Young Entrepreneurs of YoyoExpert!

Yeah sure! There’s a couple craft stores near me, but most only sell the poor quality cord :D. I normally spend time on the internet looking for 'MURICAN QUALITY!!! And like you said, the messages, and people liking your stuff is super rewarding! And the music thing… Dead on. Super awesome just to have my head phones on without a care in the world :slight_smile:

27 words.
Duct tape wallets. Big money makers.

I WOULD go on the street and perfrom, but my family doesn’t really want me to.

…this from the guy who posted a really cool video throwing at burger joints and movie theaters.

Yup. I sell them at a store, and the profits pretty good.

Hey Banjo! Sup? long time no see.

Well, I mean like with a hat and for money XD

When I was in highschool, I used to actively compete in business competitions. I would place in states regularly, and I even made it to nationals once.

Entrepreneurship is a big deal to me, and every initiative I have placed to benefit my future has been based on that.

Hey back at cha Legyoyo! Yeah, I gotta wander back in here from time to time so y’all know I’m still drawin’ in oxygen.

1 Like

For a while, I was addicted to polishing yoyos. I would polish every yoyo I bought lol. For some reason, I just liked the feeling of polishing. Now, it feels more like a chore to me, but I still enjoy polishing some shapes, especially rounded shapes. The best part of polishing though? The results. There’s just something amazing about being able to see your face on a yoyo lol

Mr. YoyoGuy, enlighten me about your craft. I also saw various colored duct tape in the craft store. If you can post photos of your wallets, it would be cool to see. At work, I have to carry a card holder, with a work I.D. to buzz myself and in and out of the building. My current one is tattered. Perhaps I will invest in one of these wallets. No one else at work would have one haha.

That’s awesome SlimJoe. You might want to be on that show The Apprentice. You sound like you might win that show. Honestly, for me personally, I always wanted to make money to buy things I wanted for hobbies, but I think at a young age, a job was enough to pacify me. I never thought I could actually have my own business. I grew into that thought much later. I think your high school did a great thing. I wish mine had done the same.

So, in your efforts, what advice would you give to our young entrepreneurs in their various businesses?

I am very, very impressed with what you have been able to do YoyoSpirit. I can certainly see how polishing can be therapeutic…messy, but therapeutic. :smiley: I have a better appreciation of what you do after my attempt to polish the three raw throws I had. It turned out well, but was more work than I anticipated and I made more mess too. I think it takes practice to get as good as you have become. It really is an acquired “skill,” deserving of attention.
I currently have a transaction going with YoyoSpirit.

I have contacted BCMaddog about speckling my P.S.G. He is still sort of honing in on his craft, but I think he is channeling positive energy into his own enterprise. He is getting some good feedback so far. I’m going to send him a PSG, and maybe give him an old Butterfly to practice on.

I will update with photos of these men’s services. We’re all business in here. Time to drum some up. Maybe we can get the adults to reach in their wallets…if they don’t have a wallet, they can get a duct tape one in here. ;D

So how was the experience making your own yo-yo. Was it as fulfilling as you’d hoped? I bet it was a dream come true in a lot of ways. What did you learn from that experience. What are your future plans for the company?

I’m going to update my original post, with a list of all the services you guys offer, and links, if you have a page. That way, if people want to support young businesses, they can come in here and offer up their support. I will get that started now.

Start learning the facets of customer service and overall interaction with people. You never know who could help you in the long run. Networking is key.

This is exactly what I wanted to do as I stepped my game up… I have a full time job, but student loans are killer…

Do you make money consistently? Is it a big city with lots of foot traffic?

I live in a college town with a ped mall area with dozens of bars and hoping that would be a good place to try it out…

Sometimes I think the entrepreneurial spirit is dying… I was told the best way to be successful was go to college… They neglect to tell you how tough paying off a mountain of debt really is… I feel I missed my chance to be an entrepeneur or allow my yoyo skills to take off…

I won’t say going to college was a mistake, but I wish I had done it differently…

That post is “real” and in today’s economy, I can especially see why you feel that way. I had the “college experience” living on campus and all that, and nothing for me can replace that experience. People who experienced things I have not, such as the military, would likely say the same about that. I would not trade it for the world. I did not have much by way of loans for undergraduate, but I did have them from graduate school. It is tough in the beginning, not only because of the loans, but because it is a tough time in your life. You are independent at that point usually for the first time, paying your own bills, then on top of it, you have these student loans for something that does not seem to give any benefit financially. In my experience, the rewards of college usually come later as the years go on in the workforce. With college experience, you will find it easier to navigate positions, get promotions, or be called on as the leader to gain new experience. Also, that leads to more money in the long run. In the short run, the gains cannot really be seen, especially in today’s economy. I know…I was there, and I can remember.

There are many professions that people do quite well, despite not having gone to college. But, there is much greater competition for those jobs, for that reason. Everyone knows it, so everyone is trying to get them. The firefighter, police, hospitals, transportation department and such have often times, great pay and great benefits. People will take money from those jobs and run a side business too. They do quite well at it. I know nurses, with 2 year degrees (cheaper than a 4 year), making six figures in this part of the country. If I could give advice to a young person that I wish I had when I was 14/15 years old, would be to start thinking about what job you want as soon as possible, make it specific and go for it. What usually happens, I’ve noticed, is that even people who fail at what they wanted, still do quite well for some reason, and often in an unrelated field…but still well. The point is to channel energy toward a goal and not just kind of be undecided without a path. I have a friend who wanted to be a doctor…she’s a lawyer. I have a friend who went to school for computer programming, and she’s a nurse. So, you will fall into place, it just takes time as this is a tough time in life in general for you. I remember it. I didn’t get settled until my late twenties where I was happy with the way career was getting me what I wanted.

Now for my advice to those who do not want to go to college, or do not think it is for them would be this. Find a job that pays well, in the fire department, the police department, the hospitals, or even the transportation department in your area. I will tell you why.

Whether you are the doctor, the nurse, in housekeeping, dietary, a secretary or whatever in a hospital…the hospital is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Same for the police department, and fire department. Transportation only shuts down where I live for about 4 hours…so they are thrown in there too. A place that runs 24 hours a day, seven days a week, is very important, and it is necessary for positions to be covered. They have a lot of money and a nice budget. That means overtime and opportunities to work more to make more are better. This is relative to size and location of your city, but these jobs are usually on par with the standard of living in your area. A job in an office…they are open from 9 to 5 usually, so not as much opportunity on average. You can feel like you hit a glass ceiling in an office. Another thing about hospital, police, fire and transportation is that, with seniority, you choose your shift. You determine what works best for your family or your hobbies or whatever. With a place open 24 hours a day 7 days a week, they need at least 3 shifts covered…and somebody has to do them. If you prefer to work at night…work at night instead. More on this stuff later.

So, I think I communicate better, because of my college experience, and I have been able to earn more in the long run because of it, but it is not the only way, for those of you reading. I do still advise to go to college, if you can afford to, and if you can tolerate the academic process. For those who feel college is not for them, or too expensive right now, put in for the best job you can at any of those places I mentioned. It is okay for school to come later…but definitely try it before you count it out.

I wonder what others think.

Abby makes wire jewelry and sells it for money Abby males a lot of money at yard sales, booths for parent teacher conferences and other stuff. Abby doesn’t know why she’s referring to herself in the 3rd person. Abby is going to post pics of her wore jewelry later. Abby finds this half hobby and half money maker.

I don’t know how old you are, but it is never too late to be an entrepreneur. Depending on your business, you may be better off getting a job and working for someone else for a few years. Put in some time, become an expert in your field, and go out on your own.

I’m on my third career. I finished my graduate degree at 38, started it at 34. Worked for 5 years. Got good at what I did. Started a new business last year. Making a lot of money, and good progress. Hoping to have enough security established to quit the day job by the end of the year. Never too late.

Great point here. Remember, just because things don’t happen as you envisioned them, does not mean there isn’t something special meant for you down the line. Just when you think things are not going as planned, what seems like a miracle can happen. I felt the same as you, out of school making money that was… :-\ In a one year period, I more than doubled my salary moving to an unrelated field I never saw my self in. Strange things will probably happen to you too. When things do happen, you can take a little money and invest in your own business as Rob did, and not only have some extra money, but be proud of yourself that you did it on your own and it’s yours. Nice post Rob.