Plateauing

Plateauing (v) - To reach a state of little or no change after a time of activity or progress.

We’ve all been there; you’re learning a bunch of new tricks and developing a bunch of cool combos when all of a sudden you just stop. Your technique feels stale and boring. You feel as though you don’t have as many tricks in your arsenal. You may even experience depression-like symptoms towards yoyoing.

For newer throwers, this can be a saddening thing. Afterall, seeing all these amazing players on the internet competing in contests with insane combos can make you feel a little inferior. Though there’s no logical reason for it to be true, it still happens.

I’m here to let you know that it will pass (probably, LOL). If you feel like you’re in a slump, try laying off the yoyo for a couple days, look up a few tutorials on Youtube (You don’t neccessarily have to learn a new trick. A new element can open many doors), or try something wacky and extreme [with a yoyo]. Or you could just do what I do and ignore it, knowing that eventually I’ll learn something new and continue my rise through yoyo skilldom.

Hope this helps someone in a similar situation as myself.

Remember to keep your stick on the ice and your throw off the ground :wink:

4 Likes

I hit that point several times, but things got better after I went to my first contest. After going to the AZ States in November, I’ve been in a trick making groove that hasn’t died yet.

I’ve learned to just tough out the plateauing period like you mentioned.

When I hit a wall I usually just do my usual combos, and try to add/change/remove something from each combo to make it look or flow better. I also like to work on different binds, and studying people’s videos for some ideas.

I’ve only been throwing for 5 weeks and I feel like I plateaued right after I got through my first dozen level 1 tricks. Maybe I just need a new throw to freshen things up ;D.

I’ve hit a few slumps. Just didn’t throw for a few days and felt the tricks start to spew out. Sometimes a break is needed.

Whenever this happens to me, I just buy a new yo-yo.

Works like a charm.

I’m usuall stagnant, but about once a month I’ll improve by leaps and bounds.

That’s about it for me too. ::slight_smile: I’ll sit among the random tricks I do know, but eventually things start clicking. Finally figured out kwijibo, just after chilling out for a while. Maybe I should just look at more tutorials…

Yup, in the past few days I’ve been able to do my technical tricks that were too hard for me to do quickly at Skin the Gerbil speed.