The Fixed Axle Megathread of Awesomeness

okay, now let’s get into the fixed friday stuff. for those who haven’t seen the column, it’s a 1-2 minute mini-clip of pure fixed axle tricks, generally accompanied by lot of words talkin’ about those tricks. sometimes it’s instructional content, sometimes it’s talking about the theory behind the moves, sometimes it’s just showing off, but it’s always a pretty good time.

the first installment covered both trapeze/trapeze-bro stalls and the kickflip suicide to thumb mount. the stalls are definitely a bread & butter move in the modern responsive scene… the kflip suicide, less so, but it sure is fun. ch-check it out.

3 Likes

next up, dumptrucks! these are really strange stall based tricks; the yo-yo swings on a plane that’s not really touched too much in traditional 1A, so they’re a little tough at first, but i love 'em.

3 Likes

now we have something that everybody should do, somersaults! one of the most basic ways to build points in a freestyle, but beyond that, great for keeping momentum in your tricks, adding interest to slow sections of a combo, and also just fun to do. learn a few!

2 Likes

one of the most important lessons of all, the sidewinder! not only is a terrifying snake, but it’s an absolutely essential move with responsive play. lots of people think of this as just a utilitarian move when you wanna fix your string tension, but there are definitely fun & fancy things to be done.

1 Like

tough love regens. where do they come from? what do they want from us? we may never know, but we can definitely mix them into our stall combos to mix the flavor up. simply put, “tough love” is an umbrella term for catch-based interruptions/regens, and they can add a ton of versatility to your stall sequences.

1 Like

kickflip transitions are pretty advanced and still really difficult for me, but the idea of flipping the yo-yo through the air mid-stall is an intoxicating one. this one is pretty tech and best understood in slow motion, but if you want a challenge, it’s well worth a look.

2 Likes

if you’re looking for a unique style, you aren’t gonna find many things better than spencer “the wild man” berry. yes, walter’s papa can really shred the wood, and his carefree attitude is something that i wish everybody could absorb. learn to loop out of everything and don’t be afraid to hit yourself in the face every once in a while!

1 Like

on april 19, i didn’t have any theme at all, and the resulting cavalcade of tricks came to be known as “huh? wha?” check this one out for a variety of intermediate fixie concepts, including some slacks, whips, and one of my favorite string-based stall concepts, the bounce house.

3 Likes

speaking of whips, we got a whole column for that. a lot of these are pretty “new school”, but actually deceptively easy to learn, so i encourage everybody to try them at home! unresponsive and fixed axle don’t necessarily need to be opposing concepts

2 Likes

next, we have the battle that nearly cleaved the fixed axle world in twain… that’s right… the ed vs. drew creep-off!! the creeper is often considered a goofy trick only for demonstrators, but that could not be more wrong!.. well, okay, i guess it is kind of goofy. but whatever, the creeper is essentially walk the dog’s big brother, and walk the dog is the most famous yo-yo trick ever, so you really owe it to yourself to have at least one or two creeper variations in the pocket.

seeing as ed won, i’m sure he won’t mind my re-posting his video here.

2 Likes

moving away from the old school stuff, crisis has to be one of the most technical moves i’ve ever done ever. chopsticks stalls to dumptruck flips to weirdo holds—wha? jus’ check it out, and stay tuned 'til the end for some weird kendama-yoyo fusion.

1 Like

now, let’s step back and look at what i consider to be one of the most useful fixed axle mounts of all, the 1.5 stall. this move and its variations are some of my favorites ever, and i highly recommend learning both cross-armed 1.5 entrances… and the other stuff’s cool too i guess

1 Like

planet hop, shoot the moon’s gravity-friendly brother, is a classic trick. when you get really good at planet hop, perhaps it could be said that you are in fact performing planet rock. i am personally of the belief that you should end every trick with a loop out, and practicing planet hops is one of the best ways to get solid regenerations while learning about spin direction. so do it!

1 Like

if you learn a lot of fixed axle tricks, you might get labeled a weirdsmobile in the community. similarly, when your tricks in a video don’t have a theme, you might title it that. you should definitely learn makin’ da zines, though. that’s not even a question.

1 Like

here’s my warm-up for the fixed axle championship of all the world. mostly showoff type tricks, but hey, if you wanna learn straitjacket stalls then i’m stoked.

now that we’re all caught up, let’s rap! what have you been learning? what would you like to see next? who plays fixed axle, anyways?

1 Like

Hey Drew! Looking forward to seeing you around these parts. Thanks for cataloguing all of that.

I play some awful fixed axle. As I believe you’ve noticed over on Facebook, every time I pick up a fixed-axle throw I basically just practice kickflip suicides. :wink: Between that, the ubiquitous stall-peater, and old school tricks like standard UFOs and Sidewinders (not much for fancy modified ones yet!) I keep myself busy enough and enjoy it plenty. Working on some regens and am trying my darndest to Shoot the Moon. With no luck thus far; I can redirect the yoyo upwards but it’s so limp that the trick fizzles out there.

Got an Eh and a Butterfly along with a few other fixed axle throws, so I reckon I’ve got all the gear a guy could need. :wink:

I am also the grand champeen of YYE’s Fixed Axle February contest. HOWEVER-- it was not a skill contest; rather, a mini-documentary-making contest that could feature tricks. Here’s the entry:

Apparently this makes it mobile-friendly for those who like that sort of thing (disclaimer, I’ve never tried it):

http://www.mobileyt.com/65089431.php

I believe there will be another round of the contest in February again! Not sure if the rules of engagement will be the same, but certainly other fixed-axle enthusiasts will be taking part. :smiley:

2 Likes

I try to do fixed axle. I’m not very good. For your double sidewinder trick, how do you move your hand to the other side of the yoyo without it coming back up?

double sidewinder is a trick that’s been vexing people since the THP days, mostly due to the fact that it doesn’t have a lot in common with other tricks.

my best advice would be to get as comfortable as possible with sidewinders on both sides individually. it’s difficult to describe, because a lot of it is feeling, but there’s a way to do a sidewinder where you “pop” the yo-yo up and it feels as though it’s hanging in the air while you’re fixing the tension—i think part of the secret is a gentle throw and a heavy tug, but really you just gotta feel it. also, outside>inside is way easier than inside>outside for me, but once again just try it a bunch and figure out what works for you.

1 Like

I’ve gotten it once, starting with tightening then loosening. It’s hard.

1 Like