YYF Ricochet

Well, so far after a day of play I’m enjoying the Ricochet. Doesn’t feel heavy on the string, long spins. It took about an hour to get the nerve to walk the dog.
Sparks away! Maybe not as dramatic as I hoped. I don’t know how well other Ti throws spark. I like how the rims flare out so only the very edge contacts the ground. So after a bunch of drags the material really shows its strength. The scratches are there but not deep. Also the overall look of the yoyo stays perfect with so little scraping. This is my new pocket throw. Fits great and very comfy in the hand. We’ll see how it holds up with time. But so far I’m diggin’ it! My one question to Ben is what’s the best surface to get good sparks. You need a good hard throw for sparks.

Ben, I already mentioned this in an email to YYE but the extra bearing in mine somehow found itself into the same box compartment as the yoyo and caused a couple of scratches during shipping. Might want to look into securing the bearing in there or packing all the extra goodies into a small plastic bag or something.

Yuki

What did YYF do to maximize the properties afforded by titanium in the Ricochet? You say you made something a little vanilla so that it would appeal to everyone but at the same time what makes the Ricochet stand out as a titanium versus a standard aluminum YYF? For example here is another company’s titanium next to one of their aluminum yo-yos. The cut aways show how they drastically reduced the walls of the titanium maximizing the wieght in the rims.

Do you possibly have a factory reject half that you can cut in half and show us?

1 Like

might break a tooth that way XD

I’d like to see the same picture, with it being an undersized yoyo I doubt it has any extra thin walls, but I would like to see how thick the outer rim is with all of the long spin time talk.

I cleaned up the bickering. For this thread, please stick to this:

Couldn’t help myself and got a silver one as well. Checking in with silver #101.

Also, here’s a picture of blue/purple #90 being sparked up (already posted in the amateur photography thread but seemed appropriate to post here as well):

http://distilleryimage5.s3.amazonaws.com/3d55541293b711e29b0e22000a9f12cb_7.jpg

Yuki

Hey Ben you said you were trying to introduce people to titanium does that mean you will be working with it again in the future?

I really hope so. We didn’t push any envelopes with Ricochet. Its a very solid design, close to indestructible (first thing to break would be the axle which is a very easy to replace inexpensive part and to break it you would need, say a car). Its features are it is beautiful, exotic and throws sparks. It plays fantastic, but so does a dv888. Not trying to convince anyone their life will not be complete without it but I do hope that people can find room in their case for such a yoyo. If they do, we can look at making a bigger brother, which does push the boundaries.

$199 and a hacksaw you can take your own photos :smiley:

1 Like

Hacksaw would probably break before the yoyo was cut through.

I’m sure you have something in your shop that would do a cleaner job on a factory reject half. :wink:

Most hacksaws are designed to cut through metal.

Titanium is pretty darn tough. That is why I said they probably have something at the shop that could do a better job than a hack saw. Depending on various factors, the titanium yo-yo is going to be stronger than the steel blade of the hacksaw.

Yes, but hacksaw blades are hardened, yoyo’s are not. It is not that hard to cut titanium with a hacksaw, look it up.

What part of better is tripping you up? It is probably possible to cut through titanium with a hacksaw but it will look a heck of a lot cleaner, not to mention cost no customers their yoyo, if it is done on a bandsaw with a factory reject half. That is what other companies have done.

I have #217 Blue. Mine stays in the lovely case, no sparks :slight_smile: I got mine through Yoyofactory808, and have the pleasure of throwing with Alex and the rest of the great folks here in Hawaii.

We had to have the Sovereign cut by a company that has a water jet cutter. Needed big guns for this. Hacksaw is not going to do the job :slight_smile:

1 Like

Aloha Ben! Great meeting you at the YYF808 class yesterday… I was the guy with the plastic box full of yoyos asking you all the questions at the tail end of class. It was awesome to have you here-the kids were still talking about the long sleeper contestant at the end. Awaiting your return in September :slight_smile:

We at NSCO support anyone who turns Ti.

I personally threw a YYF team member’s Ricochet at NER. That blue is something else, wow. Nothing plays quite like a Ti yoyo too.

I really hope your next Ti yoyo is “cherry chunk rocky road”. It would be cool to see a C22 successor, something outrageous, no compromise maybe a little crazy. You know you want to Ben!

:wink:

Blue/Purple # 164.

One of the most beautiful yoyos I’ve ever thrown. Love the size and shape. It’s like the 44 perfected. Thanks, YYF.