Wood is Good

Btw this is what it looks like.
It was good and responsive when I first got it (just few hours ago). After playing with it a bit the axle got broken in and it starts becoming too unresponsive, also the wall is so slippy, and if I use double loop it won’t increase much response but that drains the spin time a lot. I know the gap is huge like 4mm but some of my other prototypes with 2mm gap also did basically the same thing.
I’m thinking about making U shaped groove (like 2mm groove on 4mm axle, instead of making the whole axle concaved), so that the string have something to grab on upon tugging, yet not enough to let unnecessary string bulking. But since I don’t own a lathe, this will be really difficult to explain to the woodworker.
I’m planning to make some proper version of these and sell… until I can buy my own cheap lathe, and then I can experiment a lot.

So I tried putting some lithium grease on the axle and God it plays a lot better!

More pic, wood prototype 1B.
I just realized that fixed axle play is really fun. I was too into modern yoyoing, trying to push my “tech” to the point it’s exhausting.
It feels really good to just lay back and see things in simpler way…

3 Likes

These are some nice looking yoyos. Hope to see more.

Welcome to the party :wink:

Second prototype using 3mm gap and concaved axle still unresponsive, 2mm next I guess? Making the axle 8mm diameter instead kills the spin time A LOT.

Mahogany version. 3mm gap still unresponsive, next will be 2mm.

1 Like

you will also probably want to use some kind of patterned response system. the negative-space dimples on tmbrs and the “crop circles” used by out work pretty well. not as much friction/wear as trad starbursts.

I still have no idea how to make that consistent on a one piece yoyo. I did make some by carving manually and it definitely adds grip, but still like completely unresponsive and I need to bind.

Can’t resist to post this here…

Final version, still has no name. This one has a lot nicer tug responsive for stalls and good weight for long sleeper.

I’m obsessed with Shoot the Moon right now, and I still need a yoyo that “holds my hand” for that trick. Looking for the ultimate hand-holding fixie for shooting the moon. :wink:

Has anybody tried using palm oil (here usually used for cooking) for wood finishing? I just want to get the color out of the raw wood, not necessarily added strength. I’m just concerned if it may cause rancid or things like that…

Coconut oil and beeswax :wink:

1 Like

jojoba oil also works well for this. I use it for some of my wood cooking utensils. Soaks in really well and has a very light scent. I definitely second the beeswax and carnauba wax is great if you want a hard sheen.

So as someone who’s first yoyo was a Smother’s Brothers YoYoMan Wooden yoyo in the late 80’s, and the majority of my collection is fixed axle, this thread was awesome. Took me a few days to get through it all.

Have a question though, does anyone know where you can get a spool of #10 cotton thread to make strings? Or which is the best? I’ve seen some they describe as 10/4 or 10/2 cotton thread.

Thanks!

Btw do you mean combining coconut oil and beeswax first then apply, or I can use either one just fine? Can beeswax be applied directly by rubbing on the surface?

I do not know for sure, but, you could try a place like JoAnn Fabrics.

You need to mix them together with heat as the beeswax will not mix or be applicable otherwise. Put them in an empty soup can, then put that container in a sauce pan with water turn up the heat. Stir and apply after cool enough (not too cool otherwise it will harden before you can apply it).

1 Like

http://shop.yoyoexpert.com/product/1108/O.U.T.-Wooden-Yo-Yo-Feed