Duncan Mosquito Review

I picked up 2 of these last week at Walmart for $5 a piece to get my son & me started on something with a butterfly shape & a ball bearing. Even though I’m a noob I could tell that they needed more weight, but I wanted to keep it to the rim. I found them simple to disassemble. I formed 4 circles of 12 gauge solid copper wire for each yoyo, and inserted 2 on each side, keeping them outside the screws that hold the body to the cap. Voila! that took the weight to around 60 grams, and increased spin time and stability appreciably. They’re held in place by the insulation around the wire, and don’t ratlle or move at all. Now that the friction pads are starting to wear, the responsiveness is better, and I’m starting on some of the intermediate string tricks and binding.

So for five bucks, and a bit of time & scrap wire, you can have a nice little yoyo to get started with, or to give a young kid to bring to school or on a trip without worrying about cost. Of course, I’m already planning my next purchase, since it seems I’m hooked. Hmmm… Velocity for easing into it, Lyn Fury to just get in there & learn, or right to a Dark Magic…???