What trick did you land today?

Thanks, Dust! It did feel good. =]

The weight and balance of the purpleheart tama adds a lot of control/stability that is a great help at times. I was going to put a purple string on it, but I wanted to save that for my maple/spectra-ply stripe tama to match colors.

Congrats on around USA! Haven’t hit that one yet. I love the grind/reward rate of Kendama.

1-turn airplane to j stick to .5 lighthouse(missed the spike at the end :’() 1-turn lunar(also missed the spike😭) followed by a second try yank spike. Productive evening if I do say so myself.

Just hit a combo I’ve been aiming for: Pullup gunslinger to spike, to gunslinger, to earth turn gunslinger to spike.

wait. So you do a gunslinger with the tama spiked?

Yes sir.

siickk.

Hey guys! Someone gave me a damadare a week or so ago and have been so frustrated with this trick. But finally, it has been laced! And a bonus dubby for the win.

Amazing stuff, Heero!

thanks man! I’m still stoked on it.

So ive been drilling Around the USA and hit it every now and then. The other day I was working on it outside and I dropped my kendama on the asphalt big cup first. It roughed it up a little bit and I got to thinking… So i tried Lunar several times and then out of no where, IT STUCK!, like gravity got less for a second and the wood clung to itself for dear life. Anyway, It was surprizing and very elating. I went back to the the street and lightly tapped the base cup around on the street and now I can Lighthouse like its not on ice. Very nice. :slight_smile:

Your killin btw heero! good job!!

dude! That’s awesome!! Just needs a little wear and tear I’ve noticed. My hg is finally breaking in and it’s getting much easier to hit these balance tricks. And thanks man. I’ve been grinding this trick for the past week. Didn’t think I would get that double at the end though.

I haven’t tried a new basic trick in a while since I’ve been grinding a dama dare, so I decided to try my hand at whirlwinds. Landed one in 5 tries! And then couldn’t land another one for a while. Finally got a second whirl after who knows how many tries. But stoked none the less. Now to get it on film.

I hit UFO for the first time last night, and again this afternoon. Never expect it, then SCHLICK
/and-there-was-much-rejoycing

Nice! A lunar! Maybe I’ll go throw all my kendamas in the street now.

If it makes you feel any better, ive not hit it since. Gone back to around the usa drills till i can do it without breaking rythem(sp).

Just in case I made it sound like I was going to throw them in frustration, that is not at all what I meant. Kendama is not something that frustrates me because I don’t have any expectations. It’s just a fun grind. I’m just hoping that throwing my kendamas will ‘fix’ them so that I can land lunars too! :wink:

I have had more than a few skill toy hobbies and have learned to embrace the experience instead of trying to rush it. You only get to nail that trick for the first time once and it never feels the same again so I look forward to savoring those. I don’t really even practice lunars so its not like I’m even giving myself a chance. I just see it as one of those amazing tricks to aim for and don’t want to rush it.

^^Spoken from a true object manipulationist.
/nods in approval

1 Like

Met up with my good friend(who also brought me into the world of yoyo and kendama) that I don’t often see over the weekend. Had a good jam. Learned down spikes, cold pizza, got my ufos much more consistent, and a bunch of other techniques. It really helps when you have other jammers around.

Just landed pull up>big cup>bird>earth turn.

Edit
March 1st: decided to get into juggles a half hour ago. Landed a single jug to big cup to spike. Then after landed a couple single jugs to spike. Extremely hard but very fun.

Lookin’ good, Heero!

Since I last posted I’ve focused on juggles also. Plenty of single/double juggles to big cup to spike, but still hunting that juggle to spike.

I also have finally focused on lighthouse and have been getting pretty consistent with even my slickest of tamas. Have nailed some one turn/flip(?) lighthouses but don’t have a consistent flip yet. That will be my next focus.

Not that I’m too surprised, but my taste in what attributes I favor in a kendama has also been shifting as I learn more. I now grab those heavy kendamas less than before because the balance tricks are easier for me if the ken is lighter.