Cubing Corner

Thanks! :+1:

Nice little setup. :smiley:

it’s actually a jb perm
R U R’ F’ R U R’ U’ R’ F R2 U’ R’

either one of those Gans an ultimate?

Other news I now have a 10.01 official single, somehow can’t get sub 10 in comp. however I did get a 12.02 one handed single officially which I am more than happy about.

Nope both air and I’m on the fence about a UM. :-\

I couldn’t resist a UM

I can solve a 3x3 in about 20 seconds, I can also solve a megaminx in like 50.

wat.
50 on mega is crazy fast

1 Like

I just dove into the deep end and got myself a Moyu 3x3.

Slowly I will be learning this beast. I find it endlessly fascinating.

The list of algorithms to memorize is overwhelming. I assume that i should just start by learning to do the first 2 layers about 1000 times. But wow. The number of permutations on that last layer is huge.

I suggest you learn the intuitive f2l method right out the gate. It’s so much better because then you don’t have to learn it later when you want to get faster. As for the algorithms, on rubicks website they have step by step instructions on how to solve the whole cube but ignore all of them except for the last couple steps. On the last couple ones they list all the algorithms you need for the last layer. What I did is just took screenshots of the algorithm pages and used them until I could remember them. I think there is like a total of 5 that you have to use in order to solve it. of course that’s not going to be as fast as remembering all 50 different algorithms but it is still pretty fast, say 40-50 seconds and then you can add to those 5 or so as you get better and faster. Just look up rubicks cube f2l tutorial. There is a bunch of really good YouTube videos on it and it is actually really easy once you understand it a little bit. Hope this helps​:+1::grin:. Sorry if any of this makes no sense. Lol. If you have any questions about what I said just ask and I’ll be happy to help. I can also post some links if you can’t find the videos or algorithm sheet thingys.

1 Like

It makes a lot of sense actually. Right now I’m just solving the first cross over and over until it becomes obvious to me.then I’m adding in the 1st layer corners. I have 2 of the 3 2nd layer formulas mostly memorized, but that last layer looks overwhelming. I’ll use your suggestions to see if I can memorize just those 5 algorithms first. Thanks for the tip.

Yep no problem :blush:. I don’t remember how many exactly, 5 is just an estimate lol. If I think about it I only us about 4 different algorithms for the orientation and permeation both, so 4 for the entire top layer. But I don’t remember exactly. Lol

I’m tempted to do a series of videos on my newbie’s progression. ;D

I also found a great set of 2 videos for the Cross and F2L by haribo41296 where he actually removed all the stickers from his cube except for the cross. In the 2nd video the top layer stickers were removed so you can more clearly see the logic behind the algorithms which solve the corner and edges at the same time. (BTW, he left all the center cube stickers so you can see the orientation of the cube)

I think I may buy a couple more cubes and remove those labels to build a pair of cross and F2L practice cubes just to focus on those moves and to understand them more clearly.

I just got a delivery of a new Moyu 2x2 (much smoother than my Rubiks brand 2x2) and the book “Speed solving the cube”. The progression of 3x3 methods in the book matches just what you suggested.

Quick question: since it seems that nobody uses Rubiks brand 3x3s what do you call your cube since it’s not actually a Rubiks cube? There must be a better name than “3×3 cubical puzzle” :laughing:

As of yesterday I’ve memorized enough algorithms to solve via the beginner method. My personal best so far was 1min 22sec which really surprised me. More commonly I’m solving in around 2 minutes.

It’s a start

1 Like

Heck yeah that’s a start! Really glad to see you are enjoying it and progressing. Nice :+1:. Also for your other question about what I call it, I usually just call it a rubicks cube even though it’s not technically. Kinda like Windex when someone is talking about window cleaner even though it’s might not technically be windex. But I suppose the proper name would be speed cube? I don’t really know. Lol.

As I learn this skill I found myself amazed yesterday when I realized that even though my solve times are between 2 and 4 minutes, I’ve completely lost the “fear” of the cube. It’s no longer a case of “How can anyone solve this?” It’s now “Oh rats, I messed up my last layer, now I have to fix that.”

I would not have thought that I could go from confusion to confidence (even at this low level) in a week.

Also, I got a 1:44 this morning. Followed by a 2:06 followed by a 4:07 (oops)

Yo, I can solve but my record is pretty bad at two minuets

So far : 57 solves with an average of 2:28

I think sub 1:30 is only about 400 or 500 solves away ;D

My algorithm memorization is getting more solid but I’m messing up my finger motions and locking the cube. My cube is a pretty good one (I’m using a MoFang JiaoShi MF3RS which is easily good enough for a beginner) so it’s not the cube’s fault. My twist aren’t very accurate yet. Also, I’m fumbling a lot with my front face moves such as when I move a top center edge to left center: U’ L’ U L F’ L F L’ I think I just need to sit and practice front and side face finger tricks.