Top size questions?

I’m going to assume that this will fall into the same category as yoyo’s that its a preference thing but does it matter how large or small your top is? I just got my RipCord and I wasn’t expecting it to be as beefy as it is. Is this a normal size for a top or are there some that are a little smaller in size?

Every time you step up in size it will feel kinda big and cumbersome, but as you get used to it, the smaller tops will feel kinda dinky. The Duncan Imperial and Spintastic’s sidewinder / gladiator / blizzard are a similar size, about 2" in diameter - any smaller than that and it becomes more difficult to use, unless is is heavily weighted. The Rip Cord felt big to me when I first got it too, and now it feels a little small to me - the Trompo Grande and the Giulia are about a 2.5" diameter and they feel more natural to me now. Since I started making tops, I’ve made everywhere from 2" to 6", and as long as the small tops are weighted and the big tops are light, any top will do ;D

Generally bigger the better though for crowd-pleasing.

there is no “normal” top… they all have their own size…

As neff say, first when you play a top they feel too big, after a few boomerang and catch they feel too small :smiley:

I’m so used to throwing around 52mm-54mm yoyos it just feels so odd to me but I’m enjoying myself so I guess that’s all that matters. I can’t wait to get home from work so I can throw my RipCord :smiley:

Ok, this is also a little off topic but do they make metal tips for the RipCord?