Trompo Bearing Top Problems

I just got a Trompo bearing top from a toy shop. Whenever I throw it, it falls apart into 3 pieces, the top, body, and weight ring. Also, the bearing has a good amount of dirt in it and the tip doesn’t spin on a flick, so I was thinking I should clean the bearing. But, I didn’t know how to get it out. I tried just pulling it out, pliers, and twisting/wiggling it out. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks. :slight_smile:

most people wrap a piece of tape around the top where the halves meet so the cap wont come off like that. you can use electicians tape. there is a good maint. vid on youtube,

and you will find others like it if you search around. usually you can clean the bearing without removing it, although most cleaning of a new bearing is more to get the lube out than dirt.
it takes a while to figure out the best way to set your top up for play, but it’s worth it after you get it going.

1 Like

I had this mostly typed then Kevin posted, but I’ll leave it as is…

Sounds like somebody took off the electrical tape that holds the cap on the body and didn’t put it back. Get some electrical tape, any kind will do, just don’t use scotch tape or duct tape or I will laugh at you :wink: Wrap the tape so the seam is going with the flow - if you throw right handed, hold the end of the tape under your left thumb with the point of the top pointing away from you, wraping the tape to the right. Wrap it twice and cut at the same spot where it begins to have minimal effect on balance. Don’t pull to tight, the tape will stretch back - only pull hard enough for the tape to lie flat on the surface with no ruffles.

To get the tip out of a Trompo Bearing you have to remove a tiny o-ring off the top of the tip’s post from the inside, easier said than done sometimes. I use a dental tool with a pointy hook, and I grumble a bit when I do it… seems to help. Some people leave the tip on and just soak the bottom of the top in mineral spirits.

1 Like

Any tape is working good…

it’s doing the same on quite all tops…

wish you good luck in learning :wink: