I started out by asking lots questions and got mixed answers on the matter. I asked if the newer Duncan Freehand 2 can be Siliconed without Recessing it on a count the newer ones come recessed some what. They even have three little concave circles in the recessed area (a Lil extra grab) or do I have to recess it a Lil more. I got all kinds of answers, yes, no, maybe, or (a modder said)I wouldn't even do it myself use a sili sticker. So me being stubborn, I went to the hardware store and bought Blue RTV Gasket Making Silicone.
1) I then removed the friction stickers from the Freehand 2 and removed the silicone stickers from the Duncan Metal Drifter
2) I proceeded to Then Silicone them both as per the video in the forum. I did the beading part all the way around the Recessed area on both of them
3) Then I took an Old Gift Card and Started to remove the excess silicone at the same filling the recessed area and smoothing it and making it flush with the edge of the recessed area making sure as not to get any in the spacer seats(no big deal, u can clean it out)
4) Took an Old Rag or Paper Towel and cleaned up the left over silicone. I then aloud it to dry and cure over night
After siliconing both Yo-Yos I then decided what else better to then to do a Bearing Cleaning to make the sili job worth all the effort.
1) I Removed the Shields from both Bearings
2) Then in a Old Small Testor Paint Jar(cleaned out of all paint) I placed both bearings in with some lighter fluid, replaced cap and swished it around for a Lil bit to get all the grime and gunk out
3) Removed the bearings and placed on a napkin (napkins suck up all the excess lighter fluid and drys quick, then u can flush it for EZ dispose and it's safe that way)
4) I then placed one of the bearings on the click button part of a clicking pen so I can spin it to get all the excess lighter fluid out (Lighter Fluid usually drys and vaporizes rather quickly, I just like to be a Lil more cautious)
5) Then I take a Needle and dip it into the lube so when I pull it out it has a Lil bead of lube on the end of the needle and place the bead of lube on one of the balls in the bearing (depending on Type of Lube, Bearing, and How Responsive or Unresponsive U want it) all this being done well bearing is still on the clicking part of pen so I can give a cpl spins after a drop or 2 of Lube to spread it evenly
through out the inside of the bearing
6) I left the shields off this time and Replaced the Bearings in my Yo-Yos and Threw um till my arm got sore, lol. I've thrown Both of them for a 3 weeks now and I have to say... I'm Pretty Happy with the way they turned out in the beginning they where kinda Responsive but Smoothed out and is now Unresponsive and Plays Nice But, I Guess Everyone has they're own Opinion. I just wanted to post my lil mod that I did
,lol. I'm still new to this whole Mod thing as well as all these Metal Throws and Grooved Bearings. I just RE-started Yo-Yoing like 6 months ago and in doing so I stumbled across a whole new world of yo-yoing(Internet Searching). I used to Thrown back in Middle School When Yomega Had it's Big Boom. I had all kinds of Yomegas, Umm... Raider, a Fireball, Brain, and I had Silver Bullet which I thick was a Tom Kuhn. I used to Yo all the time got good with the Basics and some of the Intermediate stuff. I moved after Middle School and lost my Yo-Yos in the move so I kinda moved on after all I was just Starting High School and I got into Sports. I do regret it I forgot how fun Yoing was and now learning all these new Tricks and Styles. We never had Off String Back then and am enjoying learning.
Well in Writing this lil Post in the Hopes that maybe someone that has had the same Questions I did and didn't get the Answer you where looking for that this Helps Them.... Maybe even Sticky this post to help others. Here are some Pics of before and after....
*Well, I Believe after a month (5 wks) My Metal Drifter has finally needed to be Re-Sili. Wasn't terribly bad had maybe 2 little piece's of the metal showing through the sili, it still worked pretty good, But being in which I use it as my main Throw for now I thought it be best newly sili for better play. But being new to this whole mod and maintenance thing I was wondering. Is 4-5 wks a good amount of time for sili to last on an Unmodded (not recessed) Metal Drifter that is used as a main throw? *