BLTyoyoworks, 3rd run of prototypes finished!

I wouldn’t prototype now.

First calculate you mass of one half. Those are way to heavy and would be a waste to prototype. I recommend you take of a good portion of the weight.

Trust me, I have prototype yoyos before.

hard to say, but this is very true.
what program did you use?
i can help with 3D designing though.

keep in mind these were mostly for looks, just to see the shape. i have since modified a few of our favorites to be more producible. for these i was using blender, but i just got autocad and will be making them in that from now on.

try making the weight distributions more like this;

Contact Alvin Rollins his yoyo company is foxlandprecision yoyos and he also makes yoyos for tenyo! And I like the 9th prototype

1 Like

Can we have a few precise models?

I use to be on Foxland’s team haha. Alvin is a super friendly guy, given he had the time, I’m sure he wouldn’t mind whipping a few things up for you guys. However he’s been extremely busy lately so I wouldn’t contact him just yet.

I’d take some of the advice from the other forum members here and try to pick about 1-3 designs that you really like and focus on getting them to the prototype stage. Honestly, I’d only pick 1 or 2 as you don’t want to start off overwhelming yourself and putting out a sub-par product.

If you’d like, let me know when you guys think your ready and I’ll put in a good word for you with Alvin and the rest of my old crew over there. :wink:

1 Like

I didn’t know you were ever on foxland when? And who are you sponsered by now?

thanks :slight_smile: ill look into him if we don’t find help in our friends. yeah, we for sure won’t going to release all of these. they’re just ideas. we just got together and thought up as mangy ideas as we could, modeled them in blender, then posted them here so that we could see which ones you guys liked best, so we could know which one to manufacture. i think were going to start out with number 10, then 7 i think.

Sounds good. And I was on the team around Worlds 2010, though at the time I wasn’t comfortable with competing and felt I wasn’t good enough to represent the company to the fullest so I made the decision to leave. However the “team captain”, Zach Smith, is one of my best friends so all of us are still on great terms with each other and I still support them when I can. :wink:

Though I am not sponsored by anyone currently.

Just give me a shout when you guys got some solid designs down that you’d really like to have checked out and I’ll let Alvin know and see if we can get something going. Alvin can really use any software such as Autocad, Surfcam, Mastercam, Delcam. He always suggested to me to try out Surfcam and Delcam though Autocad is usually the most popular. You guys seem to have it handled though if you’ve gotten this far. :slight_smile:

yeah, i just got auto cad and I’m working on transferring the blender file ideas into autocad. and auto cad calculates volume, right?

Well for solid model, as you guys have, you can write:

“_massprop”

By doing that you obtain volume, mass, center gravity, inertial etc. And, optionally, you can also save result on text file. :wink:

okay, so i need a bit of help. i typed in massprop, then the little helper thing said “select objects”, so i box selected the yoyo. i pressed enter. it just canceled the selection and tool, rather than telling me the volume and stuff. i checked the command line, and the most recent entry said “no objects or regions selected”. what do i have to do instead of pressing return or enter?

Hm. Thats weird, usually the massprop command works just dandy for me.

Usually I use the MASSPROP command - it lists the volume (and other characteristics) of the selected 3D solids. Try selecting your model then using the command.

Or if your familiar, I’m not, I just found this on google, you can also use the following LISP routine:

(defun c:vol ()
(alert
(strcat “Volume is "
(rtos (/ (vlax-get-property
(vlax-ename->vla-object (car (entsel)))
'volume
)
1000000000.0 ;mm->m3
)
2 ;decimal places
)
" m3”
)
)
(princ)
)

okay, i got the command itself to work, but now it says “volume too small to calculate first and second moments” i tried scaling it up by 100 and stuff. the diameter is now like 2000 or something. still get the same thing.

Thats weird man, I dont know what to tell you. Wish I could help but thats about the extent of my knowledge on the matter.

thanks.

and everyone else, still give your opinions please :slight_smile:

Honestly if you use SolidWorks as your design program, it eliminates all of the guess work and will get everything right where it needs to be so you have a good shot of getting everything right on the first prototype or two. I design yo-yos for Spin Dynamics, and I do everything in SolidWorks. You’re able to select any type and grade of material, and the program will calculate the mass for you based on your sketching and selected material. I found that the program is less than a gram off in its calculation, that difference was probably my small error in some aspect. The weight it displays is the weight you can expect on your finished product

the problem is funds. right now were going to try to find somewhere to do it within our price range. if i bought solidworks, then we would probably not have any money to start out. the reason that I’m doing this in autocad it that for me (a student) its free. is their a way to get solidworks for free or at least really cheap? and thanks so much by the way. it means so much that i actually wrote out by t he way instead of BTW.

$500 is a REALLY REALLY GOOD DEAL for someone else to take your 3D models (which will need alot of work) and turn them into an actual working CAD design. Anyone who knows what they’re doing will charge you at least that much, and if you find someone who will do it cheaper, the product will almost certainly be sub par. I’m not trying to be a hater, thats just been my experience working with Yomerica Spindustries and Rec Rev, and now being one of the bosses here at Rebel

You’ve got a good start with those 3D models and you have a great eye for neat shapes so I hope you get to production, but remember there’s a reason that not everybody owns a company, great yo-yos are hard to make, and it’s expensive when your first starting out

Good luck,

Jamie “The Pants” Kennedy
Rebel Yo-Yos