Introduce Yourself!

My name is William, and I’m from the big island of Hawai’i.
I remember playing with yoyos in elementary (grammar) school, but I think I stopped after becoming frustrated with not being able to get the yoyo to sleep.
About 2 years ago I was at work cleaning out an old storeroom and came across a brandless, very low-quality yoyo. Within a couple days I could do a bunch of the basic tricks, and by the end of the week I had ordered a duncan flipside.
I threw that thing night and day until the response pads came out (I think I got some lube in there and it screwed up the adhesive), and so after a couple months of use I stopped throwing entirely.

Then, about 6 months ago, I found my flipside while cleaning out my truck. I had recently bought some silicone to fill a hole in a water bucket of mine, and, having read about making your own response pads, decided to give it a go. The silicone was terrible but it worked, and after a couple months of solid play I decided that this was something I enjoyed and bought a black Shutter.
I received the shutter right around the start of 2015 and am very very happy with it.
I now own 7 yoyos and have started my addiction in earnest.

I have no friends that throw so throwing felt strange initially because I felt that I was spending significant time with a ‘children’s toy’. But, after spending some time looking around on places like this forum I have come to realize that, while marketed heavily to young people, yoyos have ALWAYS been enjoyed by people of all ages, and that there is no shame in having fun with them.

Looking forward to learning and sharing with the community!

welcome… your story is like many others… they started young and the parasite attached then…

enjoy the new hobby and remember to have fun.

1 Like

narmada808, Welcome adult who plays with a child’s toy. And considering what some of these yoyo’s cost, they are no longer child’s play.

Hello! My name is Mark. I’m a college student, a pretty stressed out one too, that just happened to be looking for a hobby to vent my frustrations. There happened to be a yoyo store near my school that had all of these brands I haven’t heard of. They carry yoyojams, yoyofactories, C3s and even Duncans which were pretty much unheard of since all of my previous experience with a yoyo was through the super yoyo anime. I saved up for a shiny new Counterattack, learned how to bind and couldn’t put the yoyo down. I was hooked. I plan to spend my summer learning the more advanced tricks since I’m only now learning advanced part 2. I hope to learn a lot in these forums, the community looks real active. Cheers!

^Welcome to the forums, Mark. You’ll learn a lot here. I know I did.

1 Like

Welcome to the yoyoexpert forums. There are alot of helpful people here, and you’ll find all the info you need on yoyoing here. Alot of knowledgeable people that I have found helpful. I to am new to yo-yoing, coming up on 1 month. Look forward to learning with you man.

Welcome aboard! I find that throwing a yo-yo is a pretty good way to focus and put other concerns out of my mind for a while.

This is definitely the first time I’ve seen Duncan referred to as obscure. :slight_smile:

Hello there,

While I haven’t had any type of yoyo in my hand for a very long time I have a DV888 in the mailbox right now waiting for me to get home. I remember really enjoying yoyos when I was younger and trying to pull off cool tricks…can’t wait to get back into it. What really got me back into it was the Massdrop Summit. I bought into it and realized I should get a decent starter and there I was doing research on decent mod-able starters. I should say it didn’t end there as I already contributed to the YYF Ti Dream as well, lol. This will not end well the way things are going. Looking forward to being on here!

A little bit more about myself, I make spin tops on a manual lathe. My Facebook group is Symeon MetalCrafts(https://www.facebook.com/groups/662337913885319/). Here are a few examples of my work. Maybe I will try a yoyo when I figure out how they function a little bit better.

Thanks,
Charles

ace… those spin tops are amazing… you should have no problem getting yoyos made if you can do that.

1 Like

^Wow those look amazing good job

1 Like

I have been searching for an appropriate skill toy for months. I love working with dexterity and learning “unpractical” skills.
When I had all but given up my search and reverted back to simple baoding balls, I received a yoyo for Easter. A Duncan Imperial, fixed axle and whatnot. My mom picked it up from Walgreens for 3 bucks, little did she know that I would pick it up and never put it back down.
I’m an 18 year old Southern Hippie, residing in Atlanta and looking for fellow Georgia throwers! I intend to use yoyoing as a meditative practice, an alternative to being still; as well as the social aspect of niche groups like throwers! Not to mention the delight I feel when I manage to pull a long sleeper or get a loop or two. I’m trying my luck with 2a, I have two oracles on the way now! My sister does poi, so I’m hoping that I can apply some of that to my looping.
The site, tutorials, and community here all look like something I’d definitely like to be a part of!

You will be PUMPED on those oracles man, big step up from an imperial.
Good choice of username as well ;D

Hey all!

My name is Zipster, im located in the UK and have been playing on and off for a few years, trying to progress through the Advanced Trick list on here (Just got Kwijibo down).

Bought myself a new Onedrop Benchmark 2014 ‘H’ in blue, I love it, its incredibly smooth to play with and the bearing is now silent after a little maintenance, although I did ding it on my slate kitchen floor but hey ho its a toy after all it was a shock but a relief at the same time.

Can wait to get involved with this forum

Welcome zipster

Hey, my name’s Sean, and I’m getting back into yoyos now. I throw off and on but I’m really thinking of progressing now. I don’t like following toutorials so I have of late resorted to just flipping string around and having fun with it any way I can. I’m also trying to expand my mounts to get more things to try. Not in a club or anything, just your average n00b. Site seems cool so I may be here often.

Welcome Sean! As long as you are having fun with your yoyo(s) you have learned the real purpose of the sport.

Hey, I’m Kevin. I have been yoyoing for about 10 years now. I used to be very involved in the Extreme Spin and Yoyonation forums (RIP) and after they went down, I started yoyoing on my own without involving myself too much in the community. I tried competing a couple times and meeting new people, but my distance from “real” (not internet-dependent) community made holding contact difficult.

A couple years ago I found Yoyoexpert when I decided to start teaching yoyoing at a summer camp I work for and needed equipment. It has sparked a new interest in cultivating friendships via yoyos and I just caved and decided to get involved in forums again. I’m excited to see where yoyoing has come and how I can be a part of it’s growth as a sport! :slight_smile:

Welcome to the forums, Kevin. I just gotta say that I’m laughing at that avatar you got. :smiley:

1 Like

I use that image interchangeably for “you seriously think that?” and “I’m completely and utterly lost in what you just said.” It seemed relevant in a forum setting. Ha!

:smiley: Yes, that will fit in nicely here. You’ll use it quite a lot.