Touhou.

Those stacks of cranes look really cool. I counseled at a camp once that did that, where they had the kids folding cranes throughout the week to try to get to 1,000, and then at the end of the week they strung them up like that. Probably not as cool as seeing them in a Japanese shrine, but there is something about seeing so many of them stacked together that is pretty nice.

The games aren’t freeware, though the demos are available as legally free downloads if you want to try them out. I think the demos typically have the first three stages (out of six total, not counting the extra stage), and if I recall correctly some of them might have not have the final versions of all graphics/music tracks, but it is generally pretty close. There are links to the demos buried a ways back in this thread.

Actually, I should have mentioned Double Dealing Character as a recommendation just because it’s by far the easiest to legally buy since it’s available as a download purchase and doesn’t have to be physically ordered from Japan. There is also a new game scheduled for release later this month that might end up also being released as a download purchase eventually, but I haven’t heard anything specific about that. Some of the fan-games can also be found as digital download purchases on Japanese sites (I got the Desunoya games from a site called Melonbooks, for example).

1 Like