Introduce Yourself!

Hello everyone. My name is Masaya. I live in Japan.
I would like to communicate with foreign players. Please be get along :wink: Thanks. DUNCAN = LOVE.

Favorite brand: DUNCAN, onedrop, Yoyo Studio Llama, and more.
Favorite yo-yo: FREEHAND series, WHEELS, CLESSIAH
Signature model: KARPEDIEM (from Yoyo Studio Llama)
Contest Title: 2005 East Japan 3A Champion.
Hobbies: Musical Instruments, making wooden yo-yo, photography
Instagram account: https://instagram.com/masaya.karpediem/
Blog: http://yoyohasnoborder.blogspot.jp/

Welcome to the forums Masaya! It’s awesome to have such a skilled 3A player join us on here. :slight_smile:

A 3A champ, well done and welcome!

Welcome to the forums. I just started yoyoing about 2 months ago. Look forward to communicating with you and learning from you if you ever have anything to teach.

My name is Derrick Vigil and I’m a yoyo addict :slight_smile:
The first time I played with a yoyo was around 92ish
It was a yomega brain I believe . During this time I
Was able to perform many of the basics and I felt
Pretty good about it . Then , I just stopped .
Fast forward to February 2015 I found some
Yoyo factory videos on you tube and was blown
Away by the maneuvers These people were performing.
Strait away I placed an order for a yoyo factory one with
The extra spec bearing for unresponsive play .
Since that time I have aquired roughly 40 yoyo’s mainly
Older yoyo factory since I’m old. Lol and some CLYW
Lucky for me yoyo is like a bicycle you never seem to forget
The basics . Now I’m well on my way into unresponsive play
And hope to progress daily . This is one of the coolest activities
I’ve put myself into and hope to see growth throughout the
Community. hope to hear from anyone who like to B/S about
Hope you all have great success with whatever it is you do.

Your not old, your are just getting started! Welcome and have fun.

Name: Amaryllis
Nickname: Maryll
Almost 27 years
province of Newfoundland in Canada

Skill Level: ZILCH -still learning.
Favorite Player: Jensen Kimmitt!!! Charles Haycock!

Playing Style: 1A (learning)
The boyfriend has been at it a while and now I am picking it up.

nice to meet ya! Hope you keep yoyoing and if you have any questions the forums are a great place to ask for help!

ZILCH is a good place to start. WELCOME and have fun.

“Old” man yoyo solidarity fist bump!

Hey I’m Ricardo, I’ve been Yoyoing for about 2 1/2 years. My favorite throw is the onedrop benchmark v 2013 version. I’ve been having trouble finding a yoyo club in central Florida, I know of the Orlando yoyo club but it’s a little too far away. I’m also planning on competing in the Florida state yoyo competition next year. But anyways I’m new to the forum Community so Hi ;D

Welcome Ricardo.

If you want you can head on over to the Contest clubs and events parot of the forum and see if you can find a club in Florida there

Hello, Call me Tintin and I started yo-yoing about 1 year ago

Welcome to the YoYoExpert forums, you’ll find alot of friendly and knowledgeable people here. I’ve been yoyoing for 3 months now. And this site and forum has and continues to teach me alot. Well, welcome and I lol forward to getting to know you.

A de-lurk, intro, and a brief story of how I find myself digging through this forum and shop far too late into the night.

I’ve been yoyoing for just short of 30 years I think, and maybe 8 years ago some kid at work has this awesome yoyo, and he’s like the 2nd person I’ve ever met in person who is better than me with a yoyo. (I’m not awesome, at all, but all you ever meet ((if you never go to yoyo events)) are people who maybe have thrown one once, so its rare that I ever just coincidentally run into anyone that has spent any time with them. I’ve always been that weirdo in any random sample ). Anyway, I’m totally psyched to watch him play, and love this orange and red yoyo he’s got. He tells me the name (Hspin), I go buy one. He sees me a few days after I get it and asks me how I like it, I say it spins like a madman, but I can’t finish any tricks with it (you know where this is going). He says “OH! Do you know what a non-responsive yoyo is?, sorry, I should have told you about that!” Needless to say I did not know anything about the non responsive revolution. So, he shows me a bind, and explains why its needed, and I think that sounds like a huge pain in the neck to have to do that every time I finish a trick, and so I put the yoyo in my collection bag, and happily go back to my comfortable world that consists mostly of Zombies, Axls, DragonJams, and Tom Kuhns.

Fast forward about 10 years, during which I’ve hardly played at all. Maybe ~5 times a year if the yoyo thats always sitting on my desk catches my eye. I’m in Camden Market on holiday about a month ago and I see a juggling/toy shop. I stop in, he has a pile of yoyos on the counter. I zero in on the only nice looking metal one, and ask if I can throw it. It zings around, I land a handful of little double front mounts and … whatever it is called when you come back around and do the same thing on the otherside of the string. Comes back to my hand spinning fast. I look at the side: Duncan Drifter. Duncan? Seriously? Last time I threw a Duncan, it was a Professional, and I never picked that up again once I discovered Hummingbirds, the No-Jive, and the original Silver Bullet that I saved up and sent away to SanFrancisco for in about 1990. A ball bearing aluminum butterfly that I can do that many tricks on when I’m rusty as heck, all for only 15 quid? I was surprised and impressed. Sold!

Anyway, so now I’m back at it. This Drifter has totally re-kindled my love of yoyos, and I’m already learning new tricks. The videos available today are insane! The last time I leveled up it was because of the Yonomicon, maybe 15 years ago? At least. But I’ve learned like 5 tricks in a week, and am now shopping around to see what else has changed in the years since I stopped paying attention. Answer: A lot has changed!

So I remember the Pyro I bought years ago, and pull it out, read up on binds, got those nailed down, and have been playing with it for about a week, and honestly… I just don’t like it. Maybe I’m just not good enough? Or maybe its just not for me, but it feels . . . . slow. Like a lumbering hulk compared to the zipping speed of the Drifter, which I have no trouble whipping around and getting 6,7,8 string hits in one throw. Maybe I just don’t have the right throw snap technique for the Pyro or something, I dunno. I just feel clumsy with it. So far the only thing I can do better with the Pyro over the Drifter is a cross arm trapeze -1/2 the time I land it with the Drifter it climbs to my throw hand, but I think thats because I’m not giving the trapeze enough slack, at least in part. Maybe the extra weight of the Pyro is helping it settle, or forcing my to give it more of a cradle. Or more its just a better spinner. :slight_smile:

I’ll play with it for another week or so, and it doesn’t start lighting my fire and feeling comfortable, I’ll list it in the forsale section in case anyone’s interested. That money should probably be spent on a yoyo I enjoy playing with, I reckon.

Anyway, I’ve been looking around the YYX shop, and its INSANE how many nice yoyos are out there now, so I figure maybe I should shop around for something else. I know its a bit collectible, or at least had a really strong following when it was new, so there is part of me that almost wants to keep it, but why keep something in your collection just because its collectible, if you don’t like it for what it DOES? So I think I’m going to look for some other good playing nonresponsive metal beast, and maybe send this off to someone who will appreciate it for what it is. So far, I’m liking the looks and reviews I’ve read for things like OneDrops, Tactic, Quark, and the DV888. Might have to pick up a Maverick too, just because they look fun and super cheap. So many choices!?!?

I did just order another Drifter, and a kit to make it unresponsive. I figure since I already know I like the feel and shape, and am familiar with the response as far as weight and speed goes, maybe thats a good way forward to get really comfortable with unresponsive action. And if not, at least I’ll have a spare drifter in the kick ass purple version that they didn’t have on offer when I bought my orange one on vacation. :wink:

So, anyway. Long rambling story, the gist of which is: Its nice to remember why I like yoyos, and its kind of overwhelming to see how serious and advanced both the play and the technology has become. I don’t know if I’ll ever learn anything super technical, but I’m pretty excited to have a lot more opportunity and resources to learn from, and available gear thats up to the task. Its pretty cool to find a forum full of nerds far more into and knowledgable about something than I am for a change. I’ve got plenty of room to learn. :wink:

After all that all I can say is welcome back and just have fun.

i’m back after a maybe… 5-ish year hiatus. Not really sure, all i do know is that my first metal was one of the spiral G5s. Had a buncha hobbies since, and then a dug addiction that i pretended i didn’t have by telling myself it was okay because i still had my GPA, and now rehab.

posted a lot on theyo and YYN, cool to see a lot of the guys from back there over here now.

Probably gonna be getting some more into things again during rehab so thought i’d make an account and say hey

Hello My name is Andrew. I used to play with yoyos as a kid back in the late 80s early 90s, and just recently my brother came home with a couple of yoyos and i started playing again. We looked online and found how advanced yoyos have become, with bearings and made of metal and of course the unresponsive play. I thought it was interesting and bought a few. Now I cant seem to put them down. I’ve been mainly learning trick from Andre’s vids on expert village and came across this website. I had no idea there even was a yoyo communtiy. i think this is awesome.

1 Like

Welcome to the ever growing community that is yoyoing. You’ve come to a real good site. This forum is filled with lots of talented players. And Andres videos are really good way of progressing. Again, welcome. I look forward to getting to know you. My name is Colby and I have been yoyoing for 3 months now. And everyone here is awesome and friendly.

Isn’t amazing how may full grown adults are on the Forum. Welcome Andrew.