Inspirational Spin Top Videos

Oh yeah, here is a Jakub in his video entirely filled with upside down tricks. WAT

https://vimeo.com/album/1656099/video/27142428

This video requires no introduction.

Play with your rings!  The little white ring that comes with a Duncan Imperial is intended to be tied on one end of the string making it easier for beginners to wind up the top.  This can also be accomplished by tying a loop in the end of the string FYI.  Anyway, you can do tricks with that ring!  The Imperial ring will fit over most S8 crowns (not an accident) and Spintastics crowns.  They are too small for Bearing Kings, but every BK I mod gets trimmed down for the ring.  Anyway here is an example of the tricks you can do:

That was so cool how you effortlessly moved from that ring back to the string.

I’m so busy trying to improve my yoyo game I haven’t even touched any of my tops in months. I gotta make more yoyo headway right now.

I’ve been downloading every single video you’ve shared via this thread. I’ll be watching them and learning from them. All I can do right now is throw them down and get a bit of spin from them, which for now, is more than sufficient for me, but as most palyers go, I’m not satisfied .

More please!

By the way, seeing your top-down views of the regenerations really made the function of those make a lot of sense.

The overhead view is the way to go for spin top tuts :slight_smile:

Ladies and Gentlemen, once again; David Buhrmester!

David has tons of videos, check them all out. 
      David also captured this rare footage of Steve Brown in his natural habitat:

Steve Brown didn’t inspire me to spin tops, he told me to spin tops.  So I did.  For the record he told me to do other things that I did not do.  Yet.

[quote=“yophosis,post:30,topic:43766”]
if by “captured” you mean “downloaded off of a website before youtube was popular and then put it on youtube when i realized it wasn’t there already” then yes, that is what i did.

several years ago that video was more inspiring to me than probably any other pure-spintop video i’ve seen (aside from how to be a player volume 2), Mr. Brown shows what can be done, and how it’s done, and the regenerations with oversized tops in particular really helped me alot to fine tune what i’d learned from ta0’s website (ta0’s website www.ta0.com is the single greatest resource for topspinning i’ve had the pleasure of visiting on the internet, i remember the written explanations of the regeneration tricks made my life much happier).

[quote=“Daveid,post:31,topic:43766”]

That is exactly what I mean.  Exactly.

Who got you spinning tops?  For me it was Jon Gates.  When we were in Hawaii at THP camp, he showed me some tricks with a red Duncan Imperial spin top.  The tricks were cool, but what hooked me is he showed me how to balance one so it spins smoother.  Being able to tune the thing made me feel much more in control.  Jon Gates everybody:

And now for something completely different; LARGE TOP IN SLOW MO!!!

(this video loads slow for some reason, give it a minute and it will start)

Eric Wolff is like the Elrond of yo-yo’s and spin tops, and his mods liken that of the elves.

my roommate was really into yoyos, and there was this video that duncan put out called “how to be a player volume one” for yoyos and there was a volume two, which was for tops (i do believe that one’s linked in this thread), and he got that to, so i guess it was my roommate technically but really, it was Steve Brown and some skinny dude… oh wait, i mean… it was Mr. Brown, and YOU Mr. Neff.
;D

I am so blushing!

Sticking to the big tops theme for a moment, following is the largest boomerang-able top I’ve seen.  It was made by Alan Gray, the guy in the first video.  Alan is a master craftsman rivaled only by Eric Wolff (my opinion of course), also a very skilled player.

Second video is the owner of Fuego, Eric Girardi!

There are many inspirational spin top players, the trouble is finding them.  They lurk in dark basements and other undesirable places.  You have to wait for them to come out to some obscure juggling festival where they squint their eyes saying it’s to bright and their skin glows and stuff.  The next best thing is to find a video of them, which can sometimes be just as difficult, you have to search dark corners of the internet.  Our friend David Buhrmester was on such a quest, trying to find footage of Felix Avellana, member of Duncan Crew Worldwide and 2009 World Spin Top Contest Bearing Division 1st Place winner.  This evening I got a message from David, it went like this:
I FOUND IT I FOUNT IT I FOUND IT!!!

Warning:  also contains yo yo tricks, Steve Brown, and Patrick Mitchell  ;D

First trick here is BOSS.

Second one ain’t so bad either.  Snap start to a boatload of barrel rolls.  Boring for some, Everest for others.

That was Salvador de la Rosa.  This is Salvador Martinez:

This is on Jon Gates’ you tube channel, but I don’t think this is the original upload.  Anyway at the time Salvador Martinez was a street performer in Mexico.  Like seriously, in the STREET while the cars were stopped at a red light.  This guy has created many extremely difficult regeneration variations, and is now on the Cometa team touring in Europe.

I have not mastered this yet but it is not as hard as it looks:

LEARN IT!!!

Got it?  Good.  Now learn this one and teach it to me.

Brand New!  Check out this run from Tyler Young!!!

That is a solid 5" Watts top.  Easy to catch because of it’s size, fun to regenerate but does not hold spin long so you have to keep it moving pretty good.  It’s not light - using one of these will give you huge pectoral muscles (Renn voice)

1 Like

This video inspires me to clean up my basement. BUT it inspires you to acquire one of the finest spin tops in the world!!! The top in this video is the original S8 STB. It is smaller than the STB 2.0 but bigger than the Love. I’ve gotten better since this video was shot, but

Last year I visited Gustavo and Salvador in Mexico City.  This is the last on a series of videos I edited showing how amazing Gus is:

1 Like

Could one of you post a video showing a fixed tip vs. a bearing tip vs. a one-way bearing tip? I’ve always been curious about each styles tricks and whatnot.