Please Don't Do This

I mostly used small words.

Man, it’s so difficult to please some people!
(warning, above line was sarcasm. Disclaimer added to ensure clarity)

Other than God ,family ,and friends,yoyoing and juggling are very important to me in my life ,and I think anybody can yoyo as much as they want as long as they’re happy and it doesn’t cause too many problems between your family ,friends ,and health.

What is a wasted life?

Spending it in pool halls.

I have too much first hand witnessing of wasted lives.

Typically, it’s people deciding that getting high is more important than anything else and not giving a crap about who they have to hurt to get that fix.

But that’s just one of many examples.

But that’s way off topic.

One of the things I think Andre(the guy who runs this place) believes in is that the yoyo is not just a toy, but a tool with endless possibilities only limited by whatever restrictions you place upon it.

For me, the yoyo is a device that helps me relieve stress, regain focus and better use time that would be wasted doing something that isn’t going to do anything useful for me or others. Then again, having some “veg time” is nice too, but I can’t just sit on the couch all day watching the TV. I’m also using the yoyo to help get me into new markets for live sound EVEN if the money is might not be inline with what I should be getting.

I’d much rather play yoyo than video games these days, but you’d have to read about my anti-batteries in toys postings to understand that. I feel I’m improving myself by playing with the yoyo. All I get from video games is sore fingers and hands. I get that with the yoyo too, but I don’t get cramping!

A wasted life, is when you end up like so:

1 Like

Well, either you’re closing your eyes to a situation you do not wish to acknowledge or you are not aware of the caliber of disaster indicated by the presence of a pool table in your community. Ya got trouble, my friend, right here, I say, trouble right here in River City. Why sure I’m a billiard player, certainly mighty proud I say I’m always mighty proud to say it. I consider that the hours I spend with a cue in my hand are golden. Help you cultivate horse sense and a cool head and a keen eye. Never take and try to give an iron-clad leave to yourself from a three-rail billiard shot? But just as I say, it takes judgement, brains, and maturity to score in a balkline game, I say that any boob can take and shove a ball in a pocket. And they call that sloth. The first big step on the road to the depths of deg-ra-day—I say, first, medicinal wine from a teaspoon, then beer from a bottle. An’ the next thing ya know, your son is playin’ for money in a pinch-back suit. And list’nin to some big out-a-town Jasper hearin’ him tell about horse-race gamblin’. Not a wholesome trottin’ race, no! But a race where they set down right on the horse! Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin’ on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say. Friends, lemme tell you what I mean. Ya got one, two, three, four, five, six pockets in a table. Pockets that mark the difference between a gentlemen and a bum, with a capital “B” and that rhymes with “P” and that stands for pool! And all week long your River City youth’ll be fritterin’ away, I say your young men’ll be fritterin’! Fritterin’ away their noontime, suppertime, choretime too! Get the ball in the pocket, never mind gittin’ dandelions pulled or the screen door patched or the beefsteak pounded. Never mind pumpin’ any water ‘til your parents are caught with the cistern empty on a Saturday night and that’s trouble, oh, yes we got lots and lots a’ trouble. I’m thinkin’ of the kids in the knickerbockers, shirt-tail young ones, peekin’ in the pool hall window after school, look, folks! Right here in River City. Trouble with a capital “T” and that rhymes with “P” and that stands for pool! Now, I know all you folks are the right kinda parents. I’m gonna be perfectly frank. Would ya like to know what kinda conversation goes on while they’re loafin’ around that Hall? They’re tryin’ out Bevo, tryin’ out Cubebs, tryin’ out Tailor Mades like Cigarette Fiends! And braggin’ all about how they’re gonna cover up a tell-tale breath with Sen-Sen. One fine night, they leave the pool hall, headin’ for the dance at the Armory! Libertine men and Scarlet women! And Rag-time, shameless music that’ll grab your son and your daughter with the arms of a jungle animal instint! Mass-steria! Friends, the idle brain is the devil’s playground!

Mothers of River City! Heed the warning before it’s too late! Watch for the tell-tale sign of corruption! The moment your son leaves the house, does he rebuckle his knickerbockers below the knee? Is there a nicotine stain on his index finger? A dime novel hidden in the corn crib? Is he starting to memorize jokes from Capt. Billy’s Whiz Bang? Are certain words creeping into his conversation? Words like “swell” And “so’s your old man”? Well, if so my friends, ya got trouble, right here in River city! With a capital “T” and that rhymes with “P” and that stands for Pool. We’ve surely got trouble! Right here in River City! Remember the Maine, Plymouth Rock and the Golden Rule! Oh, we’ve got trouble. We’re in terrible, terrible trouble. That game with the fifteen numbered balls is a devil’s tool! Oh yes we got trouble, trouble, trouble! With a “T”! Gotta rhyme it with “P”! And that stands for Pool!!!

2 Likes

Don’t make billards your life either…

Yep, the grammar and punctuation police have to agree with this. Get the comma out of there and you’ve got yourself a sentence. With the comma, you’ve got two fragments, and that’s definitely plain wrong!

db

3 Likes

Yes that makes a BORING sentence though. SHort, no conjunction,no adverbs, and etc.

read my sig

there are two very clear sides to this argument… however, i would have to favor that yoyoing is a way of life, considering i wouldnt be who i am without it… ok so its not my all time number one, but is important to me and my life would be very different (maybe over) without yoyoing… scary but true

the original argument seems to be that a way of life need be one’s sole priority or pursuit.
in reality, a way of life is simply one path of many which leads a practitioner to a deeper, more meaningful life experience. i practice many arts which might be called ‘ways of life’, but they aren’t mutually exclusive. in fact, they inform and enrich each other. sometimes i draw comparisons between yo-yoing and playing music… or skateboarding… or budo… it’s all connected, and attempts to delineate it or categorize it are useless. one way of life, with which you come to terms through any number of arts & experiences.

there’s a great dickens quote - “he did each single thing as if he did nothing else.”
if that’s your attitude, then life itself becomes your way of life, and yo-yoing is just one facet which contributes to the whole.

Me thinks the better saying is “yoyoing is a kind of art.” or some other understanding. Why do I say art it’s a form of expression, but don’t get me wrong I don’t see it on the same scale as painting sculpting etc. I just see it as a form of interesting expression.

It is there life they can control it in a positive or negative way depending on the persons point of view.

Oh…just go throw or something. If it is your life, who cares? If it isn’t your life, who cares? Either way is fine with me. Some sponsored players make yoyoing the thing they do all day, it is what they like and it’s how they want it to be. Again, who cares.

You need a apostrphe in there lad

Luckily, people hardly ever actually mean what they say on a forum.

Yes your status was a big influence on this post.