Introduce Yourself!

Hi everyone,

Want to introduce myself. My name is Alex and I had been out of the game for about 8-9 years until my good friend Jeff Coons asked me to help judge the UT state yo-yo contest in 2014 and I judged in 2015 as well. I was previously sponsored by ExtremeSpin.com and won a number of contests (mostly in the Midwest, state level - I could never do well at Nationals or MWR), typically in the offstring divisions. I have brief video parts in Save Deth vol. I and II, if anyone remembers those DVDs or still has them. Anyone around from that era? I attended the IL state yo-yo contest this past week and realized how old I am, hahaha. Currently based in the Chicago area and hoping to get back into things a bit more!

I’m a former member of yoyoexpert, but have been inactive on my old account for over a year! I’m ready to come back into the game, but with a different objective. I still love throwing, but I’d like to start manufacturing. I’d like a few pointers as to how I can begin this. I have money put away for this, so I’m not afraid of prices. I’d just like to receive some ideas from this community. Pricing? What’s hot? Is it even recommended? Anything helps

Most people are going to tell you probably not to do it. If you have the money and really want to, then it’s really up to you to jump on in!

Check out YouTube on designing yoyos. There is one guy that has a 3 part series that is really good.

Pricing is all over the board.

Edit: the name is Zach The Sloth on YouTube. I would recommend just typing in how to design a yoyo.

Welcome back… But I have a constructive suggestion…

I think to be different is to be exceptional.

To be different is to be an individual.

To be distinctive is to be admired.

So if you really want to do something amazing; I would suggest ‘Not making yoyos’.

Then you can say 'Hey; I’m the only one in the Entire yoyo community that ‘Isnt’ making yoyos.

Ain’t I cool. :nerd_face::ok_hand::nerd_face:

The most Optomistic thing I can share with you from being around non stop for the last 18 years; is that your chances of being successful are Extremely thin.

Its possible to make some headway if you ultimate goal is to just have fun and possibly break even.

But to come out of left field and want to make yoyos and asking questions about how to go about it?

Your chances are so close to zero; that if they were any closer to zero; you would be directly centered over zero.

Sorry about the positive pep talk…

I wouldnt kid you. :thinking:

1 Like

I can attest to this being a co owner of the small company TropicSpins. We have been in the game for almost 2 and a half years now as a company, and it is true. We have a lot of fun, we make yoyos, but 90% of the time we break even and spend that on something newer and something better. Now that was 2 years ago, which might not seem that long, but many new companies are trying and are popping up, making it a lot harder these days. If you want to make yoyos, go for it, but you have to do it the right way (having a business plan and everything ready to go before launching) if you want to break the ice. Aside from that, having a good yoyo (not necessarily unique) is an important aspect as well.

Just my advice after breaking near even for the past 2 years :wink:

Hey Everybody! My name it Tyler and I’m the president of Yo-Yo Club at my high school! And I teach people everyday and getting them hooked on yoyoing! It’s a GT, keep learning new tricks everyday and I’m learning new styles as well👊🏽 #yoyoforlife

This is a new forums account, forgot my password from 2013

I’ve been throwing on and off (mostly off) for 7 years and recently got back into the hobby. my favorite yoyo always will be the clywXonedrop summit.

Ummm, we can help you fix that…
I forgot my password… How to fix it.

Hello all! My name is Jeff. I am picking the yoyo back up from my childhood. I was never great but I thought this would be a fun hobby for me and my 9 year old son to get into. I think it would be great if him and I could do this together and have some fun. I bought him a yoyo for Christmas. I bought myself a Sherpa and a YYF Replay to learn on. We will see how this goes. I would really love for my son to really like it and take it far. I look forward to meeting some great people on here

Welcome to both you, Jeff, and you son. I am sure it will be great, the 2 of you, spend yo yo time together.

Hello, mOonman_v ( also known as rObot mOon on here).

Been throwing fixed axles since 1987 and ball bearings since 1999.

I love fixed axle Wooden , undersized and Titanium yoyos.

I am an advanced player.

And if you are new to yoyoing don’t hesitate to shoot me question if you have a question.

Hello!

I recently stumbled upon some old Yoyojams from when I was in college, and after throwing them around for a little while I realized that I am still super into this! Imagine my surprise finding YYJ shut down :frowning: Their celcons were my fave, since I never really messed with metals. I was actually fairly active online on another forum, nearly a decade ago (oh my GOD). I lurked a lot in modding and BST sections because I loved getting my plastics sili-recessed, dying halves, painting caps, etc. Peep my old Harry Potter Golden Snitch YYJ Kickside!

But college happened - got busy with other stuff, got strapped for cash, sold off 90% of my yoyo collection, and gave up the hobby. Anyway, I kinda want to pick it up again! Speaking of which, I have a YYJ Kickside with a starburst half that I’d like to silicone recess. Any modders out there still do that? Is that still a thing? Have plastics gotten even better now, or have they been completely overtaken by metals? Excited to see what’s up these days :smiley:

Welcome! Check out yoyospirit on the forums here for mods! :slight_smile:

Heyo! My name is Sergio Manuel, I am 13, and I have been yo-yoing since my grandma (on my Father’s Side) has given me some kind of Looping yoyo with LED lights, BUT, it came with a CD, and i learned most of my tricks from Yomega.
Currently, I think I am a level… I don’t really know… So I can do ladder escape and stuff like dat, If u know what level that is, pls let me know.
My favorite trick is Mack 5, 'cause it’s the first combo-cool looking tricks I learned, and I completely master it, so if I wanna show a trick to someone, I usually do a combo with this trick included.
So yeah, I am really looking forward to mastering THIS AMAZING YOYO SKILL, and I’m hoping I can qualify to enter competitions in the future
But who knows…

thank you for reading.

Hello,

My name is Leroy. I can’t tell you how long I’ve been yo-yoing but, I can tell you it all started when I wasn’t behaving in school and my father grounded me for 9 months till practically the end of the school year! However, during that time I was given a rubix cube and a yo-yo. I had much more success with the yo-yo ha! Since then I’ve been yo-yoing on and off. I recently got back into though after getting tired of video games. I can take my yo-yo where ever when ever.

1 Like

Hi All

My names Dave and I’m from the UK. found this forum while researching whats the best Yoyo for a beginner getting back into throwing. I had a Duncan Proyo as a kid and loved it. got quite good with it but then lost interest when i discovered cars :slight_smile:

Now i want to get back into Yoyo’s and I’ve ordered a Yoyo Factory Hubstack, a Yoyo Factory DV888, some spare strings, some thin lube, thick lube and a none responsive bearing for the DV888 so that should keep me busy for a while. Anything you would recommend for a beginner, I’m currently practising how to bind again. Eventually id like a horizon, an edge and maybe a string off Yoyo but I’ve got a while to go yet.

Welcome!

1 Like

Hey, my name is caden and I live in Utah. I have only been to young for six months but I’m getting decently good and am trying to get better I currently have the skyva yoyo and I’m trying to save up for the horizon yoyo

My name is Dan live in ft lauderdale fl. Haven’t been throwing recently but slowly getting back into it!

Thank you,

Ive gotten into the pursuit after 25 years. I started with a Imperial and graduated to Butterfly. Got on with life and now that my son is 10 he has shown interest in learning. Boy how the game has changed. Just looking to learn more that I can trickle down to him . Its been a great bonding experience. Hes able to up and down his YYF Replay responsive now we’re going to swap out the bearing and get unresponsive.
Thanks again, glad to be back

1 Like