Please explain to my Bro...

My bro is 17 and im 14. He keeps callin me names and stuff becuase i play with a yoyo. He just walked in and i said im gonna ask my mom if i can maybe try out a contest. Which is the Massachusetts State contest. Im in NJ. So my brother commented and said that its time for you to grow up and stop playing with a yoyo. He also said that that he isnt waiting 7 hours in the car to watch a dumb yoyo contest. Anyways do you win money in yoyo contest please post about this so i can prove to my bro that yoyoing isnt stupid and is a fast growing sports these days!

Update....

I just walked in his room and he actually payed attention to what i was doing and i did plastic whip in front of him and braintwister and his eyes just bulged out… And he “Woah that was cool” and he changed his mind about saying yoyoing is dumb…

You dont usually win money, and if you do it might be like 20 bucks and a bunch of string. But yoyoing is just like any other sport. Does he do football or somthing, just ask him why do does football and more than likely it will be the same reason we yoyo, for the thrill and the fun and the entertainment as well as a challenge!!

more than often people who dis throwers are people who are jealous of throwers (dont bring that up with him) but yah its a sport and if you like yoyoing he should respect that

Actually I’ve seen prizes up to $500 for first. It really depends on the contest and sponsors.
Tell him that there are more than a few thousand yoyoers that are over the age of 25. Also tell him to mind his own business. It’s none of his concern. If you like it then don’t bother with what he’s saying.

thanks guys for posting this now i have somethin to tell him… but i know 1 thing if i do do contest ill start getting reconginzed by pros and maybe ill have a shot at being sponsored by yyj

Do a trick infront of him. And when he says somthing… Toss him the yoyo… While he is distracted by catching it punch him in the mouth…

No… Dont do that, unless you can take him… But really, look at him and say… Really man? Dont you have anything better to do than bug me?

Or stop yoyoing for a while and start bugging him… Let him think that he made you quit and now your looking for somthing new to do, like HIS hobby… He probably wont mind when you go back to yoyoing…

ok

Do a trick, give the yoyo to him and tell him to do it.

Sorry, but yoyo is not a sport.
I agree it’s very fun and challenging, but certainly not a sport.

Well, I’m 57 years old, and I love to yoyo. I’m sorry your brother is putting you down. Enjoy the yoyoing.

“Sport is an activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively…Sport is commonly defined as an organized, competitive and skillful physical activity requiring commitment and fair play…”

Rules? Yep.
Customs? Yep.
Competitive? Yep.
Organized? Yep.
Skillful physical activity? Yep.
Requires commitment and fair play? Yep.

It seems like a sport to me.

3 Likes

DM XXI - For the record, I’m a 24 year old middle school math teacher. For fun I unicycle, juggle, breathe fire, stilt walk, do sleight of hand, spin plates, balance things, and of course yoyo. I do pretty much anything you could see in a circus. I don’t consider any of those things “kid’s stuff” or something I need to grow out of. I’m actually pretty new to yo-yoing, in fact, one of my students was doing it one day before class and I was impressed by what he was doing, so I bought a FHZ and started learning. Within a few weeks, 90% of the folks I met who also yoyo (like Takeshi and Noel Kuntz) are between 21-30. It’s definitely not a “kid’s toy.” It’s like juggling in my book; sure there are young people who can do it, but most people who juggle seriously aren’t kids. Yoyos are a skill toy. Most likely your brother plays video games, which are unskilled-toys in my book. In other words they don’t take much skill and don’t benefit you in any way, they just rot your brain. He just wants to feel like he’s “cooler” than you, and “more mature,” so likely, anything you do will invite ridicule from him.
Bottom line: Ignore it. Despite your age, he’s only a 17 year old kid who can’t yoyo.

nice :slight_smile:

DanCDow, do you live in Indiana and go to the yoyo club meetings? Because I go to them and meet with both Noel and Takeshi.

If you consider the sport division it is a sport ,why:

it does take practice
it does take coordination
it does take skill
it is fun
there a re competitions on it
and some people spend their lives yoyoing as a job take Duncancrew for example

PS: No you dont get paid cash you get paid in yo-yos, witch is even better.

yup, I’m the new guy coming since November. who are you?

Brayten, I went to the January meeting this year did you go?

I’ll send you a PM

If they call NASCAR a sport, I think we can call yoyoing a sport. ;D