What is spin top string made out of?

Okay, this is sort of dumb, but bear with me. I bought a Bearing King off the BST a little bit ago, but the terms of the sale didn’t include any string. This didn’t seem like too big a deal at the time, cause I figured I could just use yoyo string as a proxy, but so far I haven’t had a bit of luck in this effort. In fact, I haven’t even managed to get the thing to spin at all.

I’ve got a ton of different kinds of yoyo string at my disposal (every conceivable mix of nylon, poly, cotton, even kevlar), and also a spool of diabolo string on standby. But, being an absolute beginner at spin tops, I don’t have the slightest idea if trying any of these would be a waste of time or not. Obviously I plan on buying some proper spin top string when I can, but is there any other type of string I might be able to make do with in the meantime?

héhé as everybody, i ll say, the player choose what he prefer… :smiley:

You can take time and build them yourself, or easier You can buy string at the market to make your clothes dry :smiley: just have to get the good twist :smiley: they re something like 3mm diameters…

Ask NEff he is good for that. He ll tell you better than me

1 Like

Here’s how to make your own string:

Spin top string is generally twice as thick and twice as long as yo-yo string.  You can find descent rolls of string at hardware stores, even grocery stores sometimes.  Cotton is the best.  An important difference between yo-yo string and spin top string is that the proper length of string is determined by the size and weight of the top and the thickness of the string, and NOT the player’s height.  The string that comes with Bearing Kings is often too short.  It should be at least 64" long, some people even use 72" inch long string, but that is too long IMO.

1 Like

Try an ACE Hardware store.
Buy a ball of Multi-purpose twine, Twisted cotton #24 and give that a try for the BK.
I use 66" length.

2 Likes

Welcome Larry, and thanks for the succinct advice!

1 Like

Thanks, always glad to be in good company! ;D

Thanks, gentlemen! I’m a bit too lazy to attempt making my own string, but that video will surely come in handy if I end up truly “getting into” tops. That black/white/yellow is a beautiful combo, and it’s interesting that you include bamboo fiber (I wonder if that would be any good for yoyo string?). I think I’ll take Larry’s advice and get some twine, and see what I can do with that. Thanks again.

I use extra long string yoyo string

Interesting. How long, exactly? With what top?

Isn’t it too thin for tops? oO

Other than making it yourself, where is a good place (or website) to pick some up? I think I might be getting my first top at some point this coming week and I know I’ll need string soon too.

XminusmikeX,

Ace is a good source as I mentioned above.
The # 18 would be good for an S8 top.
T.W. Evans is another source:
http://twevans.com/products.asp?cat=37
I seem to recall another spinner using their #60 and possibly #72.

AWESOME! Thanks!!! I’m going to the local craft store on my lunch for some other supplies, I’ll keep and eye out for something along the lines of this.

Spintastics sells some really great string also. Word on the street is YYE is going to start selling some soon…

That makes me happy!!! I like staying as true to this site as possible, plus I just ordered a Rip Cord so I know I’ll need string soon.

By the way, you can wash top string. Throw it in with your whites in a sock, and hang it on something to dry. You don’t want fabric softener to get any where near it so watch out for that.

Ok, in your video you fold the string in tirds. I live in a small place and really don’t have the room to have 20some feet of tread to be able to fold it in thirds. Is there a way to make it by just folding it in half?

There is a guy that used to post on iTopSpin who made “2-twist” top string, like yo-yo string. I tried it a few times, but IMHO, 2-twist string is too bumpy when the top is gliding across the string. Another guy that I know that is making 3-twist string found two doors in his apartment that barely line up across a hallway, so he uses three rooms of his house to make string :slight_smile:

I just made a 2-twist string today and it works ok (I spun it real tight) but I know what you are saying with it being too bumpy. I’m going to see if I can figure something out to be able to get 3 twists, but for now the 2 twist works.