YYJ Dark Magic (Version II) Review

The YoYoJam Dark Magic (Version II)
By: Brandoide1

http://img814.imageshack.us/img814/2623/photo08182041.jpg

Introduction:

Disney has Mickey Mouse, Ninendo has Mario, Warner Bros. has Bugs Bunny, and YoYoJam has the Dark Magic. This is yet another review on one of the most well known yoyos of this time: The Dark Magic (V2). As most of you probably know, this yoyo is the sequel of the very popular original Dark Magic yoyo and was designed by national yoyo master and world yoyo contest judge “André Boulay.” YoYoJam did a redesign on this yoyo to fit today’s yoyoing demands. The weight was reduced, the hybrid response became silicone O-rings, and instead of an adjustable gap, this yoyo comes with a narrow bearing for responsive play and a speed bearing for unresponsive play. This yoyo also has YoYoJam’s brilliant “solid spin axle system” for better stability, and smoother play. For only $40.80, you cant go wrong. The original classic has become a very stable, vibe-less, long spinning beast!

Specs:

Manufacturer: YoYoJam
Shape: Wing
Diameter: 2.21" (55.88mm)
Width: 1.63" (41.4mm)
Weight: 69g
Gap Type: Fixed
Response System: YoYoJam Silicone O-Ring

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/8192/photo08182042.jpg

Play:

If I could describe it in one word it would be “solid.” It is a very nice yoyo. I feel little to no vibe on this yoyo, and it is also remarkably stable. It also boasts very long spin times. This is one of my most long sleeping non-metals (it might even beat some of my metals)… This yoyo is also very easy to learn on. The fact that it comes with a narrow bearing, AND a speed bearing makes this even more so. This yoyo can last your entire yoyo career. It can take you from your first throws, to the most advanced string tricks. With a diameter of 2.21", this yoyo defines fullsized. This can make it difficult to navigate this yoyo through those tight spots, but easier for string catches and eli hops. The weight is, however much more comfortable than on the Version I. Many people took the caps off the Version I to reduce the weight, but this yoyo has a much better weight at 69g (You can further reduce the weight by taking the caps off. I think it is 1g per cap). The solid spin axle system was another great improvement. It made this yoyo much more stable and less vibey. Grinds are also very smooth. Thumb grinds on the other hand; I was a little disappointed. Here, I think YoYoJam took a step backward. The version I was MUCH better at thumb grinds than it’s sequel. It is difficult to land an IRG with this yoyo, but if you aren’t a big thumb grinder it isn’t much of a problem. It’s not impossible, but it is much more difficult to do on this yoyo than it was on the version I. Other than that, this is one of the most solid yoyos I’ve ever played.

Pros and Cons:

Pros:

• Spins long.
  • Very stable.
  • Easy to learn on/excellent beginner yoyo.
  • Affordable price ($40.80).
  • NO “YYJ Vibe”; one of the smoothest yoyos I’ve ever played.
  • Large diameter.
  • Heavy weight.

Cons:

• Thumb Grinds are difficult.
  • Not a good pocket yoyo.
  • A little unforgiving on bad throws.
  • A little bit noisy with the speed bearing installed.
  • Large diameter (This is in both because it can be good or bad depending on preference).
  • Heavy weight (again, this is in both because it depends on preference).

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/2293/photo08182043.jpg

Maintenance:

• Silicone replacement: You have two options: Buy flowable silicone and apply it youself, or buy the pre-made YYJ Silicone O-Rings.
  • Bearing(s): Just normal lubing and cleaning. I guess this applies to any modern ball bearing yoyo. For some pointers on cleaning a bearing look here.
  • Cap removal: Suction Cups. Just Pluck em’ off.

Comparisons:

Diameters:

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/1664/photo08182045.jpg
From Top Left: Dark Magic (V2), YYF Protostar, YYJ New Breed, YYJ Legacy, YYJ Hitman PRO.

Width:

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/9198/photo08182050.jpg
From Top Left: Dark Magic (V2), YYF Protostar, YYJ New Breed, YYJ Legacy, YYJ Hitman PRO.

Conclusion:

This is a very well put together yoyo. For the price, you can’t go wrong. This yoyo has long spin times, very little to no vibe, and is very stable; the “solid spin axle system” also helps with this. It is also very easy to learn on because it has a narrow bearing and a speed bearing. It can last your entire yoyo career. It’s big size can be annoying sometimes (at least for my style), but I think the long spin times and stability make up for it. Thumb grinds are tough, but regular grinds are very smooth and long. This yoyo is a classic that will never be forgotten. Well done YoYoJam!

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/6609/photo081820431.jpg

Great review! Thank you for this. I just got a Dark Magic II and really really liking it. It was a little awkward my first few throws, just not really used to it yet and wasn’t very smooth but after a few throws it settled in (Or more than likely, I settled in) and really enjoy the smoothness and the flow of it. I am not sure if this is a disagree or what, but I’m not that thrilled with the sleep time on this yoyo with the speed bearing. I wanted this one as an alternative to my YYF Protostar. Which was my first yoyo and I loved it but never tried anything other than a YYF yoyo and hear so much about the DMII that I had to get one. My protostar seems to have long sleep times and allows me to do more with it and more forgiving when I make a mistake. The DMII seems to die on me once I make a mistake and spins out more frequently than my protostar. Other than that, I absolutely love this yoyo and really really enjoyed your review.

Thanks! :slight_smile: But for the spin time issue, it might have something to do with the stock bearing… [for all my yoyos] I use a clean, lightly lubed bearing (about 1 pin-drop per month). I guess that’s my advice for that. Thanks again for the feedback.

Cool thanks I’ll have to try that. Do I need to clean the bearings out or just drop a pin drop in there once a month? Also what lube should I get?

I use YoYoJam Thin Lube. And a pin drop of that stuff per month should be fine (make sure you de-shield the bearing before you apply it (put the pin drop on one of the balls)). If you want to clean your bearing, afterwords put in about 1 or 2 drops of lube in the bearing, otherwise it will die on you really fast.

Ok thanks, is there a tutorial on this? I don’t want to be dumb and keep asking too many questions haha. So de-sheilding would be taking off the cap part to show the actual balls? Then put a pin drop on a ball?

I guess then I’m not understanding about the cleaning part. I would assume that those balls are the “bearings” so where would I put the 1 or 2 drops of lube if I wanted to “clean” it and how often should I do that. Most of my Yoyo’s i got at last year’s worlds so they are over a year old but I don’t throw them very much and they mostly sit even though I’m trying to get back into it again.

I use all of my bearings for 1a dry (no lube), and have not experienced any problems. I have used the same bearing since April.

Awesome review! One of the best I’ve seen in a long time. I completely agree with your views, but when it comes to sleep time, my DV888 beats it out. The Dark Magic II is definitely one of my favourite throws.

I love my Dark Magic 2 I havent had it a full year yet but I love it I have the black one with lime green string and it looks and feels amazing

I’ve had a dm 2 for about a week and i already love it. I used to throw a duncan flying squirrel and going from that to a dm 2 was a big improvement.ß

if your speed bearing is noisy clean it and use a thin lube to make it spin quietly because my DARK MAGIC II (my best yoyo) did that alot until i cleaned the bearing

Thanks for the advice, but this thread is a little old. For future reference, try not to pos in treads that are over 90 days old, thanks.

Do I make a great mod or what? :stuck_out_tongue: