyment of the history of the sport” (I didn’t even realize I had that kind of power), you can know that I will never buy a yoyo from you in the future.

edit: Looks like I did buy a yoyo from you in the past and gave you great feedback and you didn’t even have the courtesy to give feedback in return. Maybe you were too busy enjoying the history of this sport.

2 Likes

Gentlemen,
let’s not bicker and argue about who killed who, thIs is a happy thread and my very special guest here today.
That being said throws are what someone well pay for them, I once got a Fluchs for a pair of Takeshi modded fhzs, that was around sixty bucks for those fhzs, so when I had the chance to get another Fluchs,I offered the guy sixty bucks and he was not amused but I had no other history to base my offer except what I had done in the past. You offer and you learn and sometimes you get throws for cheep. Jmho.

I’ve sold a fluchs on eBay for 65 dollars and eetsit for 60.

So, agreed with Grendel. I bought a freehand 1 for 50 and 2 weeks later a guy bought it for 120.

Value of yoyos really do fluctuate a lot based on who’s buying. All in all I feel like this thread does help more than it hurts.

1 Like

So, you are now the Lord God King of yo-yo appraisal now?

Curious; how do you get that job? Do you consistently pay inordinate amounts of money for junk throws?

Your response is totally out of line. You have no right to claim any sort of superiority on appraisals. This person gave their opinion. That opinion is based on their experience - just as your opinion is based on yours. Just because YOU would pay more, does not make it “worth” that amount. It only means YOU will pay that much one time, for one throw. Will anyone else pay that much? Doubt it.

Projecting your opinions as those of others is just hubris.

I would not give you $20 for that outdated model Mr. “Yo-yo collector”; whatever that means…

You say his response is totally out of line yet you take some pot shots at the yoyo in question and lowball it at that. You say it is one person’s opinion and then foist you own opinion on the masses as well, like you are the “expert”. What hubris is that?

Sorry to everyone else who had to be a part of the drama, I was just curious what the Bat was going for. This “outdated” model is one of my prized pieces in my collection. I find it amusing that the M1 is being called an outdated model, are the Peak and the No Jive outdated? For that matter, what is an “outdated model”? You know what I call an older yoyo that is still fun as heck to play? A yoyo.

I’ll trade you a custom three pack (one yellow string, one green string, and one pink string) of Gator Floss for the Space Bat.

db

That is tempting, Gator Floss was some of the best string around… but I think I will have to pass.

Besides, the Space Bat wouldn’t fit well with the rest of your collection. It isn’t nickel plated. ;D

I miss gator floss and ham string.

I have many non-nickel OneDrops… ;D

Ok, I’ll up the offer to two strings of each color, plus one yellow HamString. See, the appraised value is already going up!

db

I think I will still have to pass. About the only way you would get my Space Bat is if you convinced Paul to bring back Gator Floss so that I could buy my own whenever I need it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Depends on your definition. A synonym would be ‘obsolete’, which obviously they aren’t because they’re still fully capable of performing a number of tricks. Though in a competitive setting, most would say they’re a bit out of date - the same goes for your M1. Not to say it isn’t a real beaut, because it is. But play-wise, it’s not quite on par with, say, a Draupnir :wink:

I’m a bit rusty with prices at the moment, but like any older collectable model, it really depends on the buyer. I’d probably put the median price around $80, though. But I’m sure it’s much more valuable to you.

Competitive play is such a small portion of the community though. How many players actually compete versus those that just throw for the fun of it? IF we only judge on competitive performance we are going to miss out on some great models, past and present, that are not designed with competitive play in mind.

I compare cars and yo-yos quite a bit so, using your criteria, my car would be “obsolete” or “out of date” because it is not able to compete on a Nascar track. I would call them classics instead, like comparing a 1967 Shelby GT500 against a 2017 Shelby GT350R. Sure, the newer model is going to be quicker with more modern amenities but the '67 is going to have a feel that you just cannot get today. The M1, Peak, etc fall in that latter category with a feel you just don’t get anymore and are still quite fun to throw. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Mint first run wooly marmot. no damage only played. stock vibe.

Hi! Due to my really long break from throwing I am not able to determine the value of my yoyos set. I am thinking about fresh start selling all my throws, but I don’t want to get ripped off so I hope you will help me!

From the top left:

1. Crucial Heavy Cream purple splash with BC bearing. Condition- MINT

2. Grind machine 44 Clash 14.09.2008 date printed on it with neon green hubstacks. Currently with no bearing or axle.
    Condidion- some dings and scratches

3. One Drop Nickle Dingo with original 10 ball flat bearing. Condition - MINT

4. YYF MVP Cherry edition with Ceramic KK bearing. Condition - MINT

5. Crucial Half and Half with Center Trac bearing. Condition - minor scratches of sides. Rest of the throw perfect. Playing smooth, when tuned well.

6. Crucial Milk 2% with original BC bearing. Condition - same as H&H

7. ILYY Noctu Candy Blasted with original ILYY flat bearing. Condition - one small production mark on anodizing smaller than needle tip. Redt of the throw MINT

8. ILYY E1NS with original ILYY flat bearing. Condition - MINT

9. YYF 888 all black with Center Trac bearing. Condition - one ding, some scratches, pretty good condition.

10. YYF Protostar with Center Trac. Condition - good

11. Fireball, but it is priceless for me

12. YYF Genesis with V shaped bearing. Condition - dinged and scratched like F

Hello,
I hope this is the right spot. I recently saw a Flores yoyo in a store and I am wondering if it is reproduction or real.

Thanks for your help!
Jane